Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #76
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,887

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpm View Post
The alien scene used to be a little different. Used to be some sort of an alien come down over your head.
It's still there, and he does move a little again. We rode it this past Nov. and I made certain to note the alien above. It was pretty weak though. It should shoot down farther and be scarier.
__________________
lugnut33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #77
flightdave82
Mouseketeer
 
flightdave82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
It's still there, and he does move a little again. We rode it this past Nov. and I made certain to note the alien above. It was pretty weak though. It should shoot down farther and be scarier.
While I agree with you, the problem is that if they made it "scarier" then you will have all the parents complain and push disney to remove the scene all together just like the did for "alien encounter"

Oh man was that an awesome ride/show. damn parents can't read signs anymore and made disney take it away for the stupid stich escape!
__________________
Future Trips
May 2013: 1st time ever to DL for 5 Days!!

Past Trips
2011: WDW Swan & Dolphin
2007: WDW Marriot Downtown Orlando
1994: WDW Offsite
flightdave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #78
Faldred
DIS Veteran
 
Faldred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,315

For my part, I like the overall idea of GMR, but removing the "interactive" part and replacing the large vehicles with a continuous loading dark ride system, mixed with a general face lift and updating, sound like great ideas to me.
__________________
Life is short. Eat dessert first.

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #79
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland
 
Joanna71985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mickey's backyard (Orlando, FL)
Posts: 13,797

I don't think removing the tour guides is a good idea (because then GMR will be just as bad as Backlot Tour and Living with the Land).
__________________
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #80
rrushford
Earning My Ears
 
rrushford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21

Change it to all Disney movies. First it's a lot easier to make animated characters look real. Second there's plenty of Disney classics (with classic songs) for some main scenes. Third, throw in some characters from lesser movies interacting with each other in between the main scenes. It'd be great each year I go to look for characters from the latest animated film or one long forgotten. Little changes make it more reridable. I know there are classic movie buffs who wouldn't like this but I think there are a lot more Disney film buffs.
rrushford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #81
mixitup1979
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10

I would like a Star Wars section being added..
mixitup1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #82
flightdave82
Mouseketeer
 
flightdave82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrushford View Post
Change it to all Disney movies. First it's a lot easier to make animated characters look real. Second there's plenty of Disney classics (with classic songs) for some main scenes. Third, throw in some characters from lesser movies interacting with each other in between the main scenes. It'd be great each year I go to look for characters from the latest animated film or one long forgotten. Little changes make it more reridable. I know there are classic movie buffs who wouldn't like this but I think there are a lot more Disney film buffs.
I tend to disagree. You have 4 parks all dedicated already to Disney animated films. I like that for this one ride it brings you into the world of different movies. Especially the Alien scene and the Wizard of Oz... I also love watching video montauges (spelled right???). So at the end of the right I like to watch the short video clip
__________________
Future Trips
May 2013: 1st time ever to DL for 5 Days!!

Past Trips
2011: WDW Swan & Dolphin
2007: WDW Marriot Downtown Orlando
1994: WDW Offsite
flightdave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #83
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer
 
disneyworld1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 988 miles away from WDW (TOO FAR!)
Posts: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdave82 View Post
While I agree with you, the problem is that if they made it "scarier" then you will have all the parents complain and push disney to remove the scene all together just like the did for "alien encounter"

Oh man was that an awesome ride/show. damn parents can't read signs anymore and made disney take it away for the stupid stich escape!
I am not saying make it scary or not to but they do have It's Tough to be a Bug at AK and some people complain about it but it's there.

But back to the subject at hand, which I may have posted before on this one, but they could probably change a few sections or just enhance some existing ones with newer technology to make it a little more "cool". I still enjoy it though as it is.
__________________
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #84
flightdave82
Mouseketeer
 
flightdave82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
I am not saying make it scary or not to but they do have It's Tough to be a Bug at AK and some people complain about it but it's there.

But back to the subject at hand, which I may have posted before on this one, but they could probably change a few sections or just enhance some existing ones with newer technology to make it a little more "cool". I still enjoy it though as it is.
Sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you. I'm all in favor of enhancing some areas and making things alittle scarier. I was just pointing out that if they did make it scarier parents will complain.
__________________
Future Trips
May 2013: 1st time ever to DL for 5 Days!!

Past Trips
2011: WDW Swan & Dolphin
2007: WDW Marriot Downtown Orlando
1994: WDW Offsite
flightdave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #85
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer
 
disneyworld1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 988 miles away from WDW (TOO FAR!)
Posts: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdave82 View Post
Sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you. I'm all in favor of enhancing some areas and making things alittle scarier. I was just pointing out that if they did make it scarier parents will complain.
10-4 no problemo
__________________
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #86
RAPstar
Proud Redhead
I remember reading somewhere
Can you blame me tho?
 
RAPstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,843

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see The Muppet Movie Ride Disney had in development before Henson died come to light, either as a replacement or in a new building by the 3-D movie. Hey, a guy can dream right?
RAPstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #87
glvsav37
Mouseketeer
 
glvsav37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: That very long island next to NYC
Posts: 332

I think a lot of GMR is getting outdated. Not that the scenes are not worthy to feature, but they take up sooooo much space, you could really retool that area and get more in per sq/ft.

As others mentioned, new ride vehicles could help enhance the experience. Not sure if it is continuous smaller vehicles or something else, but something that forces you to focus in one direction opens up a lot of real estate to pack more in.

But on to the main focus of GMR overall. I think the film industry as a whole has transformed so much. And when you think of great films like Gone with the wind, alien and even the original Star Wars, they did much "magic" behind the camera to make the film epic. I would love to see a narrative of how MAKING the movie has changed and evolved over time.

For example, starting with a GwtW or Wizard of Oz and show the camera operator on the crane (sorry bit sure what it is called) as part of the overall scene. Showing the creation of it

Move to a Star Wars where model makers are setting up the Death Star model on a green screen and a side area where a screen shows the final shot.

Then we move toward more modern movies where we show animators creating some canned CGI or acting like an Andy Serkis type actor in motion capture suits.

Overall, you could put CM "actors" into each scene to keep the interactive feel of the ride as it is now. Maybe as a director in a classic movie scene, an actor against a green screen in a modern scene.

The ride vehicle could have AV technology in it that helps support the scene, either by showing a final clip o the movie, or illustrating some behind the scenes footage. As well as narrate the story from start to finish.

Just my $0.02.

Edit to say: any time I said gone with the wind, just change it in your mind to read "Casablanca". I always get the 2 confused.
__________________

Last edited by glvsav37; 01-02-2013 at 11:10 AM.
glvsav37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #88
flightdave82
Mouseketeer
 
flightdave82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by glvsav37 View Post
I think a lot of GMR is getting outdated. Not that the scenes are not worthy to feature, but they take up sooooo much space, you could really retool that area and get more in per sq/ft.

As others mentioned, new ride vehicles could help enhance the experience. Not sure if it is continuous smaller vehicles or something else, but something that forces you to focus in one direction opens up a lot of real estate to pack more in.

But on to the main focus of GMR overall. I think the film industry as a whole has transformed so much. And when you think of great films like Gone with the wind, alien and even the original Star Wars, they did much "magic" behind the camera to make the film epic. I would love to see a narrative of how MAKING the movie has changed and evolved over time.

For example, starting with a GwtW or Wizard of Oz and show the camera operator on the crane (sorry bit sure what it is called) as part of the overall scene. Showing the creation of it

Move to a Star Wars where model makers are setting up the Death Star model on a green screen and a side area where a screen shows the final shot.

Then we move toward more modern movies where we show animators creating some canned CGI or acting like an Andy Serkis type actor in motion capture suits.

Overall, you could put CM "actors" into each scene to keep the interactive feel of the ride as it is now. Maybe as a director in a classic movie scene, an actor against a green screen in a modern scene.

The ride vehicle could have AV technology in it that helps support the scene, either by showing a final clip o the movie, or illustrating some behind the scenes footage. As well as narrate the story from start to finish.

Just my $0.02.

Edit to say: any time I said gone with the wind, just change it in your mind to read "Casablanca". I always get the 2 confused.
hmmm you have a good idea for a ride. However (and my opinion only) is that your idea to me would make it feel like a "universal studios ride". It actually reminds me of the Earthquake ride. Before the main experience guests walk through and watch how they shot several of the scenes in the movie. They show you the scale models they used in the movie (just like how star wars would be according to your plan) and several guests get to actually be stars in the scenes. They even have some guests stand in front of a green screen where they throw in some GCI on the monitor.

just my 2c
__________________
Future Trips
May 2013: 1st time ever to DL for 5 Days!!

Past Trips
2011: WDW Swan & Dolphin
2007: WDW Marriot Downtown Orlando
1994: WDW Offsite
flightdave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #89
zpbarn01
Earning My Ears
 
zpbarn01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 68

100% agree about Star Wars. A quick refurb until they can build a land devoted to the franchise. Capitalize on the upcoming new movies. I'd also like to see Avengers. Older films I would say Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. There is some nostalgia for that movie in the Studios.
zpbarn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #90
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.
 
Friendly Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,562

I am all for getting rid of the current tour guide changing bit. I think it distracts from the rest of the ride.

It is not a problem with me if the changes are more like the Universal Disaster attraction. I love that ride and the Musion Eyeliner technology is great! ( Same thing Disney uses now in the Legend of Captain Jack attraction.)

I would like to see more interactive stuff in the Studios like Green Screens that put you in your favorite movie. Even turning the Great Movie Ride set into an interactive walk through for photo ops would be cool.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.