DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #31
joeyrose
Mouseketeer
 
joeyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 124

my 2cents - one contract at ssr..
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #32
joelp
DIS Veteran
 
joelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ (Physically ...) Mentally?
Posts: 1,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkandGoofy'sMom View Post
Based on 2013 points charts you would need:
Nov1-Dec 15: AKV 181 points, BWV 166 points (1br)
Jan 1-31: AKV 162 points, BWV 154 points
Feb 1-15: AKV 200 points, BWV 206 points
All based on standard view, one week, 1 bedroom.

I would recommend getting 200 points. We own at AKV and absolutly love it. We love having the washer/dryer in the room, and the extra bathroom makes getting ready stress-free for everyone. We love the atmosphere of the resort, and the pool area is great. The splash area would be fun for your little one ... access to Jambo House is very quick and easy (either walking or by shuttle) , and we like the underground parking. Bus service is usually great, and dedicated to AKV only (no multiple stops) ... for us AKV is HOME SWEET HOME.
Although it looks like you're going for BWV - I'll second that ...

Some additional AKV plusses:

- the kids will LOVE the animals (and the related activities at the resort ...)
- you will LOVE having the Simba's Clubhouse option available on-site.
- 2 pools, 3 TS restuarants (including our favoite - Boma!), 1 CS restaurant.
- an on-site Spa ...

There's also the general opinion that your home resort should be the one where - if it comes to it - you would have no problem staying at for the next umpteen years ... For us, that was AKV ...

Good luck!!
__________________
Me DW-Vicki DD-Danielle and DP Ranger and our new DP Sunshine

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14


Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
joelp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #33
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelp View Post
Although it looks like you're going for BWV - I'll second that ...
Go read the thread on BWV buses suck.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #34
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrose
my 2cents - one contract at ssr..
Does this mean that you believe I would have no trouble booking my preferred resorts at the 7 month window?
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #35
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,334

I look at ownership this way. If you buy where you love to stay, you will be able to book at your favorite resort/room category 99.99% of the time. If you buy somewhere else and book at 7 months you will not always get what you want depending on the resort and time of year, so why not buy at your favorite resort?

We don't know what DVC rules and policies Disney will change in the future, most of us never thought that the changes during the last 3 years would ever happen but they did. Just another reason to buy at your favorite resort because home resort priority is contractually guaranteed.

One of the biggest challenges when buying and selecting a resort is not knowing what you are buying. Everyone has different tastes and likes and there is no way that reading on the internet and looking at pictures gives you the complete picture. You really need to stay at the different resorts to see for yourself what fits and what gives you the giddy feeling. Maybe you could rent points for your next stay and do a tour of each resort or buy at your best guess then start your extended search. Look at transportation, location, theming, resort layout, availability of food, entertainment, pools, and community center.

We own BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, and BLT. The only resort that we bought before staying there was BLT and BLT has ended up being our least favorite of all of the DVC resorts.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #36
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner View Post
Does this mean that you believe I would have no trouble booking my preferred resorts at the 7 month window?
for nov/dec trips, i think that is crazy optimistic - that tends to be a busier period for DVC bookings. i'd buy at one of your preferred resorts if you have strong preferences...if you'd be happy to stay at SSR if BWV/BLT didn't work out, then buy SSR.

also remember that BWV expires in 2042, AKV expires in 2057 and BLT expires in 2060...might matter to you, might not. but if you want a longer contract and don't mind being "stuck" at AKV, that might be a good option.

but if the only place you wouldn't mind being stuck is BWV, i'd buy in there and book early.
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #37
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94
for nov/dec trips, i think that is crazy optimistic - that tends to be a busier period for DVC bookings. i'd buy at one of your preferred resorts if you have strong preferences...if you'd be happy to stay at SSR if BWV/BLT didn't work out, then buy SSR.
I might try to stay at THV one time just for the novelty, but aside from that I can't see myself at SSR, so I think the idea of buying there is pretty crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94
also remember that BWV expires in 2042, AKV expires in 2057 and BLT expires in 2060...might matter to you, might not. but if you want a longer contract and don't mind being "stuck" at AKV, that might be a good option.
In 2042 I will be 71 and kids will be 39,37,31. I doubt I will be going to Disney every year in 70s. Past 2040 I am probably evaluating residual value vs initial purchase vs dues for 30 (or 48) years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94

but if the only place you wouldn't mind being stuck is BWV, i'd buy in there and book early.
In the short run I want to buy into DVC so that I can afford to stay in a resort that is close enough to parks that I don't spend have of my day on busses or waiting for busses or thinking about busses. We also like boardwalk entertainment. I loved CSR but can't stay there when baby turns 3 and I'm tired of all the transportation logistics when he needs a nap. If you count meals at resorts then some days we do 3 round trips on busses.

On our most recent trip all of our TS meals (except one) were in Epcot, Epcot resorts, magic kingdom, or magic kingdom resorts. This is why I want to be at BWV or BLT or maybe BCV as a backup. I slightly prefer BWV or BCV over BLT because we spend more evenings near that area, but I wouldn't cry if stuck at BLT.

In the long run I could also be happy at AKV some of the time especially when the naps for baby stop.

One of my crazier thoughts is that we could stay at an Epcot resort for 4 nights and use those days to visit Epcot And DHS, then move to either BLT or AKV for 4 nights and use those days to visit MK and AK. This plan doesn't eliminate busses but it greatly reduces them.
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #38
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner View Post

In the short run I want to buy into DVC so that I can afford to stay in a resort that is close enough to parks that I don't spend have of my day on busses or waiting for busses or thinking about busses. We also like boardwalk entertainment. I loved CSR but can't stay there when baby turns 3 and I'm tired of all the transportation logistics when he needs a nap. If you count meals at resorts then some days we do 3 round trips on busses.


One of my crazier thoughts is that we could stay at an Epcot resort for 4 nights and use those days to visit Epcot And DHS, then move to either BLT or AKV for 4 nights and use those days to visit MK and AK. This plan doesn't eliminate busses but it greatly reduces them.
I have found that the buses just simply cannot be avoided unless you have a car. Also found that the trek in and out of the parking lots, especially MK makes the buses look inviting. That's just me.

With a small child I would venture a guess that you will be spending a lot more time in MK in the future. Believe me when I tell you that children are not usually big fans of Epcot. My kids acted like we were driving them into the 7 circles of hell when we went there, nothing for them to do. Well, nothing THEY wanted to do. Younger children, as a rule don't usually appreciate the dining options in World Showcase.

I like your idea of the split stay between BLT and BWV. That's what we did too since we own at BLT and BCV. That said, I've said it before and will say again that had we known how much we truly enjoyed SSR and OKW we might have bought there instead, taking our chances at 7 months and saving a ton of money. Tastes and travel habits change.

Last edited by DizBub; 12-19-2012 at 12:56 PM.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #39
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran
 
lovin'fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,890

We 1st bought in 2006...200 points at OKW because they were the cheapest resales. I wish we bought BWV, so that's where you should buy and I suggest 200 points. We love BWV and the proximity to Epcot. My SIL's family love SSR because their kids (teens) like to walk over to Downtown Dis a lot. They also like AKV and added on points there, but their kids grumble a little about staying there because there's not too much around that interests them. My MIL/FIL love OKW as it's peaceful and quaint (they use our points to book near hospitality house so they don't have to walk too far for anything). So, there are different reasons to like each resort and your preference will probably change as your kids get older. The times you like to go aren't too busy and getting what you want at 7 months out might not be an issue. I find Christmas to be tough at 7 months out and we've had trouble trying to get BCV for summer trips (finally got it for our upcoming Jan trip...yay!). And last minute trips (like a month or two out) will be tough no matter what. If I were you I'd get 200 or more at BWV.

And the split stay idea is a good one...we have done that. You could buy points at 2 places then.
__________________
DVC since 2006
Next trip(s): Nov 3-6 at VWL
Aug 8-14 at BWV and AKV
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #40
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub

I have found that the buses just simply cannot be avoided unless you have a car. Also found that the trek in and out of the parking lots, especially MK makes the buses look inviting. That's just me.
.
Just clarifying so there is no confusion. I'm not naive enough to believe I can remove all busses, I'm just looking to reduce them. And on those occasions where we had a car we only drove to MK once and I don't care to repeat that experience. Driving to AK and HS seem easy, MK not so much.

In the worst case scenario at a "bus-only" resort, I get on the bus to a park in morning, leave at lunch on a bus, come back on a bus around 3-4 take a bus to resort dinner at 7, then because dinner ran long I have to take a bus to DTD to get another one back to resort. Even when my wife took baby for nap and I kept older kids in park I foun myself constantly thinking about the logistics of reuniting later in the afternoon.

In my mind I like this plan better. Get up and WALK to Epcot. When nap is required one of us can WALK to BWV then return later. Then we can WALK to our dinner. So I cut out all the WAITING.


I don't mind being on the bus, but what bothers me is that when you include the waiting I bet that consumes 3 or more hours in a day.

If I can cut my transportation time by 60% I get an extra 2 hours of fun per day.
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #41
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub

With a small child I would venture a guess that you will be spending a lot more time in MK in the future. Believe me when I tell you that children are not usually big fans of Epcot. My kids acted like we were driving them into the 7 circles of hell when we went there, nothing for them to do. Well, nothing THEY wanted to do. Younger children, as a rule don't usually appreciate the dining options in World Showcase.

.
Of course, we spend about as much time at MK as Epcot and DHS combined. Our older kids (9/7) still whine about some things in World Showcase but there are other things they ask for. Acrobats and the chair act in France come to mid.

Our kids love Teppan Edo and LeCellier and they at least tolerated Chefs de France.

And they are always begging for Soarin, Test Track, and SOAT.
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner View Post
Of course, we spend about as much time at MK as Epcot and DHS combined. Our older kids (9/7) still whine about some things in World Showcase but there are other things they ask for. Acrobats and the chair act in France come to mid.

Our kids love Teppan Edo and LeCellier and they at least tolerated Chefs de France.

And they are always begging for Soarin, Test Track, and SOAT.
You've got the best of both worlds going for you. An equitable split between BLT and BWV looks like the best fit. Best of luck with your decision!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #43
joelp
DIS Veteran
 
joelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NJ (Physically ...) Mentally?
Posts: 1,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
One of the biggest challenges when buying and selecting a resort is not knowing what you are buying. Everyone has different tastes and likes and there is no way that reading on the internet and looking at pictures gives you the complete picture. You really need to stay at the different resorts to see for yourself what fits and what gives you the giddy feeling. Maybe you could rent points for your next stay and do a tour of each resort or buy at your best guess then start your extended search. Look at transportation, location, theming, resort layout, availability of food, entertainment, pools, and community center.

I just noticed in your siggie that it looks like you haven't stayed at any of the WDW Deluxe Resorts yet ...?

So this suggestion may be a good option to consider for your next trip ...

We had stayed at AKL twice and LOVED it - so the only place we considered for our home resort was AKV.

But there was always a little itch in the back of my mind: "Should we have spent less and bought SSR or OKW?"

So on our past trip, we finally toured a bunch of the Deluxe and DVC Resorts ... and after returning to AKV, it just confirmed we had made the right decision for us ...

Good luck!!
__________________
Me DW-Vicki DD-Danielle and DP Ranger and our new DP Sunshine

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14


Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
joelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #44
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner View Post
Just clarifying so there is no confusion. I'm not naive enough to believe I can remove all busses, I'm just looking to reduce them. And on those occasions where we had a car we only drove to MK once and I don't care to repeat that experience. Driving to AK and HS seem easy, MK not so much.

In the worst case scenario at a "bus-only" resort, I get on the bus to a park in morning, leave at lunch on a bus, come back on a bus around 3-4 take a bus to resort dinner at 7, then because dinner ran long I have to take a bus to DTD to get another one back to resort. Even when my wife took baby for nap and I kept older kids in park I foun myself constantly thinking about the logistics of reuniting later in the afternoon.

In my mind I like this plan better. Get up and WALK to Epcot. When nap is required one of us can WALK to BWV then return later. Then we can WALK to our dinner. So I cut out all the WAITING.


I don't mind being on the bus, but what bothers me is that when you include the waiting I bet that consumes 3 or more hours in a day.

If I can cut my transportation time by 60% I get an extra 2 hours of fun per day.
Over the years we have modified our vacation pattern, less park time and more relaxing time at the resorts. We now alternate depending on our mood. This year out of 18 days at WDW we went into the parks maybe 5 times. Next year we have 25 days scheduled, took advantage of the PAP so we will spend more time in the parks and then the following year, cut back to more resort time again.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #45
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelp

I just noticed in your siggie that it looks like you haven't stayed at any of the WDW Deluxe Resorts yet ...?
We stayed at Contemporary on our very first trip. Other than that we have stayed Value or Mod to save money. But when our baby turns 3 in 2014 we will outgrow those resorts (5 people).
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.