Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

My daughter had this recently and I realized she didn't have any stuffed bears! Luckily I saved a couple from my childhood and I knew where it was packed away! So I rummaged through the crawl space for a teddy bear. I guess I just thought it meant it had to be specifically a bear.... I guess I am in the minority....
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

teddy bears are like the original stuffed animal. Now there are soooooooo many stuffed animals. My dd has stuffed monkeys, fish, snakes, bunnies, hippos etc. I think she has one stuffed bear somewhere. Many many years ago, I think stuffed animals were more rare and maybe there wasn't the selection there is today?
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

My dd has 2 stuffed bears from build a bear birthday parties years ago but they aren't her favorite animal. I can tell you as a preschooler if my dd wanted to bring an animal other than a teddy bear in for teddy bear week i'd have let her. That isn't a battle worth fighting.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
CheekyRose
Mouseketeer

Since you specified "teddy bear", I'd assume you meant an actual bear. If a teacher meant "your favorite stuffed animal", I'd expect the wording such as "stuffy" or "stuffed animal".

That said, a lot of kids don't have teddy bears anymore. Our elementary school does a teddy bear picnic in kindergarten where the kids are supposed to bring in a teddy bear. My kids both brought in teddy bears that they had received as gifts and we had around the house in like-new condition. They both had tons of stuffed animals of other sorts, but just never liked the bears, so if it weren't for those gifts, both my kids would have had to bring in a dog or horse or monkey.
CheekyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

To me, a teddy bear is a stuffed bear. Not a giraffe, moose, cat, etc. A bear.

That being said, kids have different stuffies. I slept with a teddy bear until I met my husband at age 19.

DS sleeps with a pillow pet. He has a hard time sleeping without it - even though he is almost 16.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

I think of a Teddy Bear as a stuffed bear.

However, if pre-schoolers are invited to bring a Teddy Bear to school, I would just assume that there will be some children who don't have Teddy Bears and some children who, given the chance to bring a stuffed animal to school, are going to choose to bring their favorite stuffed friend, and that's okay. The alternative (expecting preschoolers without Teddy Bears to lose the opportunity to take a stuffed animal to school) would be pretty mean-spirited, IMO.

If this is repeated next year, I think the invitations should make it clear that stuffed friends of all varieties are welcome (to save what should be a fun activity from being stressful for parents and kids).
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

My " Teddy" is a beagle named Belle ( snoopy's sister). I have lots of bears but they are polar bear variety. I may have a brown teddy bear around here but who knows.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

My daughter's pre-K class had teddy bear day too. I helped her dig a bear out of the toy box, but her favorite stuffed toy -- Boots the monkey -- went along too (to hear my daughter tell it, Boots would have thrown a big fit if he was not allowed along). I think it is highly likely that only the monkey came out of her bag at school, since she never plays with the bear.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszdtrvl View Post
To me, a teddy bear is a stuffed bear. Not a giraffe, moose, cat, etc. A bear.

That being said, kids have different stuffies. I slept with a teddy bear until I met my husband at age 19.

DS sleeps with a pillow pet. He has a hard time sleeping without it - even though he is almost 16.
I sleep with a brown bear every night and I'm 56. I can't sleep without it. My DH kinda looks at it like but he doesn't say anything.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
Princess_Meghan <3
DIS Veteran

I would have assumed favorite stuffed animal- I have a Care Bear, Bedtime Bear, that I still sleep with at 20, who I brought to stuff like that(though sometimes my care bears rotated out who got to go to school for things like show and tell). My sister has a stuffed dog named rottie, and my other sister had a stuffed german shepherd that looked like our dog.

The kids I babysit have a range of animals that do activities with us. The 6 year old I babysit has a bear, named bear, who does everything with us. His 3 year old brother has a stuffed jaguar named baby kitty who does everything with us.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Teddy bears are awesome, well any stuffed animal really, because they always seem to be the perfect pillow. I can always fall asleep faster on my bear than I can any pillow on the bed, and there's lots of pillows.

While my favorite is a bear, I can picture a lot of kids wanting to show off their favorite stuffy rather than bringing a bear they don't like as much.

BTW, Thanks for making a bunch of Build a Bear ads show up on the DIS.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

I'm somewhat surprised that you'd assume every child has or wants a teddy bear, to be honest.

I didn't have a teddy bear when I was little and neither did my daughter. We just weren't into bears. I had a baby doll. My dd had a stuffed black and white pig and then a stuffed Mickey that she loved. Now that I think about it, my sister had a stuffed worm that was her favorite.

If I were a parent and it was "teddy bear week" at school, I'd assume it's was totally acceptable that my child bring in their favorite stuffed animal. I'd assume you'd rather she do that than make her feel left out for not having the "approved" stuffed animal.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #28
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

My younger brother had a blankie, my sister had a big polar bear she brought with her everywhere, and I had a cat. I had that cat from the time I was 5 until I graduated college!!!!

ETA: I don't even really like cats in real life. So it was funny that I was so attached to that thing!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #29
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I would have assumed to bring an actual bear for "Teddy Bear week". I am surprised actually that quite a few read it as just bring a stuffed animal. To me, a stuffed animal is a general term for any animal/character with stuffing. A teddy bear is only a bear. Not a monkey, pig, penguin, etc. Just a bear. I am a stickler for details.

With that said, a lot of kids don't have actual teddy bears. It would have been best to specify to bring their favorite stuffed animal.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
Ppufi
Care Bear at Heart

A teddy bear is definitely only a bear. Anything else is a stuffed animal.

I still have my teddy bear, Miss Bear.

Imagine it, Create it.
Ppufi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: