Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Polaroid at Disney?

Has anyone ever brought a Polaroid camera to WDW, either an old one or one of those new, compact ones? The reason I ask is because I had a little idea to use a Polaroid to take pictures of the characters, and then get them to sign them, and when I get home I can make something for my wall using the pictures. Any thoughts on this idea? It might be annoying to carry it around but they do have quite compact ones now.

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip
rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

They wouldn't allow you enough time with the character to wait for the photo to develop, so they'd be writing on it blindly. I don’t know about the newer instant cameras, but the Polaroid I had back in the 80s took absolutely terrible photos by today’s standards. You also can't cut those photos because of the chemicals inside.

If it were me, I'd give the characters a standard autograph book to write in. I'd then scan those pages and overlay their inscription onto the photo using Photoshop.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
rdunative
DIS Veteran

or you can take a frame matte and have them sign it and fill in the pics later.

rdunative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunative
Oh that's a good idea, I never thought of that!

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Though now that I think about it, a frame matte might be more awkward to carry around. Hm, I'll have to think about it. I really like the idea of decorating with polaroids but I'd have to be okay with them signing them before they develop. Would they even let me get the undeveloped pictures signed?

Last edited by rebeccaariel; 01-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Using an instant camera is something most people do for the look of the final picture. It's definitely a very different feel than digital. If you're good with the look, then go for it.

If I were doing it I'd just shoot and have the character sign on the white area while it's developing. Just make sure you get film that you don't have to shade while it's developing. I'd also avoid the mini instant films... they're just too small. And be prepared to spend a decent amount of cash on the film.

You could also consider cutting squares or rectangles of mat board that they can sign then you can mount in a frame with the pictures, as a collage, etc...

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
Using an instant camera is something most people do for the look of the final picture. It's definitely a very different feel than digital. If you're good with the look, then go for it.

If I were doing it I'd just shoot and have the character sign on the white area while it's developing. Just make sure you get film that you don't have to shade while it's developing. I'd also avoid the mini instant films... they're just too small. And be prepared to spend a decent amount of cash on the film.

You could also consider cutting squares or rectangles of mat board that they can sign then you can mount in a frame with the pictures, as a collage, etc...
It's definitely the "look" that I'm after.

Another idea I just had was to buy a pack or two of these picture frames

http://www.umbra.com/ustore/product/...me-white.store

They look like polaroids and aren't too big, so I can stuff a few in my bag each day. If I can find a marker that will work on them, I can just have the characters sign them and slip my digital photos into the frames when I get home. Do you guys think that's a better idea?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
coloneldebugger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaariel View Post

They look like polaroids and aren't too big, so I can stuff a few in my bag each day. If I can find a marker that will work on them, I can just have the characters sign them and slip my digital photos into the frames when I get home. Do you guys think that's a better idea?
I like polaroid frames and the matte from above. I have also seen some home made autograph books that have a signature page on one side and a place for a photo on the other.
coloneldebugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunative View Post

We have people sign picture frames whenever an employee is leaving our organization, and give them a framed picture of the building. Over the years, I've learned to start putting about 1/4" of blue painter's tape around the outside edges. This keeps people from writing in the part of the matte that will be hidden by the frame.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaariel View Post

While I think the frames would be a much easier proposition to carry out, I don't know that I'd personally go that way. I'm one who if I want a Polaroid look I'd rather use Polaroid and not fake it. There's something that's just inherently crappy about a real Polaroid image that's part of it's charm to me. Kind of like the reason that some of us use Holgas and other plastic lens cameras. But that's me and you have to do what is right for you.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick

While I think the frames would be a much easier proposition to carry out, I don't know that I'd personally go that way. I'm one who if I want a Polaroid look I'd rather use Polaroid and not fake it. There's something that's just inherently crappy about a real Polaroid image that's part of it's charm to me. Kind of like the reason that some of us use Holgas and other plastic lens cameras. But that's me and you have to do what is right for you.
I know exactly what you mean, and I still have to think about it a bit, but the frames are appealing because they're not just easier to carry around, but more cost effective. Yeah, it's not the real thing, which I would prefer, but it's probably a good alternative. Plus they can't get crushed in my bag, like real Polaroids might. Decisions, decisions!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: