Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #1096
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

checking in in 25 days. we stayed for one night(rouhgly 12 hrs) xmas 2011, loved the feel of it, checked into blt the next day. paying oop this time vs dvc so it will be nice to experience the entire resort. have 2 rooms booked with the baby so she can get sleep away from the big two. did hear on fb about the dance comp feb 2-3? and that pop is booked solid. am very worried about the dance crowd from what ive read about the noise factor. crowds at the park i can deal with, kids screaming and yelling routines outside our doors worry me.

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec)
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #1097
SL30
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg@eastlink.ca View Post
checking in in 25 days. we stayed for one night(rouhgly 12 hrs) xmas 2011, loved the feel of it, checked into blt the next day. paying oop this time vs dvc so it will be nice to experience the entire resort. have 2 rooms booked with the baby so she can get sleep away from the big two. did hear on fb about the dance comp feb 2-3? and that pop is booked solid. am very worried about the dance crowd from what ive read about the noise factor. crowds at the park i can deal with, kids screaming and yelling routines outside our doors worry me.
I don't like the sounds of that! When do you think they will check in?
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #1098
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I wanted to pop back in and tell you about my Dec. 2012 stay at Pop. I did a quick 2 day trip for the opening of Fantasyland. I booked the night before I drove down.

Check in was fast and easy. I was solo. I drove my husbands horribly uncomfortable car for 8 hours to get there so it was nice to check in and head to my room fast.

I was told the room was in the 60's but it was near the Mickey Phone and Foosball players so to me that was 70's.

But no matter - I was very happy when I saw I had a top floor room. Less plumbing noise that way.
When my DD and I stayed there when she was 8 years old, we had the worst room for us - bottom floor, people around us, lots of noise going on every morning and night from the plumbing and hearing people go to the bathroom. It was icky and I swore I'd never stay there again.

Well, never say never. This trip was a whole different one. I was top floor, had no neighbors, didn't hear a peep of plumbing at all. I did have to call maintenance regarding a missing sink stopper but they replaced it while I was in the parks that evening.

The room was clean and everything worked. (I do a precheck at every hotel I stay at before I unpack - flush toilet, check shower, check sink, check bed for bedbugs.)

The bed was comfortable. The fridge was perfect for holding a few waters and the juice I picked up.

I stopped at the food court for a snack and the food court was the same as always - crowded, loud and hard to move around in.
I decided to avoid it if possible and picked up some juice and bananas for the next 2 mornings breakfast. I knew I'd be eating my other meals in the parks.

The buses were fast that trip - I never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. Going back to the resort in the evening took longer but still I didn't have to wait for more than 2 buses before boarding.

I didn't spend much time shopping at Pop this trip either. I looked around the gift shop briefly but there wasn't anything I needed so I didn't get anything.

On my last morning before I drove home, I walked over to AoA which was fun to do. I doubt I'll ever stay there since I tend to go solo and those Little Mermaid rooms seem so far from the food court there but it was fun to check it out.

I enjoyed my stay at Pop this time. So I figure I'll go back to Pop again someday.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #1099
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
I wanted to pop back in and tell you about my Dec. 2012 stay at Pop. I did a quick 2 day trip for the opening of Fantasyland. I booked the night before I drove down.

Check in was fast and easy. I was solo. I drove my husbands horribly uncomfortable car for 8 hours to get there so it was nice to check in and head to my room fast.

I was told the room was in the 60's but it was near the Mickey Phone and Foosball players so to me that was 70's.

But no matter - I was very happy when I saw I had a top floor room. Less plumbing noise that way.
When my DD and I stayed there when she was 8 years old, we had the worst room for us - bottom floor, people around us, lots of noise going on every morning and night from the plumbing and hearing people go to the bathroom. It was icky and I swore I'd never stay there again.

Well, never say never. This trip was a whole different one. I was top floor, had no neighbors, didn't hear a peep of plumbing at all. I did have to call maintenance regarding a missing sink stopper but they replaced it while I was in the parks that evening.

The room was clean and everything worked. (I do a precheck at every hotel I stay at before I unpack - flush toilet, check shower, check sink, check bed for bedbugs.)

The bed was comfortable. The fridge was perfect for holding a few waters and the juice I picked up.

I stopped at the food court for a snack and the food court was the same as always - crowded, loud and hard to move around in.
I decided to avoid it if possible and picked up some juice and bananas for the next 2 mornings breakfast. I knew I'd be eating my other meals in the parks.

The buses were fast that trip - I never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. Going back to the resort in the evening took longer but still I didn't have to wait for more than 2 buses before boarding.

I didn't spend much time shopping at Pop this trip either. I looked around the gift shop briefly but there wasn't anything I needed so I didn't get anything.

On my last morning before I drove home, I walked over to AoA which was fun to do. I doubt I'll ever stay there since I tend to go solo and those Little Mermaid rooms seem so far from the food court there but it was fun to check it out.

I enjoyed my stay at Pop this time. So I figure I'll go back to Pop again someday.
Thanks for the review. I check in on Monday for 2 nights before meeting up with the POP Princess Janet B. I really do enjoy my solo time at POP ... easy to get around and I do believe they have some of the best bus service on property!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #1100
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL30 View Post
I don't like the sounds of that! When do you think they will check in?
not sure, im thinking maybe the day after us? im not really familiar with the whole dance thing in the us(im canadian), so im not sure when they would arrive.

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #1101
pamelasu1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We will be at Pop Jan. 31 - Feb. 6 and found out about the dance competition before we booked. We chose Pop over the All Stars and here is my reasoning: There should not be huge groups of dancers at Pop, as on their website for this Nationals competition, the resorts that are offered for them to stay at are the All Stars or CBR. Also, Pop is still showing availability for all room categories for that week, whereas the All Stars have limited availability (ie: only preferred or only suites). I realize there may still be dancers at Pop, but they would likely be staying on their own with their families, rather than with the larger groups. I have stayed onsite before during large competitions, and always avoided the resorts that were offered to the group on their website, and never had a problem with large groups at the resort we were at. Hope this helps ease your mind....I really think it will be okay!
[SIZE="1"]July 1976-offsite; Nov. 2004-FW campground; April 2005-offsite; Oct. 2005-offsite; Oct. 2008-POP; Feb. 2009-POFQ; Dec. 2-13, 2010-BC/CR/YC; Sept. 19-27, 2011 - Swan; Feb. 25-March 2, 2012 - offsite; Sept. 23 -Oct. 3, 2012 - offsite; Jan. 31-Feb. 7, 2013 - POR; Aug. 25-Sept. 4, 2013 - AoA Nemo/AKL; Sept. 8-13, 2014 - AKV Jambo.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #1102
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelasu1 View Post
We will be at Pop Jan. 31 - Feb. 6 and found out about the dance competition before we booked. We chose Pop over the All Stars and here is my reasoning: There should not be huge groups of dancers at Pop, as on their website for this Nationals competition, the resorts that are offered for them to stay at are the All Stars or CBR. Also, Pop is still showing availability for all room categories for that week, whereas the All Stars have limited availability (ie: only preferred or only suites). I realize there may still be dancers at Pop, but they would likely be staying on their own with their families, rather than with the larger groups. I have stayed onsite before during large competitions, and always avoided the resorts that were offered to the group on their website, and never had a problem with large groups at the resort we were at. Hope this helps ease your mind....I really think it will be okay!

immensley! thank you! ive got disney down pat....with a 7 and 5 yr old. with a nursing 5 month old? not so much. we usually stay in a studio with dvc but figured better to stay in two rooms so she can get some sleep, then i read of the comp on fb and went omg! guess my overruling the older two who wanted movies again was a wise choice. thanks again!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #1103
tarzansmom
I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

We have been to wdw multiple times over the years but haven't stayed at POP since 2006. We are thinking of staying there again this spring. Any changes I should be aware of?

2003- POR * 2005- POP * 2006- POP * 2008- POP/CSR * 2010- WL * 2011- CBR * 2013-?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #1104
Pudding mum
Earning My Ears

Less than 50 sleeps till pop!!! I was wondering as there will be myself dh and my two ds in a pop room wether I can ask for one of the put up beds so we can all have a night or two sleeping on our own is this allowed or do I have to rent one???? I have requested lakeside top floor after reading what you guys ave written lol
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #1105
pamelasu1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
immensley! thank you! ive got disney down pat....with a 7 and 5 yr old. with a nursing 5 month old? not so much. we usually stay in a studio with dvc but figured better to stay in two rooms so she can get some sleep, then i read of the comp on fb and went omg! guess my overruling the older two who wanted movies again was a wise choice. thanks again!
Yes, I think you made the right choice Glad to help!
[SIZE="1"]July 1976-offsite; Nov. 2004-FW campground; April 2005-offsite; Oct. 2005-offsite; Oct. 2008-POP; Feb. 2009-POFQ; Dec. 2-13, 2010-BC/CR/YC; Sept. 19-27, 2011 - Swan; Feb. 25-March 2, 2012 - offsite; Sept. 23 -Oct. 3, 2012 - offsite; Jan. 31-Feb. 7, 2013 - POR; Aug. 25-Sept. 4, 2013 - AoA Nemo/AKL; Sept. 8-13, 2014 - AKV Jambo.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #1106
pamelasu1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding mum View Post
Less than 50 sleeps till pop!!! I was wondering as there will be myself dh and my two ds in a pop room wether I can ask for one of the put up beds so we can all have a night or two sleeping on our own is this allowed or do I have to rent one???? I have requested lakeside top floor after reading what you guys ave written lol
They do not allow roll away beds at Pop, to the best of my knowledge. I have heard of some people bringing along an inflatable twin mattress. The rooms are pretty small, so it won't fit between the 2 beds, but I think I have heard of people moving the table and chairs and being able to fit the air mattress there, near the door.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #1107
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzansmom View Post
We have been to wdw multiple times over the years but haven't stayed at POP since 2006. We are thinking of staying there again this spring. Any changes I should be aware of?
The Pop rooms were refurbished in 2010 and now have a privacy curtain for the bathroom area. Carpeting, painting, and room decor were all updated, and the TVs are flat panel on top of smaller furniture.

Within the last year mini refrigerators were added to all the rooms along with free WiFi service.

Oh, and they happened to open a whole new resort, Art of Animation, across Hourglass Lake so you can walk across the bridge and visit there too. Just stay out of the pools!

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #1108
Pudding mum
Earning My Ears

That's a shame. I can't see me bringing an air bed from the uk think the dh might think I have finally gone potty if I pack an air bed
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #1109
mjperry
One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation. Right at the start of anything that's new, one little spark lights up for you.

Lol so what does potty mean? Has a whole different meaning across the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
July - 2010 - POP
June - 2011 - POP
*Plus Three Times Off Site, before I knew better.
My Disney Blog
http://www.interplantarypodcast.blogspot.com

T

Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #1110
cajunbaby1
DIS Veteran

52 days til I check in at Pop Century!! Having never stayed there this board has helped me alot.

Is the mini fridge big enough to hold a 1/2 gal of milk? gotta have my cereal.
Also is there an ice machine on every floor?

I;m so excited to get back to WDW I cant stand it
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: