Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #31
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
We flew SWA from Orlando this morning and I saw yet another variation on the family boarding process.

Gate agent said since there were already 50+ passengers onboard (8:30am flight!) that he would allow family boarding for one parent with a child up to 9. He was very strict about the other parents and older children boarding with their BP number but wanted to avoid the "last minute scramble" as it was a full flight.

We did use EBCI and had A boarding passes so we quickly found a row of 3 and got out of the way so I didn't actually see the family boarding.

Now - amoung the last passengers to board - well to the end of the C's were a family with two small children (definately under 4). The FA's did have too offer out a free drink to get them seated together but it didn't take to long.

Personally this bothers me the most - if you have kids and want to sit together on SW at least take advantage of family boarding if you can and don't make others move because you are late to the gate !!
Maybe they came off a connecting flight?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #32
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Maybe they came off a connecting flight?
The were at the gate before we started lining up -

but yes I see your point and there are times when passengers are held up and can't board on time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Now - among the last passengers to board - well to the end of the C's were a family with two small children (definately under 4).
They may have been non-revs who aren't issued boarding passes until the Gate Agent knows for certain that there will be seats available.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #34
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

But my understanding is nonrevs take the seats that are available, even young ones. No paying passenger is expected to move.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #35
sommergirl25
Mouseketeer

I will be flying non revs in few months. Do you really think it is ok for young children to sit wherever is available just because they didn't pay for the seat? My 2 year old will not be sitting by himself and I wouldn't let my 6 year old sit alone either. I don't understand how moving to another seat hurts anyone. My husband and I are prepared to have to split up but the kids will be seated next to one of us. It will be their first time flying, it will be for their protection, an the sanity of everyone else around.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #36
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommergirl25
I will be flying non revs in few months. Do you really think it is ok for young children to sit wherever is available just because they didn't pay for the seat? My 2 year old will not be sitting by himself and I wouldn't let my 6 year old sit alone either. I don't understand how moving to another seat hurts anyone. My husband and I are prepared to have to split up but the kids will be seated next to one of us. It will be their first time flying, it will be for their protection, an the sanity of everyone else around.
Is it okay? Well, if you don't think it's okay then I would say that your better bet would be to buy tickets and purchase EBCI. That way you will be certain to have seats by your child(ren). I don't get what makes a parent think that someone else who PAID for their ticket should be expected to give up a more desirable window or isle seat and take a middle seat because that's what would need to happen. Now if someone WANTS to give up their seat, so be it. But this should not be a forced situation. You can easily solve this problem by buying tickets & EBCI.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #37
sommergirl25
Mouseketeer

I never said to force someone. If flying alone, I would move around to accommodate families, paid or not. I would imagine that there are other people that would as well. There is no way I would break up a young child from their parent just because I paid for my seat. No one knows who did and didn't pay for their flight.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
have to ask...did you check in at the same time as your dh and older ds??? If so, why didn't you also have A boarding group? Or did you somehow just get split up?
Most here would have suggested that your dh and older ds go back to the B group with you vs you and younger ds moving ahead to the A group.
I have gotten split up like that when checking in my family as perfectly as possible.

And the ones who got the later A number simply got in line with the early B passes. That's the only way that feels right to me.

I actually think it was on a flight with just me and DS. We just got into the Bs where the B boarding pass put us.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #39
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommergirl25
I never said to force someone. If flying alone, I would move around to accommodate families, paid or not. I would imagine that there are other people that would as well. There is no way I would break up a young child from their parent just because I paid for my seat. No one knows who did and didn't pay for their flight.
You asked a question and I answered with MY honest opinion. Just because you don't care for my opinion don't mean you have to get so defensive. I never said you were going to ask that people be forced to move to accomodate you or another parent/child from being separated. I just stated how you could avoid the problem altogether.
Personally, call me rude, but even if I were travelling alone I wouldn't be giving up my window seat or isle seat. I choose my seat for a very specific reason and if I am on one side of the plane, I choose the isle seat and if on the other, then the window seat it is. I have yet to sit in the middle seat unless it was between family members and they are aware of my medical situation. But even if it were not for my need, I don't know that I would be so quick to give my seat up as I think this comes back to an issue of personal responsibility and if you are flying on a ticket that lets you on the flight based on availability at the end...Well, you get what you get.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #40
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommergirl25 View Post
In our case people did move - I was sitting with my kids so I didn't offer.

The issue at least for me is that I plan in advance and do everything in my power to be seated with my kids, others plan for medical needs, allergies etc. Then folks who don't expect others to accomodate them - and fwiw I have moved in the past when traveling solo or with my older dd.

It doesn't matter what I think but I personally don't think it is reasonable to expect a 2yo to sit alone - however a 6 year old should be ok - ideal no but ok yes. And no matter what I think the FA's will work pretty hard to get child preschool age or younger seated with a parent. With school age children it varies and as I mentioned in my op they exteneded family boarding to 9 and under on our flight yesterday.

If you are flying non rev you should plan for the possibility - I would double check all the restrictions on your tickets so you can be prepared and prepare the 6yo. Hopefully you will find a less full flight and sit together or at least 2 and 2 !

Last edited by tjmw2727; 11-26-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #41
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
So, here's the issue. Perhaps there are those who paid full fare for their seats, in addition to EBCI..so they would be able to get the seats they needed/wanted. Or, even those who paid the wanna get away fares, but also paid for EBCI so as to be able to sit with their child.
I can't understand why anyone would think that anyone else should be asked to move in order to make them more comfortable. If you want to be as sure as you can be about sitting with your child, you need to take responsibility yourself. You should never leave it up to the charity of strangers.

And yes, I truly think that someone who has not paid for their flight shouldn't expect paying fliers to give up their chosen seats. I think that everyone should make choices that work for their family, on each individual situation. I have always taken responsibility for my family.....I will not change seats with someone else, and be seated apart from my family, in order for someone else to be seated with their family. I just don't get that mentality.

I guess that there are going to be times that individual fliers may very well opt for changing seats. But here's the rub...my dh will almost always try to move to enable a family to sit together. BUT..he has to have an aisle seat. So unless you find a bunch of people, all willing to shuffle their seats around, and allow my dh to have an aisle seat, it isn't going to happen. And it's pretty much those solo travelers that you have to rely on in order to get seats together!!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #42
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Then, respectfully, you need to purchase tickets. Non rev air passage comes with restrictions including, again, you board last - and only after everyone else waiting for that flight (including standby) is aboard. You may not even all get on the same plane.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #43
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
If it is such a huge deal for you to be seated by your children, then you should pay for your seats and not expect others to switch for you. Because that is what you are doing. You are expecting them to switch. What will happen if no one does? You need to take personal responsibility.

I wouldn't switch for you and neither would my flying companion. We pick/pay for our seats for a reason (which I will not get into here because it is personal). I wouldn't be rude about it but I would be telling you "Sorry, but we can't."

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #44
sommergirl25
Mouseketeer

I am stepping away from this. I am not a confrontational person and was afraid of the response I would get from asking that question. I'm not good at message boards and take things too personally. I have loved the DIS for the great info. I would never expect for someone to give me their seat. Out of the goodness of someone, we are able to make this trip using the non-revs ticket. I am blessed and lucky to be making it. We are going to try everything possible to be on a flight that we would not have this situation. I am just praying that if we were caught in this situation, that someone, out of the goodness of their heart would help us out. We will deal with what we get. Have a great day.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #45
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I am usually a solo traveler and always get a window seat, due to my claustrophobia. I pay whatever I have to pay to get my seat and I am not moving for anyone, even though I am alone.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: