DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Not sure we're into purchase via resale

Called our guide last week to inquire about buying 60 pts at BC. The costs = pts plus a $100 for closing and dues. We can get our UY and the pts will be in our account within 48 hours.

If we buy 60 pts is it worth buying resale - lets not even talk about FINDING a contract that small in our UY - ? It seems to me that when buying smaller contracts the up-charge per pt is dramatic and since the smaller contracts are in demand they go fast and sell high. The fees are significantly higher with resale and vary with broker / title company. Then there's the whole waiting game with the points (which BTW I never understood how they can figure the dues when it takes 2 months before the pts are in your account).

It's kinda like walking onto a car lot for an SUV and they try to sell you a mustang because the gas mileage and price are the same. (That's actually happened - needless to say those fatal words were uttered, "we'll think about it.")

If I can find a contract that small it seems like a difference of $1200 - which is significant . I really want my SUV. I don't need the V8, just the room.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Smaller contracts are difficult to find and generally sell the instant they are listed. If you find a resale one for right amount of points you are looking for, the contract also typically sells at the listed price.

We are on the contact list for the major resalers; however, it still requires work to constantly look each individual site for the smaller listings in our UY. They are often sold before there is an opportunity to be notified by email that one is available. We had recently added on via direct for a small contract in our UY after waiting several months. The points were loaded same day. During that time I had seen several small 25-50 pt contracts come and go. By the time I would place the call and put offer in, the contract was sold which was within a short period of time of seeing the new listing appear.

Good luck to you.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld
Called our guide last week to inquire about buying 60 pts at BC. The costs = pts plus a $100 for closing and dues. We can get our UY and the pts will be in our account within 48 hours.

If we buy 60 pts is it worth buying resale - lets not even talk about FINDING a contract that small in our UY - ? It seems to me that when buying smaller contracts the up-charge per pt is dramatic and since the smaller contracts are in demand they go fast and sell high. The fees are significantly higher with resale and vary with broker / title company. Then there's the whole waiting game with the points (which BTW I never understood how they can figure the dues when it takes 2 months before the pts are in your account).

It's kinda like walking onto a car lot for an SUV and they try to sell you a mustang because the gas mileage and price are the same. (That's actually happened - needless to say those fatal words were uttered, "we'll think about it.")

If I can find a contract that small it seems like a difference of $1200 - which is significant . I really want my SUV. I don't need the V8, just the room.
You fall into one of the few categories in which you'd be better off buying direct. There aren't many 50-point contracts that come on the market, let alone a more odd number such as 60. Plus when you factor in the waiting for the right UY and the increased closing costs, you actually are better off buying through Disney.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

We actually got lucky once with a 25 pt. resale with our Aug.UY right before the big change of March,2011,but we also bought a 61 pt. contract direct because we could not find another nice small contract with our UY .-Good luck
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post

It depends on how soon you really need the points. Personally I'd try to resale then go retail if you don't find what you want. For this amount it really isn't that much savings for resale so if you need them sooner, I'd just buy resale. Or you could look at alternate home resorts if that fits your needs.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
It depends on how soon you really need the points. Personally I'd try to resale then go retail if you don't find what you want. For this amount it really isn't that much savings for resale so if you need them sooner, I'd just buy resale. Or you could look at alternate home resorts if that fits your needs.
We already have 2 home resorts - one based on price and the other on want, however we've found that we really enjoy the Epcot area and pretty much trade into it except when we're ousted by the 7-month window during the F&W. We fell in love with the Dolphin this year so that might be something we'll do instead of buy the 60 pts which would give us a week at BCV every other year during F&W.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

We bought a BWV 52-pt loaded contract after months of looking for Beach Club. It's hard to get, so I don't think buying BC direct is a bad thing at all, especially since you're looking for a specific UY.

What is Beach Club going for direct these days?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
We already have 2 home resorts - one based on price and the other on want, however we've found that we really enjoy the Epcot area and pretty much trade into it except when we're ousted by the 7-month window during the F&W. We fell in love with the Dolphin this year so that might be something we'll do instead of buy the 60 pts which would give us a week at BCV every other year during F&W.
If you don't need the points right now it might be worth trying to find the right resale, it just depends on your situation, needs and willingness to put in the time and effort. You're still talking a couple thousand differences. Unless you already own at BCV, you might consider looking for a slightly larger resale or at least a range from 50-100 or so.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

We got a 64 point BCV resale last year for the UY we wanted. I called immediately when I saw it, however there was already an offer accepted. I asked to be put on the list in case the sale fell through, two weeks later I got the call...if I was willing to pay full price it was mine...we debated and within the hour said yes. If we didn't accept full price it would be back on the "open for sale" listings, and we could take our chances that someone wouldn't make an offer at the listed price. We took it, and although I've seen lower prices since, we are happy with our decision. We had the points in DVC within five weeks later!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
Irishmom23
DIS Veteran
Some Tag Fairies are IRISH themselves! :-D

I looked for well over a year for a small BCV contract for my use year on the resale market. It was difficult to find and when I did find one, it was sold before I could make an offer. Even being on a wait list did not help as my use year did not come up or there were too many points (wanted less than 100) I finally purchased direct in October (75 points) and already booked my Food and Wine for next year, and combined some with my SSR for a huge family trip next July. It cost more but worth it because I have what I want in time for when I needed those additional points. Not one regret going direct in this case.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
ldo
DIS Veteran

I bought a small HHI contract for $80 PP via direct. Closing costs were $28 thru DVC. I bought in July for OCt UY, and so I got the prior year's points. I also got the exact # of points I wanted.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: