Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

I was stubborn like you last year when we went for our dream vacation. The day after Christmas we went to MK. It was so busy that it was physically hard for anyone to walk around, less someone with any type of problem. I had to leave. My children wanted me to get the wheelchair. I didn't.

When we got home my daughter who at the time was just 18 came to me and asked why I was being so stubborn. That if it was anyone else in the family I would have insisted. I really think that children will adapt better than you think. Forewarn them, get them used to the fact that you will have whatever type of aid you choose, then do it.

I missed a whole day at the parks with my family. I can never get that back.

Good luck and I hope you have a very magical vacation.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
JUJU814
DIS Veteran

OP here. Thank you so much to everyone who has given their thoughts on this.

I was just emailing with dh and made the scooter suggestion and his reply was:

Before you rent a scooter you should ask yourself "how will these pictures look on Facebook?"

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but it kind of ticks me off.

PP, I think you're right. I do think my oldest dd would rather see me rested and able to be at the parks.

I think the pride thing is maybe more "fear" than pride? I don't know. Just because of the whole stigma that goes with the scooters and all the scooter threads. I guess if I did rent one, I can park it and walk onto the rides. I also don't have to use it on the bus.

And that brain surgery was one HELL of a surgery. I couldn't drive for 3 months prior or 6 months after and had to rely on others to get my kids to/from school. I don't know what my hang up is on this!

At this moment I think it's lack of support from spouse on the issue! errr
JUJU814 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

if using scooter and also photo pass, they have you get off scooter if possible. i would guess most people that are looking at your facebook photos know you problems an would be happier seeing have fun with your family, not struggling to make it thru. use the scooter, i would use that over wheelchair as you are in control of your movements not the person pushing you. if you can still get arental off site i would do that. cheaper and also have to get around resort.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJU814 View Post

Before you rent a scooter you should ask yourself "how will these pictures look on Facebook?"

The answer to his question: Stand Up.

Even I, who use a wheelchair in daily life, do this on occasion so we are all the same height for the photos.

Also, if anyone on Facebook sees you in a wheelchair and asks what's up, refer them to the BRAIN SURGERY you just had. You did not have your tonsils removed, people were literally poking your brain.

But, yes, if that is his only concern, stand up for the photos!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
catm
Mouseketeer

Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
catm
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't just rent a wheelchair, I'd rent scooter. I started using a scooter 3 years ago and its really made a difference.. I have arthrits just about everywhere but especially in my knees and ankles.after dragging myself around the parks for years literally looking for the next place i could sit, i finally swallowed my pride and got a scooter. I felt like i got my vacation back. I could keep up with my family and not worry about needing to sit. Some lines i use the scooter some i don't.do yourself and everyone else in your family a favor and get the scooter!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #22
Bete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJU814

PP, I think you're right. I do think my oldest dd would rather see me rested and able to be at the parks.

I think the pride thing is maybe more "fear" than pride? I don't know. Just because of the whole stigma that goes with the scooters and all the scooter threads. I guess if I did rent one, I can park it and walk onto the rides. I also don't have to use it on the bus.

And that brain surgery was one HELL of a surgery. I couldn't drive for 3 months prior or 6 months after and had to rely on others to get my kids to/from school. I don't know what my hang up is on this!

At this moment I think it's lack of support from spouse on the issue! errr

Please, explain to your husband that you don't have to be totally dependent on a scooter or wheelchair and when pictures are taken you can manage to be free standing for a few minutes if this makes him feel better about using one. I do feel from your statement that you should go with a scooter. I'm not sure based on your statement that hubby would be too happy pushing a wheelchair all day.

You know your body better than anyone else. If you are doubting your abilities to last in the parks you need an aid. We find a scooter to be a joy. Without one we couldn't do a trip to Disney. I would even be more concerned if you try to overdo on vacation by walking all the time. From other posts on this website you can typically walk anywhere from 5 to 12 miles a day at the parks and resorts depending on the time spent in the parks.

If you have a zoo near your home it's a great way to practice using a scooter before the trip. Most zoos do scooter rentals. I think it would relieve some phobias about it all for you.

Just remember when you use a park scooter it costs more and availability can become an issue especially if you are going to be a late arrival to the parks. Leaving the parks and getting one later in the day can be an issue, too on availability. I still think you should do an outside scooter rental; so, you could have it all the time.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: