Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
bellyxray
Earning My Ears

Do I really need ADR's?

Trip is Jan31-Feb7, so as I understand not a terribly busy time at WDW, do i really need to make alot of ADR's? We aren't planning on any character meals or anything of that sort. I'm just wondering if I need them in order to get into the TS places on the Dining plan?

Been to WDW plenty of times, but this is all kinda new to me, this planing of where to eat. I'm not even sure I would be able to get many ADR's this late in the game, and I also don't have a real game plan yet of which parks I'm visiting on which days.
bellyxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Miniefan
DIS Veteran

If there are any places you have your heart set on I would at least make reservations for those. I have really never had good luck just walking up and checking on a table, but then again I usually go in a more crowded season.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

Well if you are on the dining plan and want to eat a table service once a day, then yes I would. It seems to me that if you are on the plan and went without any reservations and then was not able to get into any table service restaurant, you would be wasting a heck of a lot of money.

I would make them.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
mommadjones
Mouseketeer

Well I think if you don't care where you eat then you shouldn't have a problem. The more popular restaurants will be booked though. Good Luck!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
bellyxray
Earning My Ears

Should I make them at places that aren't "technically" on the plan as of yet? There are places that are on it for 2012, but not for 2013, because as I understand it, they may not have renewed contracts yet. Should I assume they will?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

We have been going early to mid February, before the Presidents Day rush. I would make ADR's. Some places are already pretty booked up - 'Ohana, 1900 Park Faire, Crystal Palace, etc. I believe the later you want to eat dinner, the more times are booked so you may have better luck eating an earlier dinner if you want to walk up to some place. You will be fine walking up to some places early, but I would rather be safe than sorry. We usually eat an early dinner by 4:30 or 5pm and some places were pretty empty last year, but some were pretty packed. I also made my ressies for places not yet on the list that I know I want to eat at, such as Raglan Road in DD.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
bellyxray
Earning My Ears

I'm not sure what to do. I have to pay for my entire trip by Dec 17th, but if half these rest. aren't going to be on the dining plan, and I make ressies, then I'm stuck with a dining plan with crap restaurants and ressies at places not on the plan!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyxray View Post
I'm not sure what to do. I have to pay for my entire trip by Dec 17th, but if half these rest. aren't going to be on the dining plan, and I make ressies, then I'm stuck with a dining plan with crap restaurants and ressies at places not on the plan!
It's fairly safe to assume that the restaurants that are on the DDP this year will also be on the DDP next year. The situation with the non-Disney owned restaurants signing their contracts later is one that occurs every year. I haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that any are leaving WDW in the near future.

As for the need for ADRs during a low crowd period- yes they are still necessary because this is precisely the time periods when they have free dining. So LOTS of folks with TS credits to use up = heavy booking for most of the restaurants.

Last edited by minnie mum; 11-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
delilah
DIS Veteran

I would make the reservations. We were once in the situation where we were at Epcot, and there were no table service reservations anywhere that day,from about 2 pm (when we checked) until closing. This was during the week after Memorial Day (not on Memorial Day). I also had the unusual experience this past summer (in July) when for some reason, they were needing to close Liberty Tree Tavern early (don't remember why), and we had the last reservation of the evening. Unfortunately, we were all at the park, and they left a message on my phone. Fortunately, we were at Magic Kingdom that day, and was able to walk up, and get seated immediately.
delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Trip is Jan31-Feb7, so as I understand not a terribly busy time at WDW, do i really need to make alot of ADR's? We aren't planning on any character meals or anything of that sort. I'm just wondering if I need them in order to get into the TS places on the Dining plan?

Been to WDW plenty of times, but this is all kinda new to me, this planing of where to eat. I'm not even sure I would be able to get many ADR's this late in the game, and I also don't have a real game plan yet of which parks I'm visiting on which days.
If you don't mind eating early and possibly waiting about 20 to 30 minutes, you'll be fine.. I wouldn't worry about it..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
ahutton
WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996

Part also depends on your group size. DH and I have a getaway planned for just us. We made a ressie for one meal we wanted in a particular place at a specific time. We are otherwise going to wing it, with some flexibility we will be fine.

Proud Second Generation SwanDolphin Cheerleader
ahutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

You can find places to eat... but it might not be when you want, where you want, or without a wait. So you have to decide what is more important to you.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

I guess it depends on how many people in your party and if there are any must do places on your list.

My DH isnt a fan of being tied down to ADRs, we did a full week in WDW in May without one reservation and we were able to walk up to anyplace we wanted (except Teppan Edo) and that includes Cali Grill!

Last month he scored us a walk up for dinner at Le Cellier...after that luck I promised him no more reservations lol
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Should I make them at places that aren't "technically" on the plan as of yet? There are places that are on it for 2012, but not for 2013, because as I understand it, they may not have renewed contracts yet. Should I assume they will?
Most restaurants will probably carry over. How many are in your party? If it is the two of you and you like to eat around 5:00 PM, then shouldn't be much problem. You could always ask at the concierge desk each day what restaurant was available and just take what you can get. It may be dining at resorts and a lot of transportation time.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

I made an ADR for Plaza on February 2nd (Saturday understandably) for Lunch today and my TA got me an 11:20 AM for a solo. That was all that was available for Lunch. If it's a busy time, popular time (you must eat at 6 PM) or just a smaller TS (like Plaza), I would get a reservation.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: