DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Boardwalk529
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 102

PLEASE HELP with banking points!

hi, everyone. I am a new member (5/12) and am still trying to learn how things work. I had a vacation booked for January 2013 in which I used the remainder of my 2012 pts and borrowed some from 2013 to complete (I have a March use year). I somehow just learned after cancelling 2 nights that the points were returned to my 2012 year, and it's too late to bank these points (it says I can bank 0%). Now, since March is my use year, do I have to book a vacation with these points by March for them to not go to waste, or do I have to COMPLETE A VACATION with these points by March? I really hope this makes sense. I thought it would be too confusing to discuss over the phone. Please help! I'm hoping I don't have to travel a second time by March!
Boardwalk529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
drusba

DIS Veteran
 
drusba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,234

You need to complete a vacation on or before February 28, 2013. Note, that DVD has in the past allowed a once-in-your-life banking that is outside of allowed deadline, particularly for new owners who may not have been that familiar with rules; DVD is not required to do that but members have reported being able to do so in the past through Member Services.
__________________
Everything has to have a beginning and an end ... but it is not necessary to have a purpose in between.
drusba is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
rwcmath
DIS Veteran
 
rwcmath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,344

We have a March UY. Any points left in the 2012 UY have to be USED before March 1, 2013. That's not what you wanted to hear, I know. MS has been known to give a 1 time special to each membership when it you are allowed to do something not normally allowed. I don't know if you have enough points at risk to ask for one of these special cases.
__________________
rwcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk529 View Post
hi, everyone. I am a new member (5/12) and am still trying to learn how things work. I had a vacation booked for January 2013 in which I used the remainder of my 2012 pts and borrowed some from 2013 to complete (I have a March use year). I somehow just learned after cancelling 2 nights that the points were returned to my 2012 year, and it's too late to bank these points (it says I can bank 0%). Now, since March is my use year, do I have to book a vacation with these points by March for them to not go to waste, or do I have to COMPLETE A VACATION with these points by March? I really hope this makes sense. I thought it would be too confusing to discuss over the phone. Please help! I'm hoping I don't have to travel a second time by March!
Pretty sure you have to use these points by March 1. That means you would have to complete a vacation by then. You could call MS and explain your situation and hope they grant you an exception for banking if you can't travel before then. It depends on who you talk to, some CMs are more lenient than others, sometimes they get a supervisor to make an exception.

Good luck!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Boardwalk529
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 102

ughh that is DEFINITELY not what I wanted to hear. We'd be losing 33 points, which doesn't sound like a lot, but our contract is only 100. And I really don't want to fly down there twice in a 3 month period. I'll call and hope that they make an exception
Boardwalk529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Boardwalk529
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 102

Good news...they let me bank them still! I was so relieved. The CM I spoke to was so nice about it and extremely helpful. I contacted a manager after to give a good word for him. Now I just have to study the rules a little more so this doesn't happen again!
Boardwalk529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 58,399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk529 View Post
Good news...they let me bank them still! I was so relieved. The CM I spoke to was so nice about it and extremely helpful. I contacted a manager after to give a good word for him. Now I just have to study the rules a little more so this doesn't happen again!
Great!
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk529 View Post
Good news...they let me bank them still! I was so relieved. The CM I spoke to was so nice about it and extremely helpful. I contacted a manager after to give a good word for him. Now I just have to study the rules a little more so this doesn't happen again!
Wonderful news!! It would just make me sick to lose even 1 point but to lose 33 would be horrible. Glad you called!!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk529 View Post
Good news...they let me bank them still! I was so relieved. The CM I spoke to was so nice about it and extremely helpful. I contacted a manager after to give a good word for him. Now I just have to study the rules a little more so this doesn't happen again!
Sounds good. But you probably used your once in a lifetime get out of jail free card on those 33 points. Be real careful in the future.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
moose615
DIS Veteran
 
moose615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hendersonville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,008

Sorry disregard
__________________

Last edited by moose615; 11-27-2012 at 12:35 PM.
moose615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Sounds good. But you probably used your once in a lifetime get out of jail free card on those 33 points. Be real careful in the future.
Agree. Personally I would have thought twice about using the once-in-a-lifetime exception on 33 points. Other alternatives would include changing the reservation to a more expensive resort, a more expensive view, larger room, renting the points, gifting them to a friend, etc.

Make sure you brush-up on the rules or it may be more than 33 points lost next time. Don't count on any Disney "pixie dust" to fix a future problem. Aside from this once-in-a-lifetime exception, Disney typically adheres rigidly to the DVC point management rules. They won't even bend the rules for an unexpected injury, illness or death in the family.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Boardwalk529
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Agree. Personally I would have thought twice about using the once-in-a-lifetime exception on 33 points. Other alternatives would include changing the reservation to a more expensive resort, a more expensive view, larger room, renting the points, gifting them to a friend, etc.

Make sure you brush-up on the rules or it may be more than 33 points lost next time. Don't count on any Disney "pixie dust" to fix a future problem. Aside from this once-in-a-lifetime exception, Disney typically adheres rigidly to the DVC point management rules. They won't even bend the rules for an unexpected injury, illness or death in the family.
I see where you're coming from, but I'm still glad I did it. 33 points doesn't sound like a lot, but it's 1/3 of my contract. Our flights were already booked so I couldn't extended the trip, and there was no upgrading because we already had a boardwalk view. Also, the CM I spoke to made it seem like they don't always do this for people. I got the feeling that they only are mostly open to doing it for new members. Maybe this is a change, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
Boardwalk529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel
 
CarolAnnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 13,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk529 View Post
I see where you're coming from, but I'm still glad I did it. 33 points doesn't sound like a lot, but it's 1/3 of my contract. Our flights were already booked so I couldn't extended the trip, and there was no upgrading because we already had a boardwalk view. Also, the CM I spoke to made it seem like they don't always do this for people. I got the feeling that they only are mostly open to doing it for new members. Maybe this is a change, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
Like others stated above they will do this for you one time only whether you are a new member, or member of many years. It is commonly called "once in a lifetime exemption" and unfortunately, you will not get another one for any circumstance again.

Glad you are happy with how things turned out. Enjoy your trip!
__________________
CarolAnnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Boardwalk529
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 102

Actually, if anyone reads this and can help, I'd really appreciate it. I just read over the guidelines, and I'm confused as to why I was unable to bank ANY of my points. Going by this guideline on ***********, with a March use year the deadlines are:


August 31: 100%


November 30: 50%


December 31: 25%


Jan. 1 – Feb. 28* 0%

So with it being November still, why was I unable to bank any? It should've been 50%, correct?
Boardwalk529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 388

I am not sure where you got your information (it could be outdated). If you go onto the membership site under MY MEMBERSHIP then ACCOUNT HELP then BANKING DEADLINE you will see a link to a chart that shows when the banking deadline is. For March use year it is October 31st 2012.

I tried to copy and paste the chart but could not.
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.