DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDadSparrow View Post
WE are in the process of closing on our first contract. The contract is AKV June UY.

We vacation in fall and spring not summer or winter. We are planing an October trip.

Signing now means we'll get our June 2012 UY points, but they must be used or banked by May in order to used them in UY 2013 correct? If we bank them so they are available for an oct 2013 trip, do we have to wait until June before we can make Oct 2013 ressies? Or can we bank them now, make ressies now for October assuming the banked points will be current UY points in October? Also if we do bank them for an October trip, that means in June we will have double the yearly points. Again can we make ressies now for the value of double points assuming they will be active UY by October? Or do we have to show all the points in our account as active UY status before we can make ressies with them to their full value?

Since oct/nov is only 5 months from June will we be for the life of the contract always getting the left overs because people with UY nov will have points and a full 11 months till their oct trip to get the best rooms?

Thanks,
June should be fine but a UY just before one time or the other would have been better.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
joeyrose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
OK, first things first. Breathe in; breathe out.

UY has NOTHING to do with when you can book. You can book your home resort at 11 months prior to your arrival date, and any resort at 7 months. UY means nothing for booking a reservation.
exactly...life is good again.
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
CaptDadSparrow
Mouseketeer

Holy Toledo,

Thank you everyone. I did have a moment of freak out there. It's just I saw so many people looking for a specific UY and that started to seem like a catch that could really screw with our contract.

Breathing again thank you!

CaptDadSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDadSparrow View Post
Holy Toledo,

Thank you everyone. I did have a moment of freak out there. It's just I saw so many people looking for a specific UY and that started to seem like a catch that could really screw with our contract.

Breathing again thank you!
Glad you're breathing.

Real life example. We have a Feb UY. For our first two big trips (we stay awhile and invite family for 4 or so days of the trip, requiring a bigger room for that time) we stayed in December then September. We were borrowing and then for the second one banking and borrowing, and so if that December trip had been canceled, we would have been as close to out of luck as possible. Why? Because the points had to be used by Jan 31 or they would disappear. So if one of us had gotten really sick, or broken something, etc, and we couldn't go by then, it would have been bad. For the September trip, there would be a bit more time to use them, but it was the same deal. And for the points in the current-at-that-time UY, we would have been beyond banking them, or almost beyond, if it was a close-to-the-trip cancellation.

Worry about UY is about cancelling, not about making the reservations.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
Span UY's with a reservation and you could use FOUR years of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
But you have to make TWO reservations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
What a way to blow your wad! :rofl

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
We just got back from a 2 week vacation at VWL. Nov. 24 - Dec. 8th. With our December use year & crossing use years, we did blow our 4 year point allocation, but it was so worth it! We had only one ressie & reservation # for our 1 bdrm villa.

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
twinmom108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
A June UY would work fine for Oct/Nov reservations.

Where UY becomes an issue is if you have to cancel a reservation...AND that cancellation occurs after your banking deadline (Jan 31, for June). That will not occur with fall reservations and a June UY.

It could happen for a Spring vacation. If you made an April reservation, for example, and then had to cancel after Jan 31, you would not be able to bank those points. They would become "use or lose" and you'd have to use them by May 30.
To expand on Jim's point, for reservations really close to the end of your use year, where if you had to cancel, you probably would find yourself unable to use your points, you can buy travel insurance through DVC or on your own that will cover some of the loss (I think just dues on points, we've never bought insurance).

Another option, if this happens is not to cancel your reservation, but rent it out on the rent trade board - you won't get top dollar for it, but you can cover your dues and then maybe use that money towards a cash trip.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #22
dcfromva

Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom108 View Post
We just got back from a 2 week vacation at VWL. Nov. 24 - Dec. 8th. With our December use year & crossing use years, we did blow our 4 year point allocation, but it was so worth it! We had only one ressie & reservation # for our 1 bdrm villa.
That is awesome! There are so many ways to use points.
Question though, did you make your ressie with member services? Every time I try to make a ressie that spans two UY's, I get an error message from the online system. Or, did you make two ressies and link them?
dcfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #23
twinmom108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfromva View Post
That is awesome! There are so many ways to use points.
Question though, did you make your ressie with member services? Every time I try to make a ressie that spans two UY's, I get an error message from the online system. Or, did you make two ressies and link them?
Yes ressie done through member services 800#. I started at 11 months out with one week which was all in November, then tried to add a December day each day while crossing the use year. The 1st 3 days in December were added without too much trouble, after that MS seemed to be having trouble. It took about another 2 weeks to get it all straightened out. When all was said & done we had just one reservation & ressie # for the 1brm for the entire 2weeks. We NEVER had 2 ressie #'s that were linked although MS ended up totally changing the original reservation #. The online system is relatively new & was not available when I booked. I'm pretty sure that if you are crossing UY's you do need to actually talk with someone in MS on the 800 phone #.

Peter Pan's #1 Fan
twinmom108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

We have a mental burp every now and then - we have a December use year - so we forget sometimes.... you'd think after being members since 2008 we would have learned..... but no....we haven't....

anyway.... we forget sometimes that our 2012 points are the points we will ACTUALLY use in 2013.... and the points we used in 2011 were actually the points from 2010.....

We forget that since our UY starts in December.... that we are always a year behind in terms of UY.

So, OP - I feel your pain - it can be a pain to keep it all straight!

If you'd ever tried to tell someone about DVC, you feel a little silly for the first few minutes until you get them to understand that that points are nothing like loyalty point.... and you get NEW points every year... and you only buy your points once.... but you can add on later - and even though you only pay once.... you still have to pay MF's every year.....

It can get very confusing! It takes DW and I together to keep things straight - especially when it comes to using points from one resort to book at another - but NOT using points from our HHI contract so we can book at 11 months.... OR renting points, and trying to remember to keep one contract intact so we can rent if we want - and not use points from multiple accounts HAHA SEE how confusing it CAN be?

Then there was the 85 point contract that we bought at Saratoga - and the points were ALL mess up on that account when made an offer on the account - they had to check the account several times to figure out exactly what had been done - reservation points, a few points in holding, a few points borrowed - the previous owners broke every rule coming and going, and two years in it was finally totally straightened out, and we never lost a single point... but it caused us to put point in hold in another contract... BUT we made it work out! HAHA

That's one thing I love about buying a really loaded resale contract - you can use up banked points and keep the account in good shape without having to borrow right away like you do with a stripped contract.

Anyway - good luck keeping things straight!
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: