DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyLu View Post
We tip when unloading and when they bring to the room. I figure the guys unloading are organizing our stuff to keep it safe (they are also storing our groceries). So we usually tip one dollar per suitcase per trip out or in. I have also tipped the valet who calls a taxi for us--just seems the right thing to do and they are always Johnny on the spot. We always add that in to our budget and carry an envelope of 50-$1.

We also leave at least $10 for mousekeeping on T&T day and Check out.
we've taken to an even division of 5's and 1's, less space.

especially when flying on AirTran my bags are packed to the max, anybody who is willing to lug them for me will be rewarded.
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #17
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran
 
tripletsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 946

I just somehow feel wrong watching someone unload all my bags and then walking off without tipping them. That's why I wanted to know what the standard is. The fact that Disney outsourced the valets makes me feel even more obligated to double tip. Who knows!
__________________
Me DH DD8 DD8 DD8DS 6 months
tripletsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
gmboy95
Go Patriots!!!!!
 
gmboy95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Norton, Ma.
Posts: 2,413

I have stayed in many hotels.....and I always thought u tip when bags arrive in room.....but saying that now I realize I tip the valet who takes my car and brings it back?
__________________


DVC Member VWL, OKW, HH!!! Since 2001
gmboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
I just somehow feel wrong watching someone unload all my bags and then walking off without tipping them. That's why I wanted to know what the standard is. The fact that Disney outsourced the valets makes me feel even more obligated to double tip. Who knows!
The way that I see it, the person is employed to unload bags, they should get a tip if they preform some extra above and beyond service. For some reason people tend to tip extra while on vacation, I guess giving someone money makes us feel good.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
For some reason people tend to tip extra while on vacation, I guess giving someone money makes us feel good.

Bill
I think for many part of it is they subconsciously feel guilty about being able to take such vacations, I'll reference you to those that speak to the income level of the tipped position as a likely example of this situation.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I think for many part of it is they subconsciously feel guilty about being able to take such vacations, I'll reference you to those that speak to the income level of the tipped position as a likely example of this situation.
Unfortuantely, here will always be people who refuse to tip, just the way of the world. I'd like to think tipping is more a show of appreciation for good services rendered. Most would acknowledge that in our current system valets are a tipping position, and go with the flow.

I'm sure there are other DVC'rs who have been employed in the service industry (whether via a summer job, working their way through college or even as a displaced worker in hard times) and remember the drill of working a menial job for meager pay, depending upon tips to make a living wage.

fyi, for those who use gift cards/coupons etc, when dining, the tip is customarily allocated on the pre-discounted amount.
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
bighoo93
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Unfortuantely, here will always be people who refuse to tip, just the way of the world. I'd like to think tipping is more a show of appreciation for good services rendered. Most would acknowledge that in our current system valets are a tipping position, and go with the flow.
It would be nice, though, if everyone was just out in the open about it. Many times, these "tipping positions" aggressively seek to perform their service for me, as if it is a complimentary part of the deal (i.e., they are already compensated). And why would I deny that? They just greet me and start grabbing my bags before I can say anything. But if someone expects/deserves $10 to push the cart of my luggage up to my room, I'd rather just do it myself. No offense, it just isn't a service that is worth $10 (or more) to me. I'd rather that they were open about the charge for their service and the option for me to request it. I know that isn't how it works, but I do think that is sometimes the reason why such services don't receive tips. Maybe the customer didn't want it in the first place.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #23
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
It would be nice, though, if everyone was just out in the open about it. Many times, these "tipping positions" aggressively seek to perform their service for me, as if it is a complimentary part of the deal (i.e., they are already compensated). And why would I deny that? They just greet me and start grabbing my bags before I can say anything. But if someone expects/deserves $10 to push the cart of my luggage up to my room, I'd rather just do it myself. No offense, it just isn't a service that is worth $10 (or more) to me. I'd rather that they were open about the charge for their service and the option for me to request it. I know that isn't how it works, but I do think that is sometimes the reason why such services don't receive tips. Maybe the customer didn't want it in the first place.
i understand what you're saying, nobody wants to be gouged, but the betting woman in me would go with majority of hotels adhering to their bottom line with bellman positions receiving less than minimum wage with tips factored into their wages ala servers.

Without gratuities the hotel would likely pass the increased wages they would need to pay to keep the employees along to the guests in room rates or a resort fee. It's an ala carte service. Many guests do handle their own luggage if just 1 bag but days of self-serve luggage carts in better establishments appears to be a thing of the past.
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran
 
tripletsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 946

Oooh self serve luggage carts would be great! We don't really need the service of someone loading and unloading the cart. We really just need the cart to handle all the stuff we bring for a 1-2 week stay.
__________________
Me DH DD8 DD8 DD8DS 6 months
tripletsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
Oooh self serve luggage carts would be great! We don't really need the service of someone loading and unloading the cart. We really just need the cart to handle all the stuff we bring for a 1-2 week stay.
The policy of providing carts means less tips for Bell Services. The unions will argue that there is a liability issue of guests using carts and there could be but tips are the main reason.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,599

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Most would acknowledge that in our current system valets are a tipping position, and go with the flow.
Yep.


I would bet that the etiquette of tipping when the bags get to you is based on a non-Disney system where one person unloads the car, follows you to checkin, then follows you up to your room. Sure, it's Disney's fault, not our fault, that they have two people performing this, but ultimately, it's more than one person touching our bags. So split the tip in half if you must, but recognize that more than one person is doing you a service.

I'm pretty sure that if one person performed it all, I would tip them more than I'm tipping with Disney's system.


And I can be pushed too far, too. Our first time at Royal Pacific, there was one guy who unloaded our car and put bags on the cart, then he handed the cart to someone else, he went to Bell Services with the bags, and then we had to have someone else bring the bags to our room. Now that was too many!
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Unfortuantely, here will always be people who refuse to tip, just the way of the world. I'd like to think tipping is more a show of appreciation for good services rendered. Most would acknowledge that in our current system valets are a tipping position, and go with the flow.

I'm sure there are other DVC'rs who have been employed in the service industry (whether via a summer job, working their way through college or even as a displaced worker in hard times) and remember the drill of working a menial job for meager pay, depending upon tips to make a living wage.

fyi, for those who use gift cards/coupons etc, when dining, the tip is customarily allocated on the pre-discounted amount.
I'm not sure your point. If your referencing me specifically, I tip valet's on pick up as recommended, I tip on pre discounted amounts and I round up when we share meals. I've also worked low paying jobs with and without tips and I know what it's like to go hungry because you can't afford to buy food. Many's the time when eaten ketchup sandwiches or ate stale cereal because that's all that was available. However, I don't think that matters, what does matter is tipping appropriately based on a standard. Some don't tip or tip appropriately just like there are those that go on cruises and skip dining the last night to avoid tipping, pretty low class as an appropriate tip is part of the deal IMO. Many over tip as well and it seems particularly common at Disney, their choice of course but lets honestly label it what it is. IMO, tipping both ways on valet or both groups on the bags the full amount each is over tipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
i understand what you're saying, nobody wants to be gouged, but the betting woman in me would go with majority of hotels adhering to their bottom line with bellman positions receiving less than minimum wage with tips factored into their wages ala servers.

Without gratuities the hotel would likely pass the increased wages they would need to pay to keep the employees along to the guests in room rates or a resort fee. It's an ala carte service. Many guests do handle their own luggage if just 1 bag but days of self-serve luggage carts in better establishments appears to be a thing of the past.
I think it's safe to bet that most valet's are in a tipped position, I've referenced the industry standards already. It's not safe to assume the same for housekeeping because it's not so. In general though I despise the system that passes on these costs to customers in such a haphazard and skewed way. Far better to do away with the entire practice and charge what the costs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
The policy of providing carts means less tips for Bell Services. The unions will argue that there is a liability issue of guests using carts and there could be but tips are the main reason.

Bill
Most timeshare provide carts, I think VB used to as well, not sure if they still do. Most timeshare don't have valet parking or bell services other than for HC situation unless they are mixed use properties with combined checkin areas. Personally I prefer the carts but I know not everyone does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Yep.


I would bet that the etiquette of tipping when the bags get to you is based on a non-Disney system where one person unloads the car, follows you to checkin, then follows you up to your room. Sure, it's Disney's fault, not our fault, that they have two people performing this, but ultimately, it's more than one person touching our bags. So split the tip in half if you must, but recognize that more than one person is doing you a service.

I'm pretty sure that if one person performed it all, I would tip them more than I'm tipping with Disney's system.


And I can be pushed too far, too. Our first time at Royal Pacific, there was one guy who unloaded our car and put bags on the cart, then he handed the cart to someone else, he went to Bell Services with the bags, and then we had to have someone else bring the bags to our room. Now that was too many!
Disney is by no means the only situation where there are 2 different groups involved. IMO, that Disney created a division changes nothing on this topic but I could see dividing the tip between the 2 for the same total.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'm not sure your point. If your referencing me specifically, I tip valet's on pick up as recommended, I tip on pre discounted amounts and I round up when we share meals. I've also worked low paying jobs with and without tips and I know what it's like to go hungry because you can't afford to buy food. Many's the time when eaten ketchup sandwiches or ate stale cereal because that's all that was available. However, I don't think that matters, what does matter is tipping appropriately based on a standard. Some don't tip or tip appropriately just like there are those that go on cruises and skip dining the last night to avoid tipping, pretty low class as an appropriate tip is part of the deal IMO. Many over tip as well and it seems particularly common at Disney, their choice of course but lets honestly label it what it is. IMO, tipping both ways on valet or both groups on the bags the full amount each is over tipping.

I think it's safe to bet that most valet's are in a tipped position, I've referenced the industry standards already. It's not safe to assume the same for housekeeping because it's not so. In general though I despise the system that passes on these costs to customers in such a haphazard and skewed way. Far better to do away with the entire practice and charge what the costs are.

Most timeshare provide carts, I think VB used to as well, not sure if they still do. Most timeshare don't have valet parking or bell services other than for HC situation unless they are mixed use properties with combined checkin areas. Personally I prefer the carts but I know not everyone does.

Disney is by no means the only situation where there are 2 different groups involved. IMO, that Disney created a division changes nothing on this topic but I could see dividing the tip between the 2 for the same total.
no specific reference to you. my point is that the expectation of minimum tips are built into many jobs via a flawed system that saves hotels $, same with cruiselines. Naturally, people can choose to not tip, but the OP posed a question that fell into the tipping category in general as to guidelines. As for over-tipping, i've never heard of anybody complaining about being tipped too much. We're the norm, typically tip a couple of $s per bag, 20% in restaurants, but more when we feel it is deserved.

My DH also prefers self-service luggage carts (especially when his golf clubs are involved lol) but he admits that at hotels where they don't offer bell-serivces, the carts can be hard to find when you need them.

bumbershoot - yes, it's amusing at the onsite universal hotels where one's luggage moves a grand total of 30 feet, with the expectation of 2 different tips, not to mention the delivery to the room. We now just split the intial tip between the 1st two gentlemen we encounter there and give larger 2nd tip to the employee that delivers the luggage to the room. Especially at PBH where they have to push it over the cobblestones in the harbor.
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #29
Dano1182
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 774

Self service carts would be nice.There is one problem with that.

I have stayed in hotels with no or limited valet type service.(residence inn)

Some Marriott vaction clubs have carts by thier villas.

People use the carts take the bags to the room and then leave the cart in the hallway.Or use the carts when leaving and leave them in parking lot.

Then there are the kids and drunk adults who use them as skateboards.


Then quiclky there are none left in lobby.

I recently started to give a small tip to unlaooder and a standard dollar a bag to valet who brings to room.

I agrre it is funny how you need to be in the room for some things and not other delveries.
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
backyardponder
DIS Veteran
 
backyardponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 1,499

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
I don't tip people!


It's not nice to push people over!
Good one!
backyardponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: