Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Koda
Mouseketeer

What kind of food is offered after the 1/2?

Do they offer snacks for runners at the 1/2 finish? If so, what is usually offered?

Just trying to plan! Thanks!
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

They'll usually offer bagels, bananas, mini Clif bars, and some other things I usually skip because I'm not very hungry after a race. A couple of the mini Clifs and some Powerade is all I can stomach until I get back to my room.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

They had a little pre-boxed dealy at the Princess and the Disneyland Half this year...
Gluten free crackers, hummus or peanut butter, gummies, a chocolate...
I don't remember bagels, but I wasn't looking for them - I did the Race Retreat at the Princess, and was too busy looking for ice after the Disneyland while stumbling around that stupid parking lot in the stupid heat.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

The bagels may or may not be there.... Could be something like a pre-packaged muffin. There are also folks walking around offering cans of coke and diet coke (Really a diet coke - I just ran 13 or 26 miles - give me some sugar errrr high fructose corn syrup)

I read something that made me think the prepackaged boxes are coming to the weekend. I certainly hope not. I am also a let me have a water, a coke if offered and a couple sample sized cliff Builders bars. I may grab a nanner if I had a cramping issue in the race. I will also defer to my post race recovery drink as the primary thing I attempt to consume.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
chris84bond
Earning My Ears

After the ToT, it was the preboxed stuff. Cliff bar, gummies, spreadable cheese, crackers, cranberry/raisins IIRC. They had people handing out powerade, water, and fresh fruits (banana/oranges). In past races, the food has always been a mess, and while I would have LOVED to get a bunch of cliff bars, it was a heck of a lot more efficient than the tables of food. Hopefully, given they have a parking lot of space and a lot more runners running....they'll still table it, but seeing the efficiency of the prebox....I'd bet on that.
chris84bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
rocio
DIS Veteran

I like my pre-packaged snack box at the Princess. I can't even tell what was in it, I just liked what it said

"Congratulations Princess! Your 13.1 royal quest was an inspiration to the entire kingdom"
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

The main reason I do not like the box idea is that I, well, zoom into a gap at the Clif Bar section of the outer most line then move on. I am usually not wanting to stand on line after running 26 miles when most of the stuff in the box will go to waste.

I do agree that the box idea is an efficiency improvement. The last couple versions of the food tent were not very good. If it makes the lines move then I will applaud. Also, if it keeps Porky the Pig(I know wrong studio) from taking enough food for 5-10 people I think it a better system.

I will hold judgement til I see it
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio
I like my pre-packaged snack box at the Princess. I can't even tell what was in it, I just liked what it said

"Congratulations Princess! Your 13.1 royal quest was an inspiration to the entire kingdom"
I loved mine too! I was so happy what was in there was gluten free and dairy free for the most part!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Koda
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info! I am not much of an eater after I run either, so will have DH bring me my post-run chocolate milk in a little cooler. I also might pack my own bagel and peanut butter for a little later just in case none of the other food appeals to me.
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Bephus
DIS Veteran

It was a box after W&D so I going to go out on a limb and say it will be a box. I think it was similar to the other races: crackers and cheese, clif bar, some type of fruit. It was dark so I really can't remember what was in there and running at night was a different experience for me so I didn't eat anything until around 2:30 (after finishing at 11:50) so by then I was pretty delirious and I didn't eat from the box anyway. I plan on bringing what I need and anything they give me that I want will be bonus

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

I am a huge fan of the prepackaged boxes. It is so awesome to have gluten free choices. I can't eat clif bars, luna bars, bagels, etc, so being able to eat something at the end of a race that is not fruit or something that I have in my checked bag is awesome!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

If I remember correctly, at the Princess last year they also had fresh fruit at the finish and small cliff or maybe luna bars and coke/sprite and water.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
stitchfan18
DIS Veteran

Just a suggestion if you have room in your pocket during the race, I found out last year that it's much easier to juggle post race food if you have a bag. I had my phone in a large ziplock during the race, and pulled it out after getting my medal. It was perfect to hold all the food I wanted, but wasn't eating or drinking at that moment. Once I got some water, a powerade, mini Luna bar, and fruit, it was a life saver!

stitchfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

I, too, liked the boxes at ToT. They also had them after the 5k. At both I was given a water, a powerade, a banana and the box. Juggling it all was hard, though, so for Princess I plan to stick a plastic grocery bag in a pocket. I loved the full sized Clif Builder's Bar. It also had an Almond Roca, which was a real treat. The cheese and crackers and trail mix also hit the spot. I still haven't eaten the gummies. They are sitting in my candy dish. Lol
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: