Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #136
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowlookatthat View Post
it is my sad duty to tell you that my kindle has broken. Rip little buddy but a replacement is arriving soon.

So, i was starting to read o'little town on the kindle but now i am reading 'the christmas cookie club' which is a great book.
rip
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #137
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

A rose for Melinda
Lurlene McDaniel
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #138
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

I am currently reading "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen. I'm really liking this one! I love Jane Austen, but this one is gently poking fun of the novels of the day. Understated British humor... gotta love it!!!

I need to finish "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle", and "Team of Rivals" too.

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #139
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I'm reading "Red Velvet Revenge" by Jenn McKinlay. One of the more enjoyable cozy mysteries I've read lately.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #140
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I've been on a reading spree lately!

I finished The Fiery Cross (thanks to whoever encouraged me to persevere by letting me know that it's the least favorite in the series - I thought it was just me). I'm looking forward to finishing up the series, but probably won't get to #6 until the early spring.

I also finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore- highly recommend for a fun, quick, and quirky book. The book cover even glows in the dark - check it out! lol

I just started The Fault in Our Stars last night - only a chapter in so it's hard to say. This is a young adult fiction which always makes me feel a little apprehensive, but yet I've enjoyed The Book Thief, Divergence, and Hunger Games, oh and the Potter books... all young adult.
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #141
diznee25
DIS Veteran

So glad I came across the new book thread! Always curious as to what others are reading.

I'm currently reading 'Christmas Letters' by Debbie Macomber. It's a really fun read!

diznee25
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #142
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I'm a failure! I just can't push through Les Mis any more. The Bishop hasn't even met the main character yet and I give up. *sigh* I really wanted to read this book but I just can't!

So now I'm reading A Christmas Carol, then Old Chrismas, then a fluffy Christmas romance, and if I have time another Christmas book.

Then I'm not sure where to go next...I need to stop buying books! Too many of them and I'm feeling overwhelmed.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #143
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I'm a failure! I just can't push through Les Mis any more. The Bishop hasn't even met the main character yet and I give up. *sigh* I really wanted to read this book but I just can't!

So now I'm reading A Christmas Carol, then Old Chrismas, then a fluffy Christmas romance, and if I have time another Christmas book.

Then I'm not sure where to go next...I need to stop buying books! Too many of them and I'm feeling overwhelmed.
Nope! You are not a failure!!! That is one intense book! If you really want to try it again, may I suggest that you try the abridged version? Same story, but with all the extraneous stuff cut out. No descriptions of the abbey, or the sewers, etc. It's much more plot driven!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #144
wvjules
DIS Veteran

This is the version I'm reading. It is only 959 pages so I'm assuming it's pretty abridged.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #145
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post

I gave up on Les Mis as well. If I have to force myself to read it takes the joy out of it. I settled for the very abridged Spark Notes for some background before the movie!
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #146
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

I know it's an older book, but I'm reading The Mosquito Coast. It was a movie, also, but I've never seen it. So far, I'm pretty into it. I love really messed up characters like this!
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #147
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Went to the library to get some Nancy drew books to fallow in my moms foot steps
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #148
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Has anyone read Zoo by James Patterson?

I was at the library and it caught my eye. However, I have so many books on my "to read" list, I don't want to add any more unless it's worth it.

I've read one James Patterson novel before and didn't really care for it. Think it was Postcard Killers ? I could be remembering wrong. Might not have been same author...
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #149
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Patterson runs hot and cold for me. Some I like, especially those where he is the sole author. I find that his series books become predictable.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #150
wvjules
DIS Veteran

So I decided not to give up on Les Mis...again. I started reading it again last night. I think I will regret NOT reading it more than I will regret reading it. I am done with school for the semester so I have more reading time now. I might also try to simultaneously read a fluff book to give me Les Mis breaks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: