DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 170

Which Resort Should I buy

First, I haven't read the sticky lately so I hope that I am not violating any rules by posting this content here.

I have decided to buy resale but I need a little help deciding where to buy.

* We are a family of 5, the infant turns 3 in March 2014. Thus, analysis assumes 1 bedroom units.
* most of our trips occur between Nov 1 - Dec 15, although its possible we could go between Jan 1 - Feb 15 ( or end of Oct).
* We would probably like to make one trip to Disney per year and spend 7-10 nights. We would be willing to spend some time in non-DVC accommodations (to take advantage of other discounts). Therefore I'm thinking we should own enough points to spend 50-70% of our time in DVC.
* Right now I really want to stay at BWV (for proximity to Epcot, DHS, and Boardwalk); however, I could see a desire in the future to do split stays with BWV and either BLT or AKV-savannah view. So assume I want to stay at BWV 50% of the time, BLT 25% of the time, and AKV 25% of the time.
* I have never stayed at any DVC resort, but I am trying to make plans now for when baby turns 3 and we can't stay at Moderate. I have stayed at CR, Pop, CBR, CSR.

Based on the above information where should I buy?

This is what I am thinking:

1) UY needs to be something between June and October.
2) I think I need about 150 points, although I wouldn't be upset to buy 75-100 now and buy more later.
3) Based on my stated desires above, the perfect scenario would be to own 80 points at BWV, 40 points at BLT, and 40 points at AKV; however, I don't think contracts like that will fall in my lap.

I am *guessing* that if I only buy one contract I should buy BWV and hope that I can wait list a couple nights at BLT or AKV when I want to stay there.

Am I correct that both BWV and and BLT are hard to get at 7 months?

What should I do?
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
DannysMom
DIS Veteran
 
DannysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner

This is what I am thinking:

1) UY needs to be something between June and October.
2) I think I need about 150 points, although I wouldn't be upset to buy 75-100 now and buy more later.
3) Based on my stated desires above, the perfect scenario would be to own 80 points at BWV, 40 points at BLT, and 40 points at AKV; however, I don't think contracts like that will fall in my lap.

I am *guessing* that if I only buy one contract I should buy BWV and hope that I can wait list a couple nights at BLT or AKV when I want to stay there.

Am I correct that both BWV and and BLT are hard to get at 7 months?

What should I do?
I would think that with your current travel patterns, an Oct UY would suit. Question for you is, as the kids get older, would you more often be planning summer trips? If your answer is yes, the I would go with a June UY

I would guess that a starting point of about 150-160 points would be good. If you find you need more points later on, you can always shop for them at that point, either direct or resale. Your 80/40/40 split would be near impossible to achieve via resale. I suppose if you were to purchase direct they could tailor your contract(s) any way you wanted.

All 3 of your preferred resorts are fairly large & as such are pretty easy to book at 7 months. (I mean right when the 7 month window opens, at 6 months there may be lim pickings.)There however booking categories at all 3 resorts that you would need the 11 month owners advantage to book on a consistent basis. These are the value and club level villas at AKV. The BW and standard view at BWV and anything at all during F&W. And the standard view at BLT.

As to which resort to buy, either where you want/need that 11 month window most, or where you can score your best deal.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
__________________
--Me! & DH ,- 10 YEARS OLD, mild CP, & a Disney fan & twins, & --4!
DVC BCV owners!
DannysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner View Post
First, I haven't read the sticky lately so I hope that I am not violating any rules by posting this content here.

I have decided to buy resale but I need a little help deciding where to buy.

* We are a family of 5, the infant turns 3 in March 2014. Thus, analysis assumes 1 bedroom units.
* most of our trips occur between Nov 1 - Dec 15, although its possible we could go between Jan 1 - Feb 15 ( or end of Oct).
* We would probably like to make one trip to Disney per year and spend 7-10 nights. We would be willing to spend some time in non-DVC accommodations (to take advantage of other discounts). Therefore I'm thinking we should own enough points to spend 50-70% of our time in DVC.
* Right now I really want to stay at BWV (for proximity to Epcot, DHS, and Boardwalk); however, I could see a desire in the future to do split stays with BWV and either BLT or AKV-savannah view. So assume I want to stay at BWV 50% of the time, BLT 25% of the time, and AKV 25% of the time.
* I have never stayed at any DVC resort, but I am trying to make plans now for when baby turns 3 and we can't stay at Moderate. I have stayed at CR, Pop, CBR, CSR.

Based on the above information where should I buy?

This is what I am thinking:

1) UY needs to be something between June and October.
2) I think I need about 150 points, although I wouldn't be upset to buy 75-100 now and buy more later.
3) Based on my stated desires above, the perfect scenario would be to own 80 points at BWV, 40 points at BLT, and 40 points at AKV; however, I don't think contracts like that will fall in my lap.

I am *guessing* that if I only buy one contract I should buy BWV and hope that I can wait list a couple nights at BLT or AKV when I want to stay there.

Am I correct that both BWV and and BLT are hard to get at 7 months?

What should I do?
First things first.....I love your name. I'm an old Cubs fan.

If you want to travel anytime during Oct thru Dec and want BWV you will need to own there. Oct until mid Nov is Food & Wine and you will need that 11 month booking window. BWV and BLT are hard at 7 months at that time but not impossible. You will have better luck at AKV.

Personally I find that those small contracts like 40 points here and 40 points there won't get you much especially if you want 1 bedrooms for a week or more every year.

UY should be somewhere between June and Oct. Do not get Feb if you intend to travel at your stated times.

Good luck with your decision!!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,449

5 in a 1BR for 7-10 days? Are you crazy? (tongue-in-cheek)

Honestly, for your own sanity -- please consider a 2BR unit to allow the family a little room to spread out and enjoy themselves. You may also want to verify if BWV has bedding for a 5th person in a 1BR -- I think these units are still configured to sleep 4?
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
I would think that with your current travel patterns, an Oct UY would suit. Question for you is, as the kids get older, would you more often be planning summer trips? If your answer is yes, the I would go with a June UY
Agreeing on both points. Oct UY would be a great fit now ... but future travel may change in response to school schedules.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner View Post
3) Based on my stated desires above, the perfect scenario would be to own 80 points at BWV, 40 points at BLT, and 40 points at AKV; however, I don't think contracts like that will fall in my lap.
Ah, neat idea to split the points by percentages ... but this method will work against you when trying to book that 7-10 night stay at BLT/AKV using the home resort advantage (11 mos window). Keep in mind that the points have the home resort advantage not the owner. If you were trying to book your 2015 trip to BLT, you'd only have a max of 120 points to do this at the 11 month window: 40 banked from BLT 2014, 40 current BLT and 40 borrowed from BLT 2016. Any reservation requiring points from your other resorts would have to wait for the 7 month window when "points are points."

I'd recommend keeping your points at BWV as booking BLT/AKV at 7 months. (Don't expect the least expensive room categories at any of the resorts -- plan on mid-range room categories and hope for better?)

Last edited by bwvBound; 12-12-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo ... possibly not the only one ... oh, my.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
5 in a 1BR for 7-10 days? Are you crazy? (tongue-in-cheek)

Honestly, for your own sanity -- please consider a 2BR unit to allow the family a little room to spread out and enjoy themselves. You may also want to verify if BWV has bedding for a 5th person in a 1BR -- I think these units are still configured to sleep 4?
Correct. The BWV one bedroom has one king sized bed in the master bedroom and one queen sized sleeper sofa in the living room. No twin sized sleeper chair. There isn't enough room.

BCV is the same configuration.

What's the purpose of the 80/40/40 split? You can't do much with 40 points at BLT and 120 doesn't do much as well (about four, maybe five nights at the cheapest season in a standard one bedroom - which can be small for a family of five).
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound
5 in a 1BR for 7-10 days? Are you crazy? (tongue-in-cheek)

Honestly, for your own sanity -- please consider a 2BR unit to allow the family a little room to spread out and enjoy themselves. You may also want to verify if BWV has bedding for a 5th person in a 1BR -- I think these units are still configured to sleep 4?
I don't believe I'm crazy; however, I might by naive. I was thinking that until my youngest turns 5 he could share the king bed with wife and I and after that the three kids can take turns sleeping on an air mattress. If we do that a couple times and find out that it doesn't work then we could consider using a 2BR and either buying more points or going less often.

Based on other things I read on DIS I was under the impression that DVC would permit 5 in a 1BR, even if it isn't necessarily recommended.
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound
Agreeing on both points. Oct UY would be a great fit now ... but future travel may change in response to school schedules.
So far we are home schooling, and it's also awful hot in summer so I don't project needing to go in the summer. Thanks for the comment though.
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
WonderinAland
Mouseketeer
 
WonderinAland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 99

Yes, you can sleep 5 in a one bedroom if you provide your own bedding for the 5th. But the sleeper chair is really nice!
__________________
Wonder in Aliceland DH DS (11) DS (9) DD (5)

1976 - first trip with parents offsite, 1991 - first trip with BF (now husband) offsite, 1992 - offsite, 1995 - Dolphin, 2002 - YC, 10/2003 - BWV, 12/2003 - Renaissance Sea World, 2004 - WL, 2005 - CR, DCL, offsite, 2006 - CSR, Hilton concierge, SSR, 2007 - Poly concierge, 2008 - POFQ, 3/2009 - Poly concierge too many to list now that we're DVC members...

WonderinAland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
BillyBuckner
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

1) Correct. The BWV one bedroom has one king sized bed in the master bedroom and one queen sized sleeper sofa in the living room. No twin sized sleeper chair. There isn't enough room.

BCV is the same configuration.

2) What's the purpose of the 80/40/40 split? You can't do much with 40 points at BLT and 120 doesn't do much as well (about four, maybe five nights at the cheapest season in a standard one bedroom - which can be small for a family of five).
1) I'm just curious, is the perceived problem that there isn't enough room or there aren't enough beds. When I was at CBR and CSR this year I found room in those rooms for a twin air mattress so that my 9 year old daughter wouldn't have to share a bed.

2) I believe I stated that 80/40/40 would be nearly impossible to find; however if I could find it I was thinking that 1 year I could do a split stay BWV/BLT and the next year I could do split stay BWV/AKV. If I don't have enough points for the 3rd year then I would stay home or find non-DVC accommodations. Since that is probably not practical I was curious what the next best option(s) would be.
__________________

02/2008: 7 days @ CR; 11/2009: 12 days @ POP; 01/2012: 8 days @ CSR; 11/2012: 8 days @ CBR/CSR
BillyBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuckner View Post
1) I'm just curious, is the perceived problem that there isn't enough room or there aren't enough beds. When I was at CBR and CSR this year I found room in those rooms for a twin air mattress so that my 9 year old daughter wouldn't have to share a bed.
My responses were intended to aim more at space than beds. The 'rules' on how many are permitted to stay in a room far exceed how many I'd want to live with for more than a single night or maybe two. When staying a full week, or longer as you've suggested, we stick much lower occupancy than required just to make ourselves happy, to avoid clutter, to make sure we have enough bathrooms, etc.

I s'pose it takes a lot of space in my family to keep harmony!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #13
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 388

[QUOTE=bwvBound;46915804]My responses were intended to aim more at space than beds. The 'rules' on how many are permitted to stay in a room far exceed how many I'd want to live with for more than a single night or maybe two. When staying a full week, or longer as you've suggested, we stick much lower occupancy than required just to make ourselves happy, to avoid clutter, to make sure we have enough bathrooms, etc.

I s'pose it takes a lot of space in my family to keep harmony![/QUOTE]

I think this is the key. Many families require space to keep harmony many don`t. We are a family of 4 including 2 teenage daughters aged 16 and 18. We have no problem in a studio. Do we prefer the 2BR-absolutely-but we are still fine with a studio. We have yet to try the 1BR though I am sure it will be fine. We did our first cruise last March and all shared one stateroom. DH and I said that maybe next time we could try 2 rooms. Both girls said NO. Save the money, this was fine as long as we always have a balcony. We are so proud to have raised them to be frugal. Hope it will serve them well later.

I am sure your family can be happy in a 1BR for quite a while. This is part of what makes this point system so great--to each his own!!
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
MickeyFan612
Mouseketeer
 
MickeyFan612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 416

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

[QUOTE=montrealdisneylovers;46916218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
My responses were intended to aim more at space than beds. The 'rules' on how many are permitted to stay in a room far exceed how many I'd want to live with for more than a single night or maybe two. When staying a full week, or longer as you've suggested, we stick much lower occupancy than required just to make ourselves happy, to avoid clutter, to make sure we have enough bathrooms, etc.

I s'pose it takes a lot of space in my family to keep harmony![/QUOTE]

I think this is the key. Many families require space to keep harmony many don`t. We are a family of 4 including 2 teenage daughters aged 16 and 18. We have no problem in a studio. Do we prefer the 2BR-absolutely-but we are still fine with a studio. We have yet to try the 1BR though I am sure it will be fine. We did our first cruise last March and all shared one stateroom. DH and I said that maybe next time we could try 2 rooms. Both girls said NO. Save the money, this was fine as long as we always have a balcony. We are so proud to have raised them to be frugal. Hope it will serve them well later.

I am sure your family can be happy in a 1BR for quite a while. This is part of what makes this point system so great--to each his own!!
I completely agree that every family is different and some families need more space than others We are a family of five(3,7 and 17 year old) and we will stay in a 1 bedroom! My kids are used to camping on weekends in a pop up camper so actual living space isn't as much of a concern to them as a bed. As long as they have somewhere to sleep after long days at the parks they will be happy! We will not be in the room much anyways

Your girls sound like wonderful, thoughtful people! I hope to raise my girls with the same mindset
MickeyFan612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002
 
KAT4DISNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 8,935

My first thought is that since you have not stayed at BWV or an Epcot resort - or at any of the resorts that are next to parks or offer the Deluxe amenities - that it's really hard to predict what you will end up preferring. Because of that I'd skip the 3 resort scenario and pick one of what you think will be preferred and go only with that and look to book at the other resorts at 7 months. An assumption I am using is based on your previous travel and that you do have some flexibility and won't be crushed if you can't get in where you hoped to change to. By keeping your points at one resort you will also allow yourself more flexibility at different sized accommodations if you find a 1BR is too confining.

Also, since the plan is to not cover your whole 7-10 night stay with DVC points you already are working in one move. By adding a 3rd move with a split between DVC's it will be cumbersome and vacation time consuming IMO.
__________________
Kathy

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.