Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #61
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran
 
PracPerfPatricia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,466

I'm loving this TR .... I was just at DLR last year and even though we normally go to WDW (being East Coasters) I really have a very soft spot for it too...

So much the same yet so different... I actually think the parks have different mojo to them...

I totally agree about Pirates... I think it's better at DL except you are right about the queuing area... but we haven't had a long wait either time we were there so that hasn't been too big a deal... and I absolutely LOVE going by the Blue Bayou...(hmmmm... isn't there a restaurant in the Mexican pavilion that has a really similar design... but I just think the BB works into Pirates so well and is really pretty....

OH WOW... HM is my favorite too... and I would love to see that whole NBC overlay... that is absolutely AWESOME... it's almost worth just going to see that... super WOW...

Oh I not sure whether to laugh or cry for you about your Splash Experience... You see I have a love/hate relationship with it...for a variety of reasons...
I remember the single seat rider thing... and getting that wet at the end of Nov/beginning of December couldn't really have been that funny at the time (Ironically we were in WDW very similar dates and it was probably warmer in FLA but we got drenched on Kali and it somehow felt wetter than normal (if that makes sense-but it was still nothing like what happened to you on Splash...)

OMG... aren't those Dino Dinosaurs totally awesome? (See there are these really quirky old retro things at DL that are really unique like that...)

Looking forward to reading more...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #62
danimaroo
DIS Veteran
 
danimaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by luulu1999 View Post
My son just asked me yesterday if there were going to be dinosaurs at disneyland and after reading your trip report I said yep there sure will be lol
That is too funny! Yes, you guys HAVE to go on the Disneyland Railroad and see the dioramas. If your son is a big fan of dinosaurs he will be very happy in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Oh Man, I'm sorry your Splash experience was so traumatic I saw the pictures on Instagram but had no idea you got sooo wet! The drop does looks a bit more dramatic than the one in Disney World.

Those Dino-dioramas are so cool. SO does the train go through a tunnel or something to get to them??

Looking forward to the next update -Amanda
Haha it's okay, I mean, I can laugh it off NOW but at the time, it wasn't so funny. I guess I just had no idea we were going to get THAT wet! And the drop just seemed way steeper for some reason. I really think the sitting in tandem is what made it way more intense, honestly.

The dino-dioramas were awesome! The train goes through a tunnel type of thing and then you get to see all of those awesomely awesome dioramas. I loved them, even though I was soaking wet.

Should have a new update up shortly!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I'm loving this TR .... I was just at DLR last year and even though we normally go to WDW (being East Coasters) I really have a very soft spot for it too...

So much the same yet so different... I actually think the parks have different mojo to them...

I totally agree about Pirates... I think it's better at DL except you are right about the queuing area... but we haven't had a long wait either time we were there so that hasn't been too big a deal... and I absolutely LOVE going by the Blue Bayou...(hmmmm... isn't there a restaurant in the Mexican pavilion that has a really similar design... but I just think the BB works into Pirates so well and is really pretty....

OH WOW... HM is my favorite too... and I would love to see that whole NBC overlay... that is absolutely AWESOME... it's almost worth just going to see that... super WOW...

Oh I not sure whether to laugh or cry for you about your Splash Experience... You see I have a love/hate relationship with it...for a variety of reasons...
I remember the single seat rider thing... and getting that wet at the end of Nov/beginning of December couldn't really have been that funny at the time (Ironically we were in WDW very similar dates and it was probably warmer in FLA but we got drenched on Kali and it somehow felt wetter than normal (if that makes sense-but it was still nothing like what happened to you on Splash...)

OMG... aren't those Dino Dinosaurs totally awesome? (See there are these really quirky old retro things at DL that are really unique like that...)

Looking forward to reading more...
YAY! So glad you are here and are loving it!

Yeah, there really is something lovely about Disneyland! I just loved the history attached to everything.

There really are a lot of differences but also similarities, too! Which is why I felt like I was walking around in a dream or something...

It's funny you bring up San Angel Inn because we were out with our friends the other night and talking about Blue Bayou and I realized that San Angel Inn had such a similar feel! Blue Bayou just looked so cool though as you float along...

OMG, it really is a wonderful reason to go and see it during the holidays, I can't even begin to tell you. I just marveled at it the whole time, and we rode it many times, never got old!

Hahaha, it's okay, you can totally laugh because it was such a ridiculous thing to happen to us. I know what you mean though about the whole being soaking wet deal. I think for us because it was so humid out, it just didn't help the situation. So bad yet so funny (now anyway!)...

Can't wait to get another update going!
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #63
danimaroo
DIS Veteran
 
danimaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,618

Chapter Six: Well that is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen...
Day 1: November 29th, 2012


As we approached, I was so so happy to see everything lit up! On our way out of the park after our little trip on Splash, we were basically in a rush to get changed and didn’t really SEE anything, so we were essentially seeing everything lit up for the first time.

I loved the decorations on the front gates to Disneyland, they were just beautiful.





We walked into the park and saw Main Street lit up and I smiled. It wasn’t raining anymore and everything looked so festive!



Before we could move anywhere else though, we both agreed that churros were a necessity at this very moment. Fortunately for us, there was a churro stand right next to us, so we both bought them.

These are the faces of two very happy campers with their churros!





We started to walk and eat our churros, and of course I had to stop and get photos of the tree all lit up. It was so beautiful. I could have stared at it all night.





But alas, Matt had to tear me away and remind me that there was so much more to do and see, and we were on a time crunch because the park was closing at 8, so I turned and promptly stopped to take a photo of the wreath and garland decorations above!





Then I finally saw the castle lit up! Well, not lit up YET with all of the beautiful lights, but still lit up at night. Gosh, there’s something about lit up castles at night… they’re pretty much magical.



I loved Main Street at night. All of the stores looked so inviting and full of cheer, the gas lamps from earlier looked perfect, and Main Street as a whole was perfect. It was a memory I wanted to hold onto forever.



I snapped a photo of the Partners statue with the castle in the background, because let’s be honest, it’s a beautiful sight to see.



It’s kind of interesting because Tomorrowland has the Astro Orbitor on ground-level and it’s the first thing you see when you look in that direction, but it was looking pretty awesome all lit up at night. You still couldn’t pay me to go on it, though.



We turned, though, and headed back towards Fantasyland, as we knew there was one ride we needed to go on STAT.



No, not the Tea Cups! I just loved the way they looked at night, even though no one was on it due to the rain/shutting down attractions for the fireworks.

As we turned the corner past Alice and the Tea Cups, we both stopped in our tracks and gasped at what we saw before us.



This was a sight to be seen. I’ve seen photos of It’s a Small World during the Holidays, but to see it in person was just… wow. We were both literally left speechless.



You’re being warned right now, I think over the 2 1/2 days we were in Disney, I took hundreds of photos of this. I couldn’t stop myself. So yes, you’re going to see a LOT of photos from IASW Holiday!





We immediately hopped in line after I snapped a few photos… where I continued to take more photos, hahaha.











(Keeping reading below!)

Continued in next post
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #64
danimaroo
DIS Veteran
 
danimaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,618

Chapter Six: Well that is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen... PART TWO
Day 1: November 29th, 2012


Now it should be noted that the family behind us had little girls who they weren’t really watching very closely. We didn’t really let it bother us too much… for now. (DUNDUNDUN!)

The line moved really quickly, either that or I was so entertained by all of the photo-taking and the lights that I didn’t even noticed the wait, but before we knew it, were loading on our boat.



Just as we got on, I noticed the clock open up, telling us it was indeed 6:30pm. I absolutely love this shot.



We were finally on our way, and I was SO excited to see the inside of this ride, as was Matt!



Um, this blew away my expectations and then some. I thought the outside was only done over for the holidays…. NOPE! The inside is a completely different ride during the holidays! Or well, they add a TON of holiday magic to this attraction.



There is nothing NOT to love about this ride. The kids sing a Small World/Jingle Bells melody (until the final room), and everything is just perfect.





The other thing I love about DL’s version is the little addition of all sorts of Disney characters! I know some people didn’t like that addition but I absolutely loved it. It was so much fun to try and hunt down different Disney characters during our ride through!

From Pinocchio…



To Ariel…



To Princess Jasmine and Aladdin…



To Lilo and Stitch…



To Jessie and Woody…





And even the Three Caballeros!



I enjoyed pointing them out with Matt.

Now unfortunately, I’d say for the final 5 minutes of the ride, Matt was riding in panic. Remember that family behind us in line from earlier? Well the Mom thought it was totally okay to let her 2-year old literally HANG OVER the boat.

I’m not exaggerating, I mean this little girl was hanging her entire upper body over the side of the boat, sometimes standing up and her Mom just thinking that was a-okay.

This was on Matt’s side of the boat, so he spent a good portion of his time literally trying to push the boat away from the cement side with his hand and basically holding it out in case this little peanut of a child went man-overboard.

Needless to say, he wasn’t very happy with this little girl’s mother who wasn’t even paying attention.

Neglectful parents aside, we absolutely adored this ride. I mean, we immediately couldn’t wait to go on it again and see more things we hadn’t caught before. And those beautiful lights on the outside were again, absolutely astounding.

Continued in next post

Last edited by danimaroo; 12-22-2012 at 05:56 PM.
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #65
Aurora1972
Getting my Disney on! Where's the poporn?
 
Aurora1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Poteau
Posts: 112

Disneyland's IASW is simply AMAZING! I love the exterior anyway but it is extra wonderful dressed up for Christmas. I don't think I would mind the addition of Disney character's.

I can't stand it when people ignore their children's dangerous behavior! At least Matt was watching out for the kid!

Disney Christmas decorations are just amazing. It's definitely on my bucket list to go to either park during Christmas.
__________________
The ticker had to be deleted. All hope is not lost though. I don't know how. I don't know when. But I'm going back!
MeDH DD (11) DD (10): DS (8)

Walt Disney World Trips- offsite- 1980, 1982, 1992, 2012 Find me on Twitter or Facebook.
Aurora1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #66
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran
 
Stringbean&Wingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,989

The IASW holiday looks SO cool!!!!!! I love the character additions too - I always thought that was something that would be fun if WDW incorporated as well!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #67
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran
 
marDgreen88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,777

Seriously though, Disneyland's it's a small world looks amazing in general. Every time I see that building exterior, I'm just in awe. I bet it's insane in person, especially with the lights! It's one of those things that you just can't appreciate to the fullest extent until you're there in person... like the Osborne Lights or the Castle Dream lights. I totally get what you're saying but man, I wish I could see it in person! (That was my attempt at "POOF"ing myself to Disneyland. It didn't work...)

I never understand the parents that are oblivious to their kid's actions. It's really creepy. Sounds like Matt is gonna be a good daddy someday.

I love all the Disney character additions to the ride there! It's awesome! In my opinion, it doesn't take away anything from the original ride. It adds even more Disney magic! Who wouldn't want that?
__________________


-Marissa
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #68
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess
 
DharmaLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,283

Loving your TR!

Especially loved the photos & descriptions of HM. We were there a week before you and I know that I went through that entire ride with a huge smile on my face because of how awesome it is. (and because I love NBC so much).

I also agree about that dang humidity! The first day there I had straightened both my hair and DD's hair and we were both frizz balls before we even got through the gates! Ack!
__________________
DharmaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #69
lsulindy
DIS Veteran
 
lsulindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NOLA
Posts: 1,016

Loving your report and pics. Planning our first trip and I'm looking forward to your insights as a WDW vet. I'm not really worried about what's different from a comparison standpoint, just more of what to be prepared for.

IASW will be closed for our trip. I wonder if we'll even be able to see the facade or if it will be walled off. I'd love to see it done up for Christmas one day.
__________________
me dh ds (8) dd (6) ds (2)

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!


lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #70
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,598

Amazing Trip Report! I cant wait to read more!!!
__________________
Jan 2013 Bucketlist trip, Jan 2009 Engagement trip
Nov 2007 Our first trip togeather, Dec 2005 Family trip
Nov 2004 School Trip, Nov 2003 School Trip
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #71
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!
 
khertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 5,185

I already loved the facade of IASW there, but WOW does it look incredible lit up for Christmas!!!! How beautiful, and Main Street too! They do a really amazing job decorating the park there.
__________________
Me DH DS (3)
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #72
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran
 
Lucille1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 975

I love your trip report!!!!!
__________________
Nicole

Lucille1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #73
danimaroo
DIS Veteran
 
danimaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora1972 View Post
Disneyland's IASW is simply AMAZING! I love the exterior anyway but it is extra wonderful dressed up for Christmas. I don't think I would mind the addition of Disney character's.

I can't stand it when people ignore their children's dangerous behavior! At least Matt was watching out for the kid!

Disney Christmas decorations are just amazing. It's definitely on my bucket list to go to either park during Christmas.
It really is just absolutely stunning, especially at Christmas! And I really thought that the characters were too cute. It was really fun to look for them on numerous ride-throughs!

I mean, I know no one is perfect but this behavior was really concerning. The little girl could have gone over at any moment, but Matt was keeping an eye out... still not fun though!

OMG, you have to go. Now that I've been during Christmas season, I get it... and will tell everyone to take the opportunity when you can and go!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
The IASW holiday looks SO cool!!!!!! I love the character additions too - I always thought that was something that would be fun if WDW incorporated as well!
Oh man, it really was so cool. In a future update, I actually catch the big grand lighting of IASW on video and well, you'll see.

I think the addition of the characters was totally brilliant and WDW really should consider it. It was such a cute addition!


Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Seriously though, Disneyland's it's a small world looks amazing in general. Every time I see that building exterior, I'm just in awe. I bet it's insane in person, especially with the lights! It's one of those things that you just can't appreciate to the fullest extent until you're there in person... like the Osborne Lights or the Castle Dream lights. I totally get what you're saying but man, I wish I could see it in person! (That was my attempt at "POOF"ing myself to Disneyland. It didn't work...)

I never understand the parents that are oblivious to their kid's actions. It's really creepy. Sounds like Matt is gonna be a good daddy someday.

I love all the Disney character additions to the ride there! It's awesome! In my opinion, it doesn't take away anything from the original ride. It adds even more Disney magic! Who wouldn't want that?
It really is SO cool. Like, I'm sure on its own it's pretty amazing, but then you add the Christmas lights to it and it is just UNreal. You're so right though about seeing it in person; when you do you are just blown away. I mentioned it above in a comment but in a future update I will post the video where I actually captured the moment when they turned on the lights for the first time and.. yeah. You'll see...

One day you are going to go! Seriously! If only the pixie dust worked, argh.

OMG this woman was just in her own world or something. I couldn't believe it. But it's funny you bring up the Matt being a Dad thing because I totally thought the same thing when he did it... Like, even though it was not a fun experience, it was pretty awesome to see him kind of go into that fatherly mode. Made me excited for the future.

It really adds a lot to the ride. I know sometimes people get upset about certain additions but this one is really fantastic and so well-done... all of the characters work perfectly in each of their respective scenes!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
Loving your TR!

Especially loved the photos & descriptions of HM. We were there a week before you and I know that I went through that entire ride with a huge smile on my face because of how awesome it is. (and because I love NBC so much).

I also agree about that dang humidity! The first day there I had straightened both my hair and DD's hair and we were both frizz balls before we even got through the gates! Ack!
Aw, thank you so much!! I'm so glad you get it in terms of the HM Holiday! It really is just the coolest thing ever... and we seriously rode through with both looks of amazement and happiness every single time we went on it!

HAHA I am SO happy someone else also understands that stupid humidity! I was dying and couldn't believe it. I mean, in Florida, I am usually prepared for my hair to just be awful the whole trip, but I was NOT ready for it in California!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
Loving your report and pics. Planning our first trip and I'm looking forward to your insights as a WDW vet. I'm not really worried about what's different from a comparison standpoint, just more of what to be prepared for.

IASW will be closed for our trip. I wonder if we'll even be able to see the facade or if it will be walled off. I'd love to see it done up for Christmas one day.
Thank you so much! Hopefully some of my insights can help out with your planning. I like to be pretty detailed with my TRs, so hopefully I can hit upon things that you're wondering about. But if I don't, let me know or feel free to ask and I will most definitely address it/respond to it!

That's a bummer that it will be closed. When is your trip planned for? If January, guessing they're taking down the lights. I'm telling you though, if you love DL on your trip, you will most definitely want to go back and see IASW all lit up! So so beautiful and worth it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Amazing Trip Report! I cant wait to read more!!!
Thank you!! I'm glad you are loving it; I was hoping to get more readers as time went on, so I'm happy to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I already loved the facade of IASW there, but WOW does it look incredible lit up for Christmas!!!! How beautiful, and Main Street too! They do a really amazing job decorating the park there.
Oh man, it really was just amazing. Matt even said that as much as he LOVES NBC and the HM Holiday, seeing IASW all lit up for the first time really made him gasp. They do an AMAZING job of decorating Disneyland. There are seriously decorations EVERYwhere, they don't just focus on one part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille1963 View Post
I love your trip report!!!!!
Thank you so much! It seriously has been making me super happy that people are enjoying this, especially because it takes me so long to write updates, haha. Glad you are enjoying it and hope you continue to enjoy it!
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #74
JDailey
Mouseketeer
 
JDailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 140

I am really enjoying the T.R.!! I love seeing the difference in the rides between D.L. and D.W. I think I need to plan a trip to D.L. sometime in the near future!
__________________
JDailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #75
danimaroo
DIS Veteran
 
danimaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDailey View Post
I am really enjoying the T.R.!! I love seeing the difference in the rides between D.L. and D.W. I think I need to plan a trip to D.L. sometime in the near future!
Aw thank you!! So glad you're reading along! You should most definitely plan a trip to DL in the near future; especially during the Christmas season! It's amazing!
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: