Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
BeckyEsq
Mouseketeer.

Husband Has Brain Tumor

Hi everyone. A couple of months ago I had just started planning our daughter's first trip to WDW. I haven't been around lately because on the Monday before Thanksgiving my husband was diagnosed with a primary brain tumor on his left temporal lobe. It is a Grade 3 and he is currently receiving radiation and chemotherapy. They cannot operate because he would lose his speech. He is 38 years old. Our daughter is 2. I would appreciate any prayers that you might send our way. For now our trip is still going to go forward, although I may need some advice if we find we have to move it for some reason. We will have a better sense of what is happening after he finishes his treatments and has a scan done a month later (in March). Things have been very difficult as I am trying to hold down a full time job, care for our daughter while my husband is not able to help like he used to do, and care for him as well. I know many people here have dealt with cancer themselves and for family members, and I just appreciate any thoughts, prayers or even advice. I really enjoy this community so just wanted to share.

Becky
DisneyLand 6/05
Wilderness Lodge 8/06
Port Orleans Riverside 8/13
*now planning* POR Royal Guest Room 8/14

Is She Ready To Be A Princess? August 2013 Trip Report
BeckyEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Brook730
Mouseketeer

Oh wow I am so sorry to hear that you all will be in my thoughts and prayers. We are all here if you need advice or just need to talk.
Brook730 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

I am sending loads of good thoughts your way. Why this happens, I wish I knew. My heart goes out to you. Stay strong. Being the care giver is hard let alone working full time and having a toddler to care for all the while having a very sick husband who is more then likely wondering why him. Lets all pray that the tumor gets so little it actually can't be seen.

Bless you .
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
lilmissbehaved
Earning My Ears

Becky-

If you need someone to talk to please feel free to reach out to me via PM... my husband (6 years back and he's now 38) had a primary brain tumor (stage 2). He had successful surgery at the time but it came back about a year ago now and he had proton beam radition.. My kids are 4 and 9.. Know sometimes being the care giver is hard and just wanted to put it out there that i have had similar experiences if you need to vent.

Grace
lilmissbehaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

I'm so sorry your family has to go through this

I will most absolutely keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have some sort of help for yourself as well. That has to be most difficult at any time, but will a young child even more so.

This is a great community, you are so right on. Check on in whenever you can or feel you would like to..XO
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

I am so sorry for what your family is going through.......you will be added to my prayers.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Praying for your family and the doctors handling his care!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Not much help but a ray of hope. My father had a brain tumor. That was 16 years ago and he is still going strong.

Don't lose hope.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Hi Becky,

Has anyone mentioned using a gamma knife radiation on the tumor? Gamma Knife is a powerful ray of radiation that is used on non operative tumors. My mom had a brain tumor and they used this on her and is shunk her tumor. Currently a friend of the family has also had the gamma knife and his tumor shrunk.

The treatment involves a one time high dose of radiation that will continue to shrink the tumor over several months.

The Cleveland Clinic here in Ohio is a great place to seek help. Here is a link for you

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/brain_...y/default.aspx

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

My aunt was diagnosed with stage IV brain cancer several years ago, doctors giving her less than a year to live. Well, she lived and battled it for 5 years after the diagnosis. Your journey isn't an easy one or fair one, but stay strong and you have my prayers! My best to you and your family.
disneydee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
DisneyFairytale
DIS Veteran

Sorry to read about the news. It must be so difficult. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. E-Hugs sent your way.
DisneyFairytale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
MomiTo2SwtGuys
DIS Veteran

So sorry for what you are going through. I know it has to be tough to take care of a small child, work and be the caregiver for your husband. Sending tons of prayers your way. I hope you will be able to go on your disney trip as a family.

MomiTo2SwtGuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
crackerjack21
Earning My Ears

Thoughts and prayers are out to you. My brother had a brain tumour 20 years ago. Gave him 3 months to live. Said they never saw anything like it. It was like a web throughout his brain, inoperable. He lived 15 years and it was a good life. Worked, played etc. Most of the time in remission. He passed 10 years ago. Research has come so far since his passing. Don't lose hope.
crackerjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Prayers to your whole family. It is definitely tough to juggle taking care of everyone AND holding down a full time job. While not the same, my husband did have cancer many years back and it can be exhausting trying to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. You just do what you can, and not try to do too much. Laundry needs to get done? Yeah..it can wait another day. Try to take a little time for yourself.

I think planning a trip to Disney can help take you away from reality for just a bit. Whether it's planning your ADRs, or watching Youtube videos of the rides, getting planning advice on the DIS.....it can all be therapeutic in a sense!

Please keep us updated!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: