Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Post injury workouts-Tink is in 18 days....

I got some great advice here after posting about an ankle injury I suffered after adding too much speed, too far in new shoes. I also saw my doctor who didn't suspect any significant damage-just soreness to my tendon. She said I could return to running as soon as my ankle felt well enough. I am so fortunate to have a doctor who is a runner and understands my training schedule! Of course she advised me to call if it didn't get better so she could give a referral to a sports med. doctor.

Anyway, 11 days post injury I felt well enough to do a 5k I had signed up for. About 4 days later I got a pinched nerve that affected me from hip to toe on the left side... The same side as my ankle injury.

That was on December 19th. I rested until yesterday. The pain from the pinched nerve is no longer constant, mostly hurts at night now. So, yesterday I did a some core and quad exercises followed by a 2 mile walk on my treadmill. I feel a bit sore from the core and quad exercises today, as I haven't done them in 6 months or more. But I feel it is important to resume them-I had been doing a 75 minute core/strength routine 2-3 times a week. Today I walked a 5k on the treadmill with a couple running intervals.

My question is this: since I have the Tink half this month and the Princess next month, should I skip the core and quad exercises until after the Princess and just focus on getting to the starting line healthy and strong? Ultimately I know the core and quad work will help prevent injury. But with the muscle soreness today, I am wondering if now is the right time....

Thanks for reading this long post, and any advice.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Reep
Mouseketeer

Seems like I would stick to the minimum until you know if you are good to go or not. Anything extra is risky. Core work at this time is unlikely to help much. If you decide to do the races, just back way off and take it easy.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

I am all over a full range of training, but starting up something new while coming into a race injured may be a recipe for disaster.

Think of it this way, you do a tough core workout today and then run in the morning. You are suffering from DOMS as a result of the core workout... you will be running from a compromised position - attempting to guard against upsetting the soreness in the core - this may create compensations in your gait. Since you are most likely compensating from your recent injury, this can be an invitation to further injury.

Just get through Tink.. then pour it on
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Thanks for the replies. Definately want to avoid DOMS! Had it baaaaad a couple years ago when I started working with a trainer. I took it pretty slow the other day, but probably will cut it out completely until I get back from CA.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

Had to verify DOMS.
Quote:
Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) describes a phenomenon of muscle pain, muscle soreness or muscle stiffness that occurs in the day or two after exercise. This muscle soreness is most frequently felt when you begin a new exercise program, change your exercise routine, or dramatically increase the duration or intensity of your exercise routine.
I have had it, never paid attention to the acronym. I have learned something today. May not remember it tomorrow, but today I am enriched!
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: