Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #46
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Sending all my friends a HUGE HUG for H.A.R.D. -- go Hug a Runner Day! I can't think of where I would be without all of you who have helped me over the past year and a half!

Much love to all of you!

I had a good 4.2 mile run this morning. I am facing my first mini-Dopey this weekend though.... 5K Turkey Trot on Thurs, 10M Training run on Fri, and a Half Marathon Turkey Trot on Saturday (using Friday/Saturday as my first back-to-back experience).
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #47
LuzzBightyear
Mouseketeer

Hi all

Sorry, I have not been around lately; I have been pretty distracted. We had some layoffs at work, and while my position was not affected, some of my good friends were. The situation has also zapped my motivation to train quite a bit too. Oh well, easier said than done, but no point dwelling on things you cant change!

On the bright side of things, my Achilles injury seems to be better now. It is still tight post-run, but it no longer hurt and causes me to slow down or stop during a run.

And even on the brighter side of things, WDW marathon weekend is only 7 weeks away! My brother in law wants to rent a car when we are down there. I dont really see the point unless he wants to go outside of WDW. Just curious what others do in that regard&do you ever bother with getting a car rental when down there? Also, another random question, do resort gift shops sell gels, chews, ect, or do we need to bring them with us?

Hope everyone has a good week, and Happy Thanksgiving to all US friends!
LuzzBightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #48
Lynn G
Walker of Malamutes

Good Morning Team!

Rick - Good luck on your “mini-Dopey”!

Robbie - Sorry to hear of layoffs, but glad you still have your job. Good to hear your achilles is doing well. We usually rent a car to get from airport to grocery store to DVC property, but only for the day, we then rely on Disney transportation and take Magical Express back to the airport. The exception is when we want to get places more difficult to get to on Disney Transportation - like the Expo for races and other resorts - if that is in our plans, we will keep the car for longer. I have never noticed gels and chews at resorts, but they are available at the Expo.

AFM - Another “off” day, spent the day in Ft. Collins again, Scott was trading in one of his motorcycles for a new one.

Pixie dust to all who are in need!

Have a great day team!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #49
aaronv88
Mouseketeer

I will be running the Atlanta 1/2 marathon on thanksgiving morning. Last minute decision. If i could keep my mind that it is a training run for the Goofy then i'll be alright.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #50
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

Happy Wednesday team!

Lynn - Hope Scott enjoys the new bike! Good job on the bike miles! Is there anyway to bundle up for cold weather bike rides or does adding too much clothing make you less aerodynamic? I'm hoping to do W&D either next year or the year after and maybe I'll get a chance to attend some seminars!

Robbie - Good to hear that your job wasn't affected. My employer recently laid off a bunch of people too. They did it really quietly too so no one knew about it until much later. I'm glad your achilles is feeling better. I've been having some issues with mine so I know how it feels.

As for the rental, it is nice to have one. Like Lynn mentioned, you can go for grocery runs ... you can also resort hop easily or do non Disney things like eat off site, go to Universal, Sea World or outlet shopping. I also like having a car rather than waiting for the bus. It feels like you have more control over your schedule. That said with the buses you never have to drive and they aren't too bad depending which resort you're at. The worst I found were the Pop buses right at MK closing. They were packed and it felt like it took forever for them to dispatch enough buses.

Rick - Good luck with the mini Dopey this weekend! And lots of hugs, even though I'm a day late

Elizabeth - Fingers crossed that the WISH group gets in. I had wanted to do the SF Nike event for many years but it was always expensive. This seemed like a good (affordable) alternative. How's your back feeling? Yes W&D is definitely on the agenda either next year or 2014. I heard something about 2014 being an anniversary year?

Yes, I'm doing a costume for the half in January. I have two ideas but haven't really decided on one or the other yet. I'm thinking of doing Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph or the Queen of Hearts. Like Rick, I'm doing regular clothing for the full.

Kimberly - I couldn't get the link to open at work so I'll check it out when I get home. I know what you mean about sweating when it's cold. I do run/walk intervals so I always feel chilly during the walks.

AFM - I did a quick 4 miler last night and took my heart rate monitor with me. I think I have to do more reading because I'm not sure I understand how to match my pace with my heart rate. I was running in the 80% range which I don't really know what that means - too fast, too slow? My chiro was telling me to wait and see how long it took me to go from my workout heart rate back down to my resting heart rate. I waited for a bit and then got tired of wearing the HRM LOL

I have a 3 miler planned for tonight and I'll take the HRM back out again and see what the numbers are like.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #51
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuzzBightyear
Hi all

Sorry, I have not been around lately; I have been pretty distracted. We had some layoffs at work, and while my position was not affected, some of my good friends were. The situation has also zapped my motivation to train quite a bit too. Oh well, easier said than done, but no point dwelling on things you cant change!

On the bright side of things, my Achilles injury seems to be better now. It is still tight post-run, but it no longer hurt and causes me to slow down or stop during a run.

And even on the brighter side of things, WDW marathon weekend is only 7 weeks away! My brother in law wants to rent a car when we are down there. I dont really see the point unless he wants to go outside of WDW. Just curious what others do in that regard&do you ever bother with getting a car rental when down there? Also, another random question, do resort gift shops sell gels, chews, ect, or do we need to bring them with us?

Hope everyone has a good week, and Happy Thanksgiving to all US friends!
I am glad that you weren't part of the layoffs. I had a very similar experience last fall when I came to work one morning only to find that 8 people in my department had been laid off (one of them was reported directly to me) the day before (like right at 5pm when people were leaving for the day). I was really angry about how they went about it, and it left everyone feeling very concerned for their longevity with the company. It took my friend 8 months to find a new job in this economy, even in the Tech world.

Good news on the achilles front! Have you talked with Dave about stretches that he does for his achilles issue? They might help for the post-run tightness.

I usually just get the Magical Express bus service from the airport to WDW and don't bother with a rental. If I need to go off property, I just call a cab since it doesn't happen but maybe once during a trip. If you were going to be making a lot of trips off property then yes, rent a vehicle.

As for fuel, I would suggest bringing your own because I haven't seen any place on property that sells gels or anything like that -- other than what the vendors sell at the Expo itself. I would bring what you've trained with and not take the chance they won't have what you like.

2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #52
bunnyfoo

Weekend Racers

Good luck to Rick, Hung this weekend! Kick some asphalt!

November

22 - Atlanta Half Marathon, Atlanta, GA - Hung
24 - Turkey Trot Half Marathon, Schaumburg, IL - Rick

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #53
bunnyfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronv88 View Post
I will be running the Atlanta 1/2 marathon on thanksgiving morning. Last minute decision. If i could keep my mind that it is a training run for the Goofy then i'll be alright.
Sounds like fun! I know what you mean about keeping it in mind that it's training ... I have a tendency to want to go all out Can't wait to hear how it went!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #54
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

Just wanted to jump on and say happy thanksgiving to all celebrating and good runs to Rick and Hung and all others doing training runs!

RadioFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #55
Lynn G
Walker of Malamutes

Good Morning Team! Hope all my American team members had a great Thanksgiving!

Vicky - Yes, we do bundle up for winter rides, it does not effect the efficiency much, but the deciding factor on rides is the wind speed, and it is much windier in the winter.

Hung - Hope the Atlanta 1/2 was successful!

AFM - Again, did not do much in the exercise realm, it was very windy yesterday - 25-40mph - so the bikes were out, and we were distracted by meal prep and Christmas decorations. Today’s wind should not be as bad, maybe we will make it outside.

Have a great day team!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #56
windwalker
I need an Adventure

Good Sunday morning Team.

Did everyone have a super weekend? I didn't do a Turkey Trot this year since I'm still in the healing mode and saving my racing till the marathon. I did, like most of us, eat to much though.

Is eveyone's training going well? I know our beloved team captain Vicky has had a tender ankle here lately, Pixey dust for you Princess.

Have an awesome Sunday y'all.

Dave

http://pandaendurance.blogspot.com/

National Senior Olympics June 07
Ranked 9th in 1500m, 8th in 5K

Next Goofy 2012, Second trip to the National Senior Olympics July 2013
windwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #57
Lynn G
Walker of Malamutes

Good Morning Team!

Dave - good to see you post here!

Hope everyone had a good weekend and that all racers were successful.

I still have not been very good about regular exercise, we do get out to the mailbox on our bikes twice a day, once for paper and once for mail (except yesterday - wind exceeding 30mph), and the dogs are getting their daily walk of 1.25 miles. On Friday, I did get down to the basement for 30 min on the spin bike and some weights.

Pixie Dust to all who are in need!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #58
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Hung: How was the Atlanta Half? Was it a good training run or did you have that urge to 'go for it'? I hope you had good weather out there. We had some cold temps here in IL.

Robbie: I am sending you lots of PD and prayers on this latest injury. I hope the issue is not serious and that recovery will be timely.

Vicky: How is your ankle and knee? Were your weekend runs worry-free? I know it's not Turkey Day in Canada, but I hope your weekend included something tasty.

AFM: Thanksgiving was nice and tasty. I kept to my rule of only one plateful of whatever I wanted and only one piece of pie. So between that and my runs, I managed to actually lose 1.5lbs! I ran a 5K Turkey Trot on Thursday, a 10.27 mile training run on Friday, and the Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half today (Saturday). It was a mini-Dopey for me and it was a lot of fun -- even though it snowed on me on Friday and it was bitterly cold (26F) during the Half. But they are all in the books, 32 miles for the week, and I survived!

Full race report is here.

Now for two days of Rest....

Last edited by RunRookie; 11-26-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #59
Lynn G
Walker of Malamutes

Rick - Congrats on weight loss over Thanksgiving! That is quite an accomplishment.

Snow here last night, just a dusting, but it will be cold today, warming up back into the 50's tomorrow.

We have all our Christmas decorations up now, next project is Christmas cards before we leave on vacation.

Have a great day team!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #60
bunnyfoo

Happy Monday!

Lynn - Where are you and Scott headed off to? I noticed a lot of Christmas lights that were put up in our neighbourhood this weekend.

Rick - Congrats on the weight loss over Thanksgiving! That's definitely an accomplishment with all the goodies floating around Sounds like you'll be in good shape for January! I'll check out your RR when I'm done posting here.

Dave - Yeah - ankles, knees and achilles. Might as well just wrap me up in KT Tape LOL I'm taking care to be careful with my ankle and achilles - I'm doing stretching and strengthening exercises so (knock on wood) I'll be good for January.

Robbie -

AFM - I did a 16 miler and a 8 miler this weekend and both turned out pretty good. I had a bit of knee pain toward the end of the 16 miler but nothing that was terrible. Just sore from high mileage I think. It wasn't ITB or related to anything like that. I managed to do 35 miles last week. I'm heading to the gym tonight but I'm feeling tired from the weekend still.

Just curious if anyone has trouble sleeping after they've done a really long run? I had that problem when I ran MCM - I couldn't sleep the night after the race until 6AM! Then I had trouble sleeping Saturday night after running 16 miles. I think I was up until about 2AM.

Hope everyone is doing well with their mileage! Remember to cross train and give your bodies a rest from running or walking. If you get injured, it's important to take time off from your training to heal. Taking 2-3 days (or even more) won't impact your training and you can keep up with cardio by using an elliptical or spin bike in the gym. To quote Dave and Kim, it's better to be undertrained and un-injured

Have a great day everyone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: