Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #3826
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber

I finished my 5K in exactly 36 minutes, which was a pr for me. Man, I run slowly!

I compared the distance my phone calculated vs the markers and it was about .15 off for the total. Not bad, considering it was super crowded, so I was zigging and zagging and often required to take the outside lane around the many right-angle turns in the course.

But the difference made me wonder how off my training has been. SO, I went home and bit the bullet and ordered my Forerunner 10! I don't need anything too fancy. Anyone else use the Forerunner 10? Any tips or advice?
I use the 10 as well. So far it seems to be working well! My phone app was off as well, particularly on long runs. I usually run with both now and on a 9 mile run my Nike said I had run over 10! I was totally under training in the past. I suspected it, but the 10 is proving it

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #3827
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
I finished my 5K in exactly 36 minutes, which was a pr for me. Man, I run slowly!

I compared the distance my phone calculated vs the markers and it was about .15 off for the total. Not bad, considering it was super crowded, so I was zigging and zagging and often required to take the outside lane around the many right-angle turns in the course.

But the difference made me wonder how off my training has been. SO, I went home and bit the bullet and ordered my Forerunner 10! I don't need anything too fancy. Anyone else use the Forerunner 10? Any tips or advice?

36 minutes is a great time! Congrats! Love my Forerunner 10 - used it at my race today and it was accurate.

Quote:
This is a general race etiquette question, as I have only run a couple of races. Is it not standard practice for walkers (not run/walkers) to start at the back of the pack, so to speak? Several times at the very beginning of the race today I was faced with a wall of walkers that I had to try to navigate around. And I mean in the first .10 of a mile.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was polite (and safer) to line up according to speed. So I started near the middle of the pack. Is that how it's done in the well run races (I don't think mine was particularly well run)? If it's assumed to be a free-for-all, then I'm going to need to get ahead of the walkers! As it was it took 3 minutes to reach the starting line after the race officially "started."
Yes - that is correct. However, some people just flat out don't adhere to that. I've also noticed a shift in etiquett in something else at more and more races - interval runners on the outside and "straight" runners down the middle. More and more, I am seeing faster runners darting to the outside to get around everyone else. That makes it harder for those of us who take walk breaks to safely get over and keep others safe while we are walking.

Had a great Gobble Jog 10K today! While not a PR, I did a lot better than I thought I would. My training has not been that disciplined and my shin has been REALLY sore - to the point that I was worried about a stress fracture. Turns out, I had a great run and came in at 1:01:23. The weather was beautiful and the shin didn't hurt during the run or even now. This is the 2nd time I've run this one and my favorite spectators were out again - an older couple who sit on their front porch. The man plays the tuba and the woman yells "CHARGE"! It's a hoot.

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #3828
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
I'm visiting the parentals today and was planning to run this morning. As I was getting ready to head out I realized that I forgot to pack my running pants. So what's a Princess to do? Run in her pajama pants of course! Lol
I love it!!!!!

Quote:
This is a general race etiquette question, as I have only run a couple of races. Is it not standard practice for walkers (not run/walkers) to start at the back of the pack, so to speak? Several times at the very beginning of the race today I was faced with a wall of walkers that I had to try to navigate around. And I mean in the first .10 of a mile.
It is proper race etiquette but there are definitely those who don't follow it. It makes it harder and less safe because you are bobbing and weaving around obstacles. I hate when races don't mane an announcement asking people to observe that courtesy.

Great job to all you turkey trotters and ladies hitting PRs today!!! Woo!!!!

I am so wishing I could run. I feel like a turkey -- fully stuffed!! Maybe another week of PT and he'll let me.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #3829
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post
I did my first race ever today. A 5k. I finished at 36:51 and GPS said 3.15 so my pace was 11:45. It's my longest run in months!

Hope all the other racers had fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Hey princesses! Happy thanksgiving!!!

Finished my first 10k today. 1:08:20. I wanted to stay under an hour 10. I can't believe I did it!!! It also was about 75 out. It felt like 90! I bet if it were cooler I could've shaved a few mins regardless I am so happy!

Hope all of you who participated in a turkey trot did wonderfully! Now go reward yourselves with turkey and pie. We deserve it! Xo

-Beth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
I did a turkey trot this morning. PR of 37:45. I was so trying to get under 38. There were over 600 runners. Absolutely crazy and wonderful all at the same time. Btw. DD finished 30:30.
Quote:

I thought I had read somewhere that it was polite (and safer) to line up according to speed. So I started near the middle of the pack. Is that how it's done in the well run races (I don't think mine was particularly well run)? If it's assumed to be a free-for-all, then I'm going to need to get ahead of the walkers! As it was it took 3 minutes to reach the starting line after the race officially "started."
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
36 minutes is a great time! Congrats! Love my Forerunner 10 - used it at my race today and it was accurate.

Yes - that is correct. However, some people just flat out don't adhere to that. I've also noticed a shift in etiquett in something else at more and more races - interval runners on the outside and "straight" runners down the middle. More and more, I am seeing faster runners darting to the outside to get around everyone else. That makes it harder for those of us who take walk breaks to safely get over and keep others safe while we are walking.

Had a great Gobble Jog 10K today! While not a PR, I did a lot better than I thought I would. My training has not been that disciplined and my shin has been REALLY sore - to the point that I was worried about a stress fracture. Turns out, I had a great run and came in at 1:01:23. The weather was beautiful and the shin didn't hurt during the run or even now. This is the 2nd time I've run this one and my favorite spectators were out again - an older couple who sit on their front porch. The man plays the tuba and the woman yells "CHARGE"! It's a hoot.
GREAT times fellow Princess ! You guys totally blow away my times of12:45 I'm not worthy

On the subject of me being slow...I totally start in the back of the race pack...I know my pace so I'm not going to toe the line. Running is much like snow skiing...stay to the side so the fast people can swoosh quickly down the slopes ( yup, had the ski patrol at park city tell me to slow down !)
Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #3830
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

I did a Turkey Trot this morning (in my awesome orange Sparkle Skirt, got lots of compliments) and finished in 27:22 my PR AND beat my Cross Country PR from the early 90s!!!

Hubby did the 10k in 49 min. He's crazy!!!
1986-1st trip~5/2006-Animal Kingdom~6/2008-Beach Club~10/2009-Contemporary~2/2010-Pop Century~6/2010-Star Wars Weekend French Quarter~12/2010-Marco Island~12/2011-Riverside~8/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek~9/2012-Caribbean~10/2012-Hilton Downtown Disney~2/2013-Princess Half Marathon Hilton Bonnet Creek
Old 11-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #3831
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yeah I thought that was the general rule also.

I ran a turkeytrot today that started the 10K first in 2 "waves". I'm a slow run/walker so moved to the back of the second wave. They waited 5 minutes between each wave so not bad.

BUT they sent the 5K walkers off 15 mins after the 2nd wave of 10K runners all in one big bunch and then 5 mins later sent off the 5K runners.

DH was a 5K walker and he said there was quite a bit of shouting for the walkers to "move to the right" and he said it was comical to see what people thought "right" was.

And the other big clunk was that the 10K was twice around the 5K course. I know this course was not the one they really wanted to do and they were required to change it just last week to make the city planners and police happy.

BUT I made it in 1:21:48 so quite happy about that.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #3832
Orcagirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
As others have mentioned, yes, walkers should start after the runners. Not sure if it's a regional thing, but around my area, race etiquette also calls for walkers and slow runners to keep to the right, with faster runners to the left once out on the course. Of course, lots of people either ignore it or just aren't aware... (usually the same people who walk three- or four-people side-by-side-by-side-by-side and block the entire width of the route).

I'm trying (and failing) to be all zen about it, and just focus on running my own race, but always have a little voice in my head screaming "Get out of my way!!"

Erin
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: