Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #1621
Buzzfan1966
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobMrsZ View Post
Alright I need all the tips I can get...we are thinking about taking my DS in February and he'll be 16months..what are some things you did that worked and didn't work..
We took both my boys at that age and unfortunately they tended to get sick............this is way TMI, but keep a big ziploc with you always. I think the excitement and the environment gets to the little ones quickly. My first time I was unprepared and it happened on a bus. The next time, I had my zippy and at least it kept everything contained.

No, I don't have sickly children.............but both of them got sick on their first trip. It has never happened again, but I still keep my zippy.

If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

Jimmy Buffett
Buzzfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #1622
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

Definitely shipping water ahead to your resort! We're getting there on the 3rd so I shipped a case of water and a case of Coke to Pop Century from Staples! Cost me $14 with free shipping!

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
lvcourtneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #1623
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzfan1966

We took both my boys at that age and unfortunately they tended to get sick............this is way TMI, but keep a big ziploc with you always. I think the excitement and the environment gets to the little ones quickly. My first time I was unprepared and it happened on a bus. The next time, I had my zippy and at least it kept everything contained.

No, I don't have sickly children.............but both of them got sick on their first trip. It has never happened again, but I still keep my zippy.
We were at POR in Sept and took the boat to DTD. On the way back a girl about 14 or 15 sitting next to me vomited all over. It got on me, the floor, the seat, every where. Not only did it get everywhere (did I mention it got on me?) she just say vomiting and neither her nor her grandmother said anything! When they released the passengers at POFQ, they changed seats and didn't do anything. We had our children, who thankfully had fallen asleep, and didn't have the luxury of moving. When we got off at POR they just calmly got up and walked off the boat. No "Sorry I vomited on you.". No "Captain I'm afraid there is a mess", nothing.

We ended up being the ones to tell the Captain that the back quarter of his boat was unusable.

So the moral of this story.... it isn't just little kids so remember the ziploc bag and the Purell. We ended up going straight to the general store and buying a bottle of peroxide and alcohol so I could run a Class A disinfectant protocol before we got back to the room.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #1624
hutch0830
Earning My Ears

There have been so many good tips! One small one I can add would be to book your TS for lunch instead of dinner. We like the break in the middle of the day and the prices tend to be cheaper. This is our alternative to going back to the hotel. We hate wasting so much time with the bus system and would rather stay in a park. This is a good way for us to still get a nice break.
hutch0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #1625
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
We were at POR in Sept and took the boat to DTD. On the way back a girl about 14 or 15 sitting next to me vomited all over. It got on me, the floor, the seat, every where. Not only did it get everywhere (did I mention it got on me?) she just say vomiting and neither her nor her grandmother said anything! When they released the passengers at POFQ, they changed seats and didn't do anything. We had our children, who thankfully had fallen asleep, and didn't have the luxury of moving. When we got off at POR they just calmly got up and walked off the boat. No "Sorry I vomited on you.". No "Captain I'm afraid there is a mess", nothing.
That just blows my mind. I would be absolutely mortified if I vomited on someone. I don't even like to vomit in front of my husband. I would have apologized profusely and I can't imagine anyone who might be traveling with me just sitting there like nothing was happening, instead of trying to help. I don't know what the boats are like, but couldn't she have leaned over the edge or something?

Good tip about the ziplock bag, BTW. I have two kids with reflux and I'm already planning to bring the puke buckets for the car and hotel just in case. I figure it will be my luck for one of them to get sick when I don't have anything. I'm also going to make sure I'm extra diligent about giving them their meds and I'm going to start giving all the kids probiotics. I've already gotten obsessive about hand washing and we're not leaving for 3 weeks.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #1626
Buzzfan1966
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
That just blows my mind. I would be absolutely mortified if I vomited on someone. I don't even like to vomit in front of my husband. I would have apologized profusely and I can't imagine anyone who might be traveling with me just sitting there like nothing was happening, instead of trying to help. I don't know what the boats are like, but couldn't she have leaned over the edge or something?

Good tip about the ziplock bag, BTW. I have two kids with reflux and I'm already planning to bring the puke buckets for the car and hotel just in case. I figure it will be my luck for one of them to get sick when I don't have anything. I'm also going to make sure I'm extra diligent about giving them their meds and I'm going to start giving all the kids probiotics. I've already gotten obsessive about hand washing and we're not leaving for 3 weeks.
Keep the gallon ziplocs and I keep purell wipes to wipe them down if necessary. It has never happened again, but I still carry one because I will NEVER forget how horrible it was to have my 18 month old throw up on a bus. I felt terrible. Then when my next son came along and did the same thing, I was prepared. YOu just never know.

Jimmy Buffett
Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #1627
Buzzfan1966
Earning My Ears

Okay, I have my Disney bag packed with anything I can pre-pack(all of my Dollar Tree items). I even have my Disney backpack with camera and spare batteries and a medicine bottle with quarter, quarter, penny loaded in.

We are leaving so early Tuesday morning that I know I'm going to forget something. I have not gotten a big green alien head so other dissers will not be able to find me unless I can come up with another idea to identify myself.........any suggestions?

We don't have a Home Depot here.

Jimmy Buffett
Old 12-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #1628
mindy6540
Earning My Ears

Just Keep Swimming

I'm tripping down memory lane today. Doing a last minute check on the Dis to make sure I'm prepared and happened upon this thread.
My first experience on the Dis boards I was preparing to take dd 9, dd 7 and ds 4 on their first Disney trip. Today, I'm packing to take dd 20, dd 18 and ds 15 on what is probably our last family Disney trip that they are all still living under the same roof. Dd(20) is graduating college this year and dd (18) is going off to college.

Thank you Dis boards, and fellow Disneyophiles, I'm looking back at previous trips and I couldn't have created the memories I did without help.

Best advice? Just go with the flow. Don't look at the Disney vacation as the trip of a lifetime. It might be, but it might not. Just relax, don't worry if you didn't get to see Tigger at the character breakfast. Don't worry if it's raining. Bad service? meh Disney is always willing to correct a mistake or help.
Disney magic happens when you least expect it. So, take a breath, and don't worry about what you didn't get to do, it's about who you're with.

Just keep swimming...Just keep swimming
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #1629
Buzzfan1966
Earning My Ears

Dissers Id

I have seen on the board that you are supposed to get an alien Mickey head from Home Depot. I have read the entire board in 3 days so this might be something that has stopped because I have seen it recently.

Are Disser's still using any form of identification to pick out other Disser's at WDW???

Jimmy Buffett
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #1630
Samish
Earning My Ears

We just heading back from a week at WDW. Did all the four parks - had the best time ever. Thanks to whoever suggested the cut up sponges with dishwashing liquid. It helped a lot.

Just one suggestion - its getting really cool there at nights (40s). I suggest people take jackets and blankets (to spread on the ground and benches when wet). We packed these in one backpack with snacks for the waiting lines. The lines to get the backpacks checked at the park entrances aren't as bad as some people made it sound it.... we never had to wait more than 10 min in those lines.
Samish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #1631
kmccain
DIS Veteran

Here are 2 tips that i did not read:

Hydration drink packs to add to your water like Crystal Light or Gatoraide will take the edge off Bonine or Draminine. They lessen the dryed out effect you get from them.

I made my kids wait until the last day to buy souvenirs. I told them to keep track of what they wanted. Then we went to The World of Disney in Downtown Disney and i used my Disney Visa and get an extra 10% off. That way they got a little extra to spend too.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #1632
Kauai4life
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=Srbright;47020207]We were at POR in Sept and took the boat to DTD. On the way back a girl about 14 or 15 sitting next to me vomited all over. It got on me, the floor, the seat, every where. Not only did it get everywhere (did I mention it got on me?) she just say vomiting and neither her nor her grandmother said anything! When they released the passengers at POFQ, they changed seats and didn't do anything. We had our children, who thankfully had fallen asleep, and didn't have the luxury of moving. When we got off at POR they just calmly got up and walked off the boat. No "Sorry I vomited on you.". No "Captain I'm afraid there is a mess", nothing.

I am so sorry this happened to you, but not surprised as much as we love Disney, it has to be the place to find some of the worst manners you will ever will see.
Kauai4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #1633
tngal
DIS Veteran

I just want to know what kind of bag you all carry around at WDW? Some of these are really good ideas and i know that you will use them at some point, but even if you just pick and choose the ones you think will apply to you, it would be a lot to tote around. We are (hopefully) going to WDW for the first time this year (we've had 3 failed attempts). For example, i had read that, when riding the rides where you'll get wet, to bring everyone a pr of flip flops and a poncho. The poncho i might could see packing and not taking up a lot of room, they seem to get those suckers folded pretty small, but if we all took a pr of shoes, that would have to be a big bag lol. Please dont think im downing anyone by asking this, i am honestly curious!

Lisa
tngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #1634
Samish
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngal
I just want to know what kind of bag you all carry around at WDW? Some of these are really good ideas and i know that you will use them at some point, but even if you just pick and choose the ones you think will apply to you, it would be a lot to tote around. We are (hopefully) going to WDW for the first time this year (we've had 3 failed attempts). For example, i had read that, when riding the rides where you'll get wet, to bring everyone a pr of flip flops and a poncho. The poncho i might could see packing and not taking up a lot of room, they seem to get those suckers folded pretty small, but if we all took a pr of shoes, that would have to be a big bag lol. Please dont think im downing anyone by asking this, i am honestly curious!

Lisa
We just took a normal backpack. Just make sure its light enough to carry all day We took turns with it through out the day... so not a prob at all.
Samish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #1635
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samish View Post
We just heading back from a week at WDW. Did all the four parks - had the best time ever. Thanks to whoever suggested the cut up sponges with dishwashing liquid. It helped a lot.

Just one suggestion - its getting really cool there at nights (40s). I suggest people take jackets and blankets (to spread on the ground and benches when wet). We packed these in one backpack with snacks for the waiting lines. The lines to get the backpacks checked at the park entrances aren't as bad as some people made it sound it.... we never had to wait more than 10 min in those lines.
Just thought I'd pass along, there is a product that is already pre-made like that. It's squares of thin sponge/fiber with detergent embedded in it. It comes in a container and isn't expensive. I think it was probably 50 sheets in it. I still haven't used them all. I just throw them in a zip lock for trips. They really do come in handy. All you do is add water. I'm pretty sure it's made by Palmolive.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: