Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Day 4 Lunch at Be Our Guest and Dinner at Cooke's of Dublin

Today was a MK day. Crowds weren't to bad. We stayed in the Fantasyland and Tomorrowland areas and every ride except Under the Sea was a walk on. We had an ADR for Liberty Tree Tavern at the last minute called an audible and went to Be Our Guest instead. We had a 10-15 minute wait and that was mostly due to people trying to figure out the ordering system. You wait in line outside, then they let you in to wait in a second line to get to an ordering machine. As you pass into the ordering room you are given a red plastic puck with a rose embossed on it, the puck as somesort of locator inside of it so they can find your table to deliver your food. I have seen some reports of the ordering process going smoothly but I saw no sign of that LOL. They have 6 ordering station, 2 with a cashier to except cash and 4 that you operate yourself that except credit cards and DDP. I have never seen so many people who had shut their brains off in one place before LOL. To be fair, one of the things you have to do is scan your puck in order to tie it to your order and there is a little Mickey on one side of the puck that has to be placed just right in order for it to scan, but there are no real instructions on how to do that so there is a CM by each machine to guide you through the process. Seems to me that if a CM needs to help each person then that kind of defeats the purpose of self-ordering/payment machines. I was placed at a machine behind a young couple and you would have thought that the fate of the world rested with what this young lady choose for her beverage, she literally started to make a selection 4 different times only to yank her finger back and literally held her palm to her forehead while she rethought her pick. In reality, it didn't really matter because all beverages are self serve anyway, so she could have picked any fountain drink on the machine and then changed her mind at the beverage station LOL. For those of you who are waiting with baited breath...she eventually choose lemonade, the world is still here so apparently her choice was successful LOL.

Both Luanne and I ordered:

IMGP2597 by VikingInMouseEars, on Flickr
Potato Leek Soup

We both enjoyed this, it was very tastly and the leek wasn't overpowering. I prefer larger chucks of potato and this was more of a puree but I would certainly order it again.

For her main course Luanne ordered:

IMGP2596 by VikingInMouseEars, on Flickr
Braised Pork (Coq Au Vin style) - eight-hour slow-cooked pork with mushrooms, onions, carrots and bacon served with mashed potatoes and green beens jardiniere.

She really enjoyed this. The veggies were fully cooked and the pork was nice and tender. She doesn't eat muchrooms so I got the and I agree, it tasted very good.

I ordered:

IMGP2599 by VikingInMouseEars, on Flickr
Grilled Steak Sandwich - with garlic butter spread and pommes frites

The steak was nice and tender and had a nice flavor. The greens were very bitter so I took about half of them off. The fries were typical Disney fries. One thing I think would have made the sandwich better would be to serve it with au jus as there was a lot of bread and even with the garlic butter it was a bit dry.
The cart they bring your food to you on looks like this:

IMGP2602 by VikingInMouseEars, on Flickr

On the whole we were impressed with the quality of the food, particularly for a CS and we will not hesitate to eat there again.

On our way to Under the Sea I stopped at Gaston's Tavern and got a:

IMGP2631 by VikingInMouseEars, on Flickr
LeFou's Brew, Frozen apple juice with a hint of toasted marshmallow and topped with all-natural passion fruit-mango foam.
This was very nice, not to sour, not to sweet. The foam really didn't add anything I felt, but I would certainly order this again.

For dinner we decided to give Cookes of Dublin another chance. For our first 2 or three trips Cookes was a must do for us, then we hit them on a bad night and have since skipped them for the past couple of years. The things I always looked forward to most where the mini battered sausages and the Irish Vintage Cheese and Bacon dip. Well on our last visit I opened my dip which is served hot and found a glob of goo in the center of the container surrounded by a watery liquid. I took it back to the counter and they gave me a different one, I opened it and same thing, took it back again and got another, this one still wasn't perfect but I was able to stir it up so that it was at least eadible. So I dipped one of my battered sausages and took a bite and the sausage was RAW in the middle! Took the whole mess back and got my money returned. So as I said we stopped going for awhile and finally decided that we had loved them so much we would give them another chance. So did they live up to our earlier expectation? Almost LOL

We both ordered the:

IMGP2706 by VikingInMouseEars, on Flickr
The Original One & One - Fish & Chips
The fish was excellent, nice and flakey, all white fish. The batter was totally cooked through and had a nice crispy texture. The reason Cookes only "almost" redeemed themselves was that while the fries were hot and cooked through, they were removed from the fryer a bit to early so they were basically just limp. These are steak fries so they really need to be crispy on the outside while soft on the inside.

I also ordered:

IMGP2708 by VikingInMouseEars, on Flickr
Mini Irish Sausages

Again the fries were a dissapointment, but the battered sausages.... well they were the little battered bits of heaven I remember. Words cannot describe my love for these things, whomever created these little gems of mouth-watering goodness deserves a knighthood.

We both also ordered the:

IMGP2709 by VikingInMouseEars, on Flickr
Irish Vintage Cheese and Bacon Dip

Being a guy, I don't usually use words like devine... and I won't here either, but this stuff is darn good. This has bits of bacon mixed in with the cheese and both the battered sausages and fries are great when dipped in this, in fact, if its dippable it would probably be good dipped in this.

Well that wraps up another tastebud pleasing day at WDW.
Tune in next time when we discover a breakfast roll that puts the MainStreet Bakery cinnimon roll to shame and what kind of special fruit drink our Trails Inn server Donnell mixes for me when he sees all the sausage links I am eating.LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: