Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #1876
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
I can't stand when people say "oh I ran this much at this pace and I was sooooo slow." first off, it's rude and secondly, it's clear they are either showing off or feel bad about themselves so need to make sure others who read it feel bad about themselves too.

Obviously I have seen this too on fb lately. Just say "I ran today! Go me!"

Let's all say that. I ran today! Go me!
I find no problem with someone mentioning how slow they felt with their pace and distance because for me there is a better understanding for a comparison.

This week I had 2 walks of 4.25 miles each. I think most people would read this and think that was nice and leave it at that. Now if I posted that I actually walked one at a 10:01mpm pace and the other at a 9:38mpm pace, another walker or a jogger/runner might have a problem that I could relate to or I could ask them a question if I knew their pace was similar.

Not bragging, just providing food for thought and maybe an opening for helpful advice.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #1877
lerxst
Marathoner

Pasta in the park night before marathon? Thoughts? Opinions from previous years?

We are toying with idea since tickets still available.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #1878
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I looked at ours a couple weeks ago, but didn't print them. And now they can't find us either.

something must be going on with the website.
I was on the Run Disney Facebook page earlier and it seems nobody can find themselves so I checked and sure enough, nothing for me either. Seems to be a website issue. It's a good thing I had already printed out my waiver.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #1879
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst View Post
Pasta in the park night before marathon? Thoughts? Opinions from previous years?

I can't give you an opinion from experience, but my DH and I are doing the Pasta in the Park Thursday night. I don't want to be out that late the night before the race. (Plus, my prerace meal is pizza, not pasta )
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #1880
kaf7878
Disney Addict!

Quote:

I thought about this (for the half) but ultimately decided to pass. I think it will be too much time on our feet and out too late considering the early start. We're not staying on property so I'm looking at waking up around 2ish--yikes!

It sounds fun though!!

In Training: 2015 Disney Half Marathon (possibly 2014 Wine and Dine)

Finisher 2013 Disney Half Marathon, 2006 Disney Marathon and 2005 Half Marathon
kaf7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #1881
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:

I have been to 2 of the 3 offered. You will read from many that it is an over priced rather bland pasta meal with little variety. If you have an annual pass or have been to the park on your pass, then I would concur about the pricing. Until 2013, the event was a Thursday event; it was also our first day on property. So we spent the day setting up camp, expo-ing and waiting on friends to arrive. We did not attend the parks. So having admission to Epcot be a part of the experience softens the costs, considerably.

The DJ at the event is excellent. You will see him at various events through the year. He is kind of the life of the party - he would probably be better received if folks were not trying to save energy. We find him entertaining and have seen him at the New Year's Epcot Celebration and a couple business events. He is also the guy with big Mickey gloves on the water bridge at mile 4 and change.

Obviously, with everything Disney, there is a character experience. Several will make the meal for photo ops.

Finally, they meal features a great spot for Illuminations.

Oh, I guess I should comment on the meal. I found the meal nice. It's not a meal that the buffet folks will gravitate towards due to the style and choices on the line. The food is of high quality, but not something I think I would eat the night prior to the run. It is actually a little too seasoned for my palette and knowing that i will be out and running the next morning. Generally, I try to avoid a heavy garlic load the day prior to a long run as my clothing tends to retain that smell for weeks.

I would say it a great meal to attend on Thursday or Friday if running the marathon. I would hate to 'waste' a lot of the park pass cost just to attend a meal then head back to the room 90 minutes prior to Illuminations.

Not sure if I helped, but my .02. Oh, if I did not have to wrangle 4 different arrivals on Thursday afternoon, I would attend this year.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #1882
kaf7878
Disney Addict!

Do you think the holiday decorations will still be up next weekend? Seems unlikely but I know in year's past they've kept them up until after marathon weekend.

In Training: 2015 Disney Half Marathon (possibly 2014 Wine and Dine)

Finisher 2013 Disney Half Marathon, 2006 Disney Marathon and 2005 Half Marathon
kaf7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #1883
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I was on the Run Disney Facebook page earlier and it seems nobody can find themselves so I checked and sure enough, nothing for me either. Seems to be a website issue. It's a good thing I had already printed out my waiver.
Can't find mine now, either.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #1884
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I read it was a website issue - something about the computer system is changing birthdates, so that is why people can't find themselves.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #1885
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaf7878 View Post
Do you think the holiday decorations will still be up next weekend? Seems unlikely but I know in year's past they've kept them up until after marathon weekend.
Traditionally decorations have been up through the end of the first weekend after New Years. So after tomorrow, they will start to disappear form the parks and resorts. You may see some if you arrive Wednesday and possibly on Thursday, but for the most part I would expect them to be gone.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #1886
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

Glad to see the waiver thing is more than just me... Had me concerned for a bit when I went to go print my waiver when I had good ink and there was zilch..

-em
Old 01-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #1887
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Remembering I am not a doctor, I would take NSAIDs for the next 3-4 days in an effort to lessen the lingering inflammation in the feet. I would ice the sore areas if still showing pain and sit back and watch the playoffs today.

At your option based upon how you feel, a run tomorrow , Monday or Tuesday that in rather short may be in order to relax the mind. In addition or optionally, I would think of running a light and playful run the morning after arriving at WDW. I want to emphasize that if you are feeling gun-shy these are optional and I would not make any of them. I like the Friday morning run just to shake out the stress of traveling with friends and family to MCO and to loosen up the legs and clear the mind.

I would not take NSAIDs the day prior to the race and then not until your renal system is back to normal post race.

Finally, if you do not make another run until race day, you will still be OK on the run. Just start off a little slow in the first mile and play the rest of the day by ear.

Have fun. You will make the finish in fine fashion
Thanks coach! I have been taking some ibuprofen, just haven't really noticed it helping.

I was thinking of doing what you said before I posted, a short run tomorrow for sure (I'm going back to the doctor on Monday for a follow up) and then I'm in the meetup on Friday, so I figured that could be my warm up for the race. Thanks for your help! Definitely gun shy!
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #1888
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
I think the latter, and I would only go out for a short shake-out run to see how your're feeling. I tend to err on the side of "give your legs a rest".

Hope your tendonitis heals quickly.

Maura
Thanks Maura. I have three different kinds of bands, inserts and tape for Sunday!
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #1889
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio

What do you use when you run in the summer? You don't have any shorts or capris you can wear?
I've worn my PerformX tights in 70-80 degree weather, but it definitely wasn't a 26 mile run. I think I should be fine in the Revolution tights, I just need my butt covered.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #1890
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Speaking of computer issues, has anyone been able to check in online? I have been trying for the past few days but keep getting an error message. Maybe it is because I am booked at BCV but am not DCV? I booked through Disney over the phone if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: