Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #16
navysaylorgirl
Earning My Ears

Lion King. The building was originally an open-air theater, and constructed quickly when AK needed something as a placeholder while they decided what to do with Beastly Kingdom because Universal had unveiled something too similar. Now that we are getting Avatarland (cool, but I still want a Beastly Kingdom, with dragons and unicorns (Like in the parking lot)) Camp M/M will likely disappear in its entirety. All those buildings were done quickly and cheaply. Just look at the sinks in the rest rooms.
(now part of Disney's Port Orleans Resort complex)
1994-off property
1997-Disney's All-Star Music Resort
2000-off property
2001 (Thanksgiving)-Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
2002-off property
2007 (Memorial Day)-off property
2011-Pop Century, 50s Bldg. 3
2011 (Thanksgiving)- All-Star Movie, Fantasia Bldg. 8
2012-Art of Animation, Nemo, Bldg. 4
2012 (Christmas)-Port Orleans French Quarter
navysaylorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
always on vacation
Mouseketeer

I have been to disney 20+ times so I feel really stupid asking this qustion BUT..what is COP?

I think the Tiki Birds could go but then I've thought that for years!
always on vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
ClemsonSoccer9
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by always on vacation View Post
I have been to disney 20+ times so I feel really stupid asking this qustion BUT..what is COP?

Carousel of Progress
ClemsonSoccer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFloridian99 View Post
Currently rumored for the chopping block:

MK:

Nothing ATM

Epcot:

Nothing ATM, though Imagination might be changing

DHS:

BATB (rumored to be replaced with Tangled)
VOTLM (rumored to be replaced with Phineas and Ferb)
IJ (rumored to be replaced with Indiana Jones Adventure or a Star Wars attraction)
American Idol (if Star Wars land happens, this will go)
LMA (rumored to be replaced with Radiator Springs Racers)
Backlot Tour (rumored to be replaced with Radiator Springs Racers and Monsters Inc Coaster)

AK:

Camp Minnie Mickey (Avatar)
Of course the Main Street Bakery is going but that's a whole nother thread of about 10,000 replies

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #20
NurseAllen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoogala View Post
voyage of the little mermaid is rumored to be closing as well.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
NurseAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
GimmeMoreMagic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseAllen View Post
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
i concor.

GimmeMoreMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
xerotheory7803
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna319 View Post
I also think Indiana jones is on its way out.
Indiana Jones isn't going anywhere just yet. It's still a solid draw, even in slower times of year.

Disney Cast Member since 2012.

7.91 Offsite // 8.95 AS Sports // 8.96 Offsite // 8.99 Dixie Landing
8.00 Dixie Landing // 4.01 Offsite // 7.02 Offsite // 7.06 AS Music // 5.07 Offsite
7.07 AS Music // 1.08 Offsite // 7.08 Offsite // 3.09 AS Movies // 9.09 Pop Century
3.10 AS Sports // 8.10 Pop Century // 1.11 AS Sports // 3.11 Pop Century // 5.11 Coronado Springs // 9.11 Pop Century & Boardwalk
xerotheory7803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
Skooch
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by always on vacation View Post

Why would you want to see the Tiki Room go? The older attractions like that are what make Disney World worthwhile. If they replace all of the old stuff with new stuff it will really take away the Magic that is Disney World.

As much as I like progress in animation and such, newer shows tend to be bleak and sarcastic.. they try too hard. There is magic in simplicity so for me, the Jungle Cruise and the Haunted Mansion and the Tiki Room and so many other classic rides are the reason that I love vacationing in WDW so much. Avatar Land seems like a horrible and very late idea. I do look forward to some more Star Wars and the hope of Cars Land and Monsters Inc making an appearance (especially if it means getting rid of American Idle) It would also be nice to put figment back to the way that is was and perhaps give a subtle and respectful update to Carousel of Progress.

DIS Dad's Club Member #391

""A man should never neglect his family for business." - Walt Disney
Skooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #24
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooch View Post
Why would you want to see the Tiki Room go? The older attractions like that are what make Disney World worthwhile. If they replace all of the old stuff with new stuff it will really take away the Magic that is Disney World.

As much as I like progress in animation and such, newer shows tend to be bleak and sarcastic.. they try too hard. There is magic in simplicity so for me, the Jungle Cruise and the Haunted Mansion and the Tiki Room and so many other classic rides are the reason that I love vacationing in WDW so much. Avatar Land seems like a horrible and very late idea. I do look forward to some more Star Wars and the hope of Cars Land and Monsters Inc making an appearance (especially if it means getting rid of American Idle) It would also be nice to put figment back to the way that is was and perhaps give a subtle and respectful update to Carousel of Progress.
I've always thought CoP should have the first few rooms, describing our history, left alone, original animatronics and all, while the last room should be updated every couple of years to the max and show newer and newer 'future' stuff, including updated animatronics (like Sparrow in PotC) or even holograms (like Sparrow in the new DHS attraction, or Christopher Walken in the Disaster attraction at Universal). It would be a way to maintain a large portion of the classic element of the ride while once in a while giving it a new breath of air.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa7287 View Post
I've always thought CoP should have the first few rooms, describing our history, left alone, original animatronics and all, while the last room should be updated every couple of years to the max and show newer and newer 'future' stuff, including updated animatronics (like Sparrow in PotC) or even holograms (like Sparrow in the new DHS attraction, or Christopher Walken in the Disaster attraction at Universal). It would be a way to maintain a large portion of the classic element of the ride while once in a while giving it a new breath of air.
Yea, Disney can't destroy the Classics! Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, etc, shouldn't go anywhere, I can see CoP getting chopped. I like your idea, have the first half the "original" and then make the latter rooms very futuristic. And like PotC, freshening up the classics right will help and it works.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #26
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

Ugh I hope Beauty & The Beast isn't replaced with a Tangled show...I really didn't care for that movie! What about a Princess & the Frog? That was way more adorable out of the two - with much better music, too!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaPolynesian View Post
Ugh I hope Beauty & The Beast isn't replaced with a Tangled show...I really didn't care for that movie! What about a Princess & the Frog? That was way more adorable out of the two - with much better music, too!
I LOVED Tangled. It would be a great change! Princess and the Frog was cute but hasn't been nearly as popular and I know many people that found it too scary and didn't like the VooDoo element
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #28
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

I'm not entirely sure that Princess and the Frog is as unloved as people think. The most common costume I saw Halloween night at the parks besides Jack Skellington was Facilier, the bad guy from this film. Probably saw at least a dozen of him. He was also featured in a lot of the night time shows now with his song Friends on the Other Side. I'd almost argue that he's more popular than Tiana.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #29
webcs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by margev6 View Post
They are always threateneing to close CoP but it is one of our families favorites! when my son was five he swore the man was real!
I am pretty sure that they leave this open as a tribute to Walt and I think they will continue to as the space it takes up is so small. It really is a miracle of planning.

They really should update the last scene though.
webcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #30
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Just dropping in to express my love for COP.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: