Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #421
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos
My Achilles is really tight and hurts. Any good stretches or remedies?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Lie down on your back, loop a towel over the ball of your foot, gently pull down.

Also, the yoga pose Downward Dog, alternating pressure by bending one knee, then the other while pushing a little harder on the non-bent leg.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #422
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
So I'll do 20 miles in two weeks in time.for a.three week taper. Trying to.decide whether to.do 18 miles next weekend or take a pull back.week and do 10. Does any other plan do pull back weeks or is that just Galloway?
I would do a pull back. I am doing Higdon Novice 2 and he has step back weeks every 2/3 weeks. This week was 19 (I only made it 18) and next week is 12. Then 20, then three week taper.

My long runs for the past couple of weeks (and next two weeks) have been 15/13/17/18/13/19/12/20.

I would probably do something in the 11-13 range if you did 6/10/15. Then try for 18-20 in two weeks.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #423
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabetha

Lie down on your back, loop a towel over the ball of your foot, gently pull down.

Also, the yoga pose Downward Dog, alternating pressure by bending one knee, then the other while pushing a little harder on the non-bent leg.
Thanks!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #424
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
My Achilles is really tight and hurts. Any good stretches or remedies?

There's this yoga for runner's thing I do and it has a stretch similar to this that feels really good on the arch

You start of hear but then sit back as far as you can go. You can also roll your foot on a tennis ball.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #425
rocio
DIS Veteran

I see I read too quickly! Thought you said arch. Oops. Well if anybody has a tight arch that works ^^^^^^
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #426
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio
I see I read too quickly! Thought you said arch. Oops. Well if anybody has a tight arch that works ^^^^^^
It's ok, I get that too! LOL

Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #427
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
Wow! Nicely done! I'm jealous that you already got your long run in for the week. I have 18 miles scheduled for tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to that alarm going off. Hope you get to sleep in and rest up tomorrow!
Only benefit of not having a job is you can train on Friday mornings.
CaptHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #428
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

rocio Most plans have pull back weeks. I would definitely take advantage of it next weekend.

PRmamiDEdos You can Google for stretches for "Soleus". The one I do is this one:

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Soleus/Wall.html

The bend in the rear leg (the one you are trying to stretch) is the key. It's almost a mini-squat/sit movement. And BTW, the site this is on is great for undertsandin muscles, strengthening exercises and stretches.

I ran in the "rich town" today, which means several things--nice quiet roads (which are well cleared of snow in winter), mostly tasteful Christmas decorations, hills and distance. I run there when I am doing over 15 miles, generally. Today I did 16. It went reasonably well, and I finished with generally the usual aches and pains. A little pain in the foot--although not sure why.

So I'm pleased--longest run in 4 months. Next week I'll step back,but I am throwing in a tempo run and "baby" speedwork. But the main goal is injury-free endurance.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #429
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat
rocio Most plans have pull back weeks. I would definitely take advantage of it next weekend.

PRmamiDEdos You can Google for stretches for "Soleus". The one I do is this one:

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Soleus/Wall.html

The bend in the rear leg (the one you are trying to stretch) is the key. It's almost a mini-squat/sit movement. And BTW, the site this is on is great for undertsandin muscles, strengthening exercises and stretches.

I ran in the "rich town" today, which means several things--nice quiet roads (which are well cleared of snow in winter), mostly tasteful Christmas decorations, hills and distance. I run there when I am doing over 15 miles, generally. Today I did 16. It went reasonably well, and I finished with generally the usual aches and pains. A little pain in the foot--although not sure why.

So I'm pleased--longest run in 4 months. Next week I'll step back,but I am throwing in a tempo run and "baby" speedwork. But the main goal is injury-free endurance.

Maura
Thanks for the link.

I love running in the more expensive part of town. On yesterday's run, DH and I kept pointing out all the houses we loved along the bay.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #430
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Anyone know at what point I'm safe and the sweepers won't care about me (on the full)? I start out about 15 min but at the end of 20 my avg dropped to 16.5 min pace. I could try to go faster but I'm having heart rate issues ( cant get it to drop below 153) even when walking. Turning 40 is for the birds.

dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #431
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

I'm feeling for all of you whose weekend run didn't go quite as planned. I was supposed to do 18 this week. I tried on Wednesday and only made 12. My IT band was killing me and I decided to stop. Tried for the magic 18 again yesterday and made it 14, walking the last 2 miles. Not only did my IT band act up again, I felt very nauseous. I am really freeking out now that this marathon thing may have been a mistake. I have a pull back week this week and I will take full advantage of the rest and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my 20 miler is more sucesssful.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #432
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams91
Anyone know at what point I'm safe and the sweepers won't care about me (on the full)? I start out about 15 min but at the end of 20 my avg dropped to 16.5 min pace. I could try to go faster but I'm having heart rate issues ( cant get it to drop below 153) even when walking. Turning 40 is for the birds.
I think as long as you're not inthe last corral, you might be safe. I think the 16:00 per mile clock starts when the last person crosses the start line. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #433
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

That soleus stretch is amazing. I did downward dog and it helped a little but when I did the bent knee thing against the wall, OHMIGAWD!! Sooo much better!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #434
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Hi, everybody,
Still working on ramping the training up post-surgery. I bought just a basic 6" ace bandage and wrapped that tightly around my chest. We went 8 miles today doing a 1 min run/2.5 min walk interval. That's the reverse of what I've been training at for the last several months. It went well and I felt pretty good completing the distance. We did our 20-miler before my surgery and I'd like to get in one more long run before the race. So, right now I'm thinking we will do 10 miles next weekend and then try to do 18-20 on the weekend before Christmas and then taper before the marathon. Doing the interval we did today, we average a 13:45 min/mile. I think we can probably adjust the intervals and maybe get to a 2 min run/1 min walk before race day. Is getting in just one more long one of 18-20 along with my other 20 miler going to be enough mileage to have us ready? I hope so, cause that's probably all we can manage.
ZellyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #435
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB
Hi, everybody,
Still working on ramping the training up post-surgery. I bought just a basic 6" ace bandage and wrapped that tightly around my chest. We went 8 miles today doing a 1 min run/2.5 min walk interval. That's the reverse of what I've been training at for the last several months. It went well and I felt pretty good completing the distance. We did our 20-miler before my surgery and I'd like to get in one more long run before the race. So, right now I'm thinking we will do 10 miles next weekend and then try to do 18-20 on the weekend before Christmas and then taper before the marathon. Doing the interval we did today, we average a 13:45 min/mile. I think we can probably adjust the intervals and maybe get to a 2 min run/1 min walk before race day. Is getting in just one more long one of 18-20 along with my other 20 miler going to be enough mileage to have us ready? I hope so, cause that's probably all we can manage.
God bless you and I just want to let you know you're amazing!! Sounds like your recovery is going well!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: