|12-19-2012, 07:20 PM||#1|
Earning My Ears
Join Date: Dec 2012
First Disney Trip!
We are planning our first disney trip Dates 3-3-2013 thru 3-9-2013. Is this a good time to go? Any help is greatly appreciated!
|12-19-2012, 08:31 PM||#2|
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Congrats on your first trip! And to the DIS boards.
I have never traveled in early March, but I would think its a great time with the start of the Flower & Garden Festival. If you can stay at an Epcot resort, even better for easy access.
Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?
Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy? Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV
|12-19-2012, 09:34 PM||#3|
Dis Dads Club Member #584
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Any time is a great time to go!
It will start to get a bit crowded by you last couple of days, but early March is much better then mid-March when (it seems) every school in the Western Hemisphere is on Spring Break
My suggestion is to be patient and enjoy everything that makes Disney different from amusement parks. The rides are only part of what there is to see. There's a lot to take in even in the queues. Relax and be patient with other guests and understand when you or your family needs a break.
Using a touring plan might be a good idea as well (they're available on the web) as they're designed for you to see the most attractions based on historical wait times, etc.
I hope you have a very magical trip!
DL '77, DW '79, DW '00, DW '01, DW '06, Magic '08, DW '08, DW '09, Wonder '10, DW '10, Wonder '11, Aulani '12, DDC#1 (WDW '13)
me DW DD DD
|12-20-2012, 06:57 AM||#5|
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
|12-20-2012, 08:34 AM||#6|
I'm a proud homebirthing crunchy mama who loves Walt Disney World!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan's U.P.
Welcome to the Dis boards! Have a super trip!
Brandy wife of Jeff & mama to DS (1/02) DD (1/05) DS (4/07) DD (born still 6/08) DD (07/09) & DS(12/11)
Our next trip: March 2013
Past trips:1-12 BLT/10-11 AK/2-11 BLT & DCL/2-10 DCL & VWL/10-09 AS Movies/5-09 AS Movies/12-08 OKW/5-08 AS Sports/1-08 DCL& Villas at WL/9-07 AS Movies/12-06 AS Music/11-05 Offsite
And too many trips to count with grandma & papa when I was little
DVC members since June '07 at Animal Kingdom & Founding Members at Bay Lake
|12-22-2012, 10:34 AM||#7|
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Falcon CO (near Colo-Springs)
I just posted this for another...
I am so excited for you!!!! If your family is anything like ours, you will fall in love with WDW. We go a couple times a year now, so we have learned a lot, so much so I could go on for hours. But that would be overwhelming. So here are just a few:
MK - Magic Kingdom
HS - Hollywood studios
Epcot - well Epcot
AK - Animal Kingdom
DTD - Downtown Disney
FP (Fast Pass) - Allows you to make a 1 hour reservation window to return to the more popular rides. These are limited. Pay attention to the return times before you get a FastPass making sure you will be in the park and available to return during the 1 hour window. You generally can only hold 1 FP at a time. But read your FP closely to see when you can get the next one. Machines are usually near entrance to the ride. Google for more info on how to use.
• If at all possible, arrive 30-45 minutes before the park opens, aka "Rope Drop" at MK, Epcot & AK (they no longer do "Rope Drop" at HS). The parks are far less crowded first thing in the morning.
• If you have the park hopper option and have a big day planned, try taking a midday nap. We were given this advice but did not start doing it until last year. You will be amazed at what a 45 minute nap can do for you!
• Rainy days can be good days to go , just get a rain poncho
• Here is a trick for trying to go to the least busiest park. Consider not using "Magic hours", rather visit a park the day *after* it has Magic Hours. It tends to be far less busy and you actually end up make better use of time/money.
What rides to hit first at each park:
A little about each park:
• Toy Story Mania is the most popular ride. So if you arrive early, head there, ride the ride, the consider getting Fast Pass (most of the crowd will be heading that way)
• HS is known for having the least desirable food. One place that we have found that is very good is Starring Rolls Cafe next to the Brown Derby. They take 1 QS. They have HUGE sandwiches that are the most delicious sandwiches I have ever had. They can easily be shared between 2 people!
• Fantasmic ~ if you go to this wonderful nighttime show, it does get crowded, but it is seated and there is not a 'bad' seat in the house. We have taken to sitting in the back as exiting the show is where it gets complaints (CROWDED!)
• Most popular are Soarin' and Test Track
• Forgotten wonderful ride is "Living with the Land" located in the same building as Soarin'
• Many awesome places to eat ~ making reservations when using sit-down Dining credits. (we like Teppan Edo for one)
• Every night there is a free fireworks show on the lake called Illuminations. The best place to watch this is from the back side of the park, somewhere between Morocco and Germany.
• Mount Everst is most popular here
• Do not forget the ride Dinosaur, it is tucked in a corner and easy to miss
• Several nice places to eat here. For QS (Quick Service/Counter Service), we like Flame Tree BBQ. They have large servings that you may even be able to share. TIP ~ when trying to find a place to sit and eat, follow the path *behind* the restaurant. It will lead you to some wonderful, less crowded lake-side, covered tables.
• Well what can I say about this place, it is just magical! You may want to spend 2 days here. In addition to the popular favorites, remember to visit Tom Sawyer Island and walk the Swiss Family Tree House.
• As for food, this is where we would get our Turkey Legs, but now there is the new Be Our Guest Restaurant that I have yet to visit, but is getting rave reviews! (They serve QS lunch and sit down dinner. The dinner hour is booked out months, but you may be able to do lunch as it is walk up. Also, I hear that Gaston's Tavern sells a wonderful Pork Shank, that is a must do for hubby and I when we return in Feb
• In addition to the nightly fireworks, there is a less publicized projection show on the Castle about 15 min's before the Fireworks called Celebrate the Magic. It is shown most nights, but not all. So try to be there for a showing. We actually love this more than the fireworks.
DTD ~ Be sure to visit Downtown Disney, not ticket required. Lots to see, lots of places to eat. You can easily spend half a day here. Is fun to stroll at night too!!
Other things you may want to research is "Pin Trading". The objective is to buy a pin starter lanyard set and start trading with Cast Members. Cast Members often have pins called "Hidden Mickey's" that you cannot only get by trading or buying mystery packs. They are rarer than pins you buy outright. They come in sets/series. Collecting a set becomes like a scavenger hunt. Very fun! Be sure to google it though if you are going to do it so you can learn all about it.
Hope you have a super, Magical time!!
Last edited by LadyFan55; 12-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.
|12-23-2012, 12:52 PM||#8|
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Just behind MK
Merry Christmas to all.
Disneyland 2011 & 12. Visited WDW every year since 1983, (own OLCC) then moved to WDW 2009 & retired.
Cruises: the Magic in '02 (eastern); '03 (western); the Wonder in '07, '08 (DVC), '10 (Halloween), '11 (Alaska) & '12 (Hawaii); Dream 3x's in 2012, 2x's in Apr 2013 & the Fantasy in Nov 2013. Bought DVC in '06 and use for DL, WDW resorts & cruises.