Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Tokyo Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

18 days to go

So, Tokyo Sky Tree for some great pics, fingers crossed. Tokyo National Museum, DH choice. He thought we might enjoy it more Ride the trains. I need to right down the stations that we will need and the lines that they are on. Have you seen that spaghetti of a map Good thing the map or some of them are in English(Romanji). Ito-ya for washi paper to make some invites for a vow renewal in like 4 yrs. Not planning a little early for that am I Monday/Tuesday will be busy in Tokyo. Than FUN and in TDL/Sea.

What else can I find to do?

Actually, I want this to be a fun and relaxing trip. Whatever we miss this time, we can catch another time The joys of living in the same time zone as Tokyo. Don't forget no jet lag Now if the exchange rate would go up just a little bit more

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

We went!!! We saw!!! And We Did!!!!

Well, not all of it

We flew into Narita, and found our luggage and the 1st floor where we needed to be to get the shuttle. Only the very nice lady at the info desk had no clue what we were talking about

We usually chalk it up to lost in translation. There is a shuttle. It is called Airport Limousine aka Bus. It is the Orange counter that you buy your tickets at. It made my life easier. See, I get air sick And after the flight/meds, I was in no condition to help DH figure out how to use the trains to get from the airport to TDL. Which by the way is one more floor down, 1Fd or something like that.

Not that the trains would have been difficult, or were once we used them. But it had been a few years(Washington DC) and this is a different country)

Quick stop to pick up some water and some yummy bread. I highly recommend the bread. I don't know what these guys do to it. But it is so gooooood. We wait for the bus.

After an hour on the bus and trip on the Expressway, we pull off. We got to see some of the skyline of Tokyo and it just proved to me that I was a small town gal We started to make our stops. Stop at the Ikspiari/Bon Voyage, one of the Disney Hotels and lastly and our hotel.....Hilton!!!!

Here is where, life and the Corps have taught me to be flexible. We got to the hotel and checked in about 5pm. We were pretty tired. Me not knowing about how far things were and how long it was going to take..... I thought we would be up for going to go shopping at Ito-ya and at on the town. Not really. Skipped the first thing, oh well.

Chrissy
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Tuesday morning, we get have some breakfast and we begin our adventure.

The first thing to know is that you will need to buy a pass for the Disney Train.

Thankfully, I knew this because I had read this somewhere on the DISboards.

You have an option to buy per trip and per day. We bought for our entire stay. Who knew how many times we were riding the train. Most days it was just 2 times but a couple times there were multiple trips. Gotta get those last minute shopping done.

Off to the Maihama Station, to find Uneo Station. We had already stacked the deck in our favor by asking the wonderful people at the hotel which way to go to get to the Museum. We just needed to figure out how to get tickets

For those of you who have never done this, there is a window where you can ask them how much it is to get to the station you want. For us it was going to be 210Yen per person. There is also and English button on the machine. At least one of the maps will be in English/Romanji. You will also be able to track your movement on the trains, because the station will be announced in Japanese but also on English.

Because we did not do the easy thing and stay on the JR line We got off and took the subway to Uneo and had to get tickets again. We did not realize that at first. When changing Lines, you will need to buy tickets at the station you change Lines at.

Made it to Uneo Station. There are 9 exits!!!! How can one place have that many???? It took us a few minutes to figure that one out. Thankfully, there were more maps. When we got above ground we could understand and see why we needed to go out the way we did. We would have never crossed the road.

Now to find the Park with the "Learning so this is alittle bit of School". Found it!!!

The Tokyo National Museum was great!! I got to take pictures, and only had to pay for me and DH, 1200 Yen. We only saw one building and skipped the special exhibits. But there were, I believe, 2-3 other buildings that we could have gone into and explored without paying for the special exhibits.

Semper Gumbi

We want to go see the Natural History and Science Museum. Okay, who am I to question when the Family wants to do another museum and learn some more. Off to another. That was neat. They had a pendulum clock. I could see DS sticking his hand in there and messing it up

Oh, no DD saw a sign for a chocolate exhibit. We go check it out. It is a special exhibit so now I have to pay for all of us The very nice lady taking our Yen said that the exhibit was all in Japanese. She warned us. We decided not to go. If it had been translated a little bit than we would have gone.

In the Park, there is a Zoo and many other Museums. By the time we had walked out of the Park the kiddos were tired and hungry.

No Skytree: Skipped the second thing

Chrissy
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Sorry, things have been alittle crazy with Birthday Ball and getting ready for Christmas. I do have one more gift to get, wrap and ship it off. The good thing about living so far from family, is that you have to get Christmas presents, wrap and ship done early so that you can enjoy the holidays with no stress over last minute shopping

We had a moment of brilliance and got our tickets at the hotel the night before we wanted to go to TDL. Because we got just 2 day tickets, we had to tell them which day we wanted to go to which park.

TDL first

DisneySea second

In hindsight, we should have done it the either way around. We went to DisneySea the day before a Japanese holiday and it was crowded. Or more crowded than TDL was. Don't know if the holiday was a factor in Sea being crowded or if that is standard.

Next time we go, we will not do Sea right before a holiday

After a day, we have or routine down for the trains. DD has the train tickets in her Micky purse and hands them out. DH goes first followed by the kids and than me. All the crazy Yankees go through the same ticket counter, so Mom can make sure her little loveable, crazy Monsters are all there. DD collects the tickets for the ride hands them back out when we leave the station and collects them again, and repeat as many times as needed.

Sitting on the Disney train, the kids were getting excited.

DS, is this our stop?
DS, is this our stop?
DS, is this our stop?

Okay, maybe not many times. I think from the Hilton, it was 2 stops. But I could be wrong. There are a total of 4 stops on the Disney train.

After spending a year in Okinawa, we have come to go with the flow. We appreciate the fact that we are not in the US and that things here are done catering to the main customer, the Japanese customer. I also appreciate the fact that I am a person from the South/Tropical climate. Winter and I do not get along

As we walked into TDL and walked down Main Street, DD and I felt like we had come home.

It brought a tear to my eye to see the Christmas decorations. I told DD that it was a good thing we came when we did. Cause than when we got home, I would not break the rule and decorate before Thanksgiving. I was in heavan listening to the Christmas music. We grabbed a map, not thinking Can't read it. Send DD back for one in English. Thank goodness for cell phones. People are lined up for an hour for the parade........

We decide to hit the rides. Space mountain here we come. DD and DH were alittle disappointed. Not the stomach dropping ride that it is at WDW. We should have known something was up, when we heard no one screaming?!?!?!? We make our way around the park and see and do.

Got a Snowman Mickey popcorn bucket. Tried lots of popcorn. Popcorn really. Yes, popcorn....curry, caramel, apple cinnamon, sea salt, strawberry, chocolate, honey. About $30 worth Not all at TDL some of it was at Sea. We got a Duffy with a Santa hat at Sea.

We rode Pooh and many other rides.

We also did the pressed "pennies". IT is a copper slug. It is great because now I can mount those with the ones from WDW. We figured there were about 45 machines costing about 100Yen, DH said I could not bring back $50 worth of pressed pennies That is okay, I did not want to carry that many anyway. So, we were alittle picky about the ones we got. We brought back $40 between the 2 parks.

On our last trip my family and I got into finding hidden Micky. So much so, any 3 circles is a hidden Mickey to DS We did so one of the CMs working the train station the "hidden fist" Mickey. Two people are required. One person uses both fist and makes the Ears and the other person is the Face with one fist. The CM got a kick out of it.

This trip we spent time looking for hidden Mickey. We found some, official ones and some unofficial ones But it made us appreciate the themeing of the parks more and more.

Somethings that really floored me.

One, the Japanese Ladies love to be stylish with their short skirts/shorts and 4/5in heels. Found out later how they stayed warm(heat pockets that stick on wish I had known that )

Two, Even though there are lines and crowds...most people were very nice and the lines moved extremely well.

Three, this meant so much to me. While waiting for the Night time Illuminations Parade, the kids were huddled over and cuddled together cold.... this very nice lady behind us put her blanket on the kids.

Four, the whole experience to them is important...the rides, the shows, the parades, the food, you name it.

Five, think outside the box when it comes to your souvenirs.... I knew that but I had to remind myself of that. I was looking for t-shirt but that was not going to work. Got the kids Duffy purses(DisneySea), and unknowingly got them something that said Tokyo Disney. do the pressed pennies because some will say TDL or something else about TDL

Six, look for those Characters you know but don't see at WDW.

I'll post pics, when I can remember how to do it

Chrissy
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
disneyobsessed808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997 View Post
Got a Snowman Mickey popcorn bucket. Tried lots of popcorn. Popcorn really. Yes, popcorn....curry, caramel, apple cinnamon, sea salt, strawberry, chocolate, honey. About $30 worth Not all at TDL some of it was at Sea. We got a Duffy with a Santa hat at Sea.
Me too! I am pretty sure I ended up buying 6 refills of popcorn! The Shoyu (Soy Sauce) butter is my favorite, with strawberry being a close second.

Anderson
Headed to Tokyo and Tokyo Disney Resort November 10-24, 2012. Check out my Tokyo Trip Report
Tokyo Disney Resort May 2009, Nov 2012
Disneyland Resort May 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan 2001, Mar 2004, Oct 2005, Nov 2006, Annual Passholder with Monthly trips, 2007 to 2012
Walt Disney World 1987 (I was 2) Mar 1997, Jul 2002 (All Star Movies), May 2007 (Pop Century) and hopefully Sept 2013
disneyobsessed808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
downunder
Mouseketeer

was it cold???e are going Jan 15... It is going to be freezing!

Please Read my Trip Report (it is my first one)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1506272
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #22
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyobsessed808 View Post
Me too! I am pretty sure I ended up buying 6 refills of popcorn! The Shoyu (Soy Sauce) butter is my favorite, with strawberry being a close second.
We did not get the Soy Sauce, but I think the fav for the adults was the curry. It was so different and addicting. The chocolate, and caramel. Apple Cinnamon. I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
was it cold???e are going Jan 15... It is going to be freezing!
We were freezing. My advice would be to look for the hot packs, kinda like a heating pad that sticks to you. And wear those, especially at night. It started getting dark at 4 and the temp went down fast..... We did find that they had out hot tea/hot chocolate/hot coffee. Just be warned they don't add sugar/sweetener to that. You may want to ask for gum syrup(liquid sugar). We have gotten used to the hot tea or tea not sweet. Coffee is

Chrissy
Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #23
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

After thinking and thinking, sound like Pooh , I decided that the Japanese like TDL ok but their favorite is DisneySea. I could be wrong. I could be totally off on this. It was the day before a national holiday and that could be why the park was busy, but they do Duffy.

Here is something reminded us of WDW, we skipped it. We really wanted to see and do local. There are the exceptions. We did 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Soooo glad we did. It was nothing like DH remembered it. In fact it was done totally different. Journey to the Center of the Earth was cool. Indiana Jones was cool. We skipped the "treasure map" thingy. It reminded us of Epcot, but that was not why we skipped it, it was in Japanese. Don't read Japanese But there is a cool place called Mysterious Island, or along those lines, and it is a fun place to explore. Lots of DiVinci science things. School And kids did not know it.

Popcorn Pocorn

We ate more popcorn.

We made our way around to "Water/Futuristic World". We destroyed a Super Typhoon and got DH sick Motion type rides. There were water bumper boats but no one was bumping into each other. It may have been a rule, we did not go over there because I wanted to avoid getting wet. Too cold for that. We made our way down to Americana World and found Duffy.

One note on Duffy. They love Duffy. There are places where you can pose with Duffy and pose your Duffy and take pictures. There were ADULTS walking around with Duffy. They love Duffy.

I had to get Duffy purses for my nieces for Christmas. And DD. And DS. Got him a full Duffy not just the head purse. His looks more like a zipper thingy.

Piece of advice: Walk into said Duffy store knowing exactly what you want, get it and get in line.

That store was sooo crowded The lines..... That is okay, I walked over reached around a lady grabbed what I wanted and got in line.

That was the craziest place, of all the places we had been, that was the worst one.

A friend(Disney addict like me) and I agree, we like the entertainment value in the lines at WDW but would rather stand in line at TDL/DisneySea.

Time to go and make dinner so when my lil jiujitsu man gets home I can feed him and his dad

Chrissy
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #24
downunder
Mouseketeer

what was the temp when you were there? I am scared now!!

Please Read my Trip Report (it is my first one)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1506272
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #25
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
what was the temp when you were there? I am scared now!!
It got into the teens( C ) during the day. Not bad as long as the wind was shining and no wind Single digits at nights.

For me and my family, anything below 78 F is freezing

Chrissy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: