Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
neuend1
Mouseketeer

Walk from Boardwalk to Swan - have mobility issues

I am wondering what the walk is like from the Boardwalk to Swan (and how many minutes) ? I have mobility issues and use a walker. I can walk but not very far due to arthritis and knee problems (I am 70 yrs old). I won't have an ECV and won't be renting one just for this dinner at the Swan.

So what is the walk like and how long is it from the Boardwalk to the Swan?
neuend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

The Swan and Boardwalk are sort of next to each other, separated by the waterway that goes to Hollywood Studios. How long the walk is really depends on where at the Boardwalk you start out at. You might want to consider taking the boat which goes from the Boardwalk to the Yacht Club/Beach Club, and then to the Swan/Dolphin (if I am remembering the order of stops correctly). That could cut down on the amount of walking required.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

As I remember it the walk was longer than it looked. You could easily take the boat though which is what we did for epcot, dhs, etc usually because my dad was in a wheelchair.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
tinka-belle
DIS Veteran

The walk is longer than it looks because the paved walkway sort of zigs and zags back and forth, not in a straight line at all. The suggestion to take the boat is a good one!
tinka-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I agree.
Take the boat.
Besides the walk to just get from one resort to the other, you LSO have to consider the walk to get from the walkway to the actual resort entrance.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
neuend1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info

Thanks. I never thought of the extra walk. If I remember correctly the Garden Grove restaurant at the Swan is much closer to the back door and the boat landing than it is to the front door. I will just have to allow for the extra boat time to be sure I get to my 5pm reservation.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

I would consider a scooter. The walk from the Boardwalk to the boat can be long depending on where in the BW your room is. And even the walk form the boat to the restaurants in the Swan can be long, especially after a long day in the parks.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Piper
DIS Veteran

If you have difficulty getting from the Boardwalk to the Swan, how are you going to get around in the parks? That is a much, much longer distance. Even the walk from the bus to the entrance of many of them is long.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
blakelee
Earning My Ears

Not only does the walkway zig-zag it has a "hill" when it has to bridge over a waterway when it meets the Swan. The boat docks are mid-way at the Boardwalk and mid-way between the Swan and Dolphin. Garden Grove will be at the far end of the Swan as you approach by boat.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
neuend1
Mouseketeer

Getting around in the parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
If you have difficulty getting from the Boardwalk to the Swan, how are you going to get around in the parks? That is a much, much longer distance. Even the walk from the bus to the entrance of many of them is long.
i have no idea if I would have ANY difficulty getting from the Boardwalk to the Swan. I am just looking for the easiest and shortest route.

I am able to walk from the Epcot parking lot, through the security area, to the ticket gates, and to the ECV rentals. I am also able to do the walks at Magic Kingdom from either the boat or from/to the monorail, through the security/ticket area and then to the ECV rental.

I always rent an ECV to get around inside the parks.

I just want to know what my options are.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Depending on when you go, you may not find an ECV rental at that time of day. Just something you may want to plan for.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
neuend1
Mouseketeer

ECV rental

Our plans are:

(1)-Go to Epcot early in the morning, get an ECV, and tour the park. Then the boat over to the Swan for our 5pm dinner ressie. Then take the boat back to Epcot, getting our ECV (put it on hold at the International Gate) and see the rest of Epcot and hopefully, if not too tired, see Illuminations.

(2)- Go to the Boardwalk, use the valet service, and then take the boat to/from the Swan. Come back to the Boardwalk and enjoy everything there.

(3)-Take the DTD West side bus to/from the Swan.

Depends upon the weather and how we feel.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: