Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

What's Everybody Reading this Fall/Winter Season?

Can I just say that I HATE how our book thread keeps disappearing on us!

I have read SO MANY wonderful books this past year all based on recommendations by the DIS'ers here! Even though my "to read" list is still long, I am always on the look out for more books to add.

Books that I've loved this year:

Life of Pi
Night Strangers
The Night Circus
Gone Girl
Wife 22
Dark Places
Sharp Objects
Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella
Beach Music
Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
The Book Thief
The Kitchen House

These are just a few off the top of my head. I know I've read far more than that from recommendations from you all.

So what is everyone cozying up to this winter?

I'm in the middle of reading The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) after recently going through a Gillian Flynn kick (sad she only has 3 books out...)

And you?

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger

Currently reading: #30 One Plus One and #31 Double Whammy

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Harry Potter
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I've been reading Stephanie Bond.

"Our Husband" was recommended on the last thread and I enjoyed it very much! It was a humorous, quick, fluff book.

Since then I've read "In Deep Voodoo"(my favorite of hers so far) and I am 20 pages away from finishing "I Think I Love You".
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Just found a neat new (to me) series by Mark Billingham. British police/murder mysteries. The latest book is "The Demands," but it's like 7th or 8th in the series.

I also just read the final book in Nora Robert's newest trilogy, the Inn Boonsboro series, A Perfect Hope.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I read Killing Lincoln and it was fantastic. Getting ready to start Killing Kennedy.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
minniebride
DIS Veteran

I just ordered "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp on Amazon-hope it helps me figure out how to get my baby to sleep longer at night!
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
npealer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Can I just say that I HATE how our book thread keeps disappearing on us!

I'm in the middle of reading The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) And you?
The Outlander series is one of my Faves! Read the series "almost twice" LOL, The Fiery Cross was the hardest one for me to get thru, got stuck on it second time around

I have loved everything I have ever read by Phillipa Gregory, author of The Other Boleyn.

Also the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning, this is sci-fi fantasy series for anyone who likes that genre

DL/CA- Too many to remember
WDW-Jan 1997 Offsite, April 2003 offsite, November 2005 offsite, Jan 2013 AS Music

npealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by npealer

The Outlander series is one of my Faves! Read the series "almost twice" LOL, The Fiery Cross was the hardest one for me to get thru, got stuck on it second time around

I have loved everything I have ever read by Phillipa Gregory, author of The Other Boleyn.

Also the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning, this is sci-fi fantasy series for anyone who likes that genre
I keep hearing great things about the Outlander series but it's soooo not my thing! I might have to break down and try it anyway.
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro
Old 11-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

I'm another Outlander fan!

The Book Thief is on my to read list as well as The Kitchen House. I read Life of Pi years ago.

I'm currently reading They Almost Always Come Home, a book I got for free on my Kindle. It's OK. Next up is ??????? So many books, so little time! I want to re-read the Outlander series soon, but I'm also waiting to get my hands on the new Ken Follett book and I have to re-read Lord of the Flies soon for school.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I always check these book threads

Are you guys subscribing so you can easily find them?

What if on this thread we put the title of the book and a brief synopsis underneath, then whether or not we recommend?

Right now I'm reading one that was recommended on one of these book threads. It has to do with a boy living in a small town who meets a girl that has been haunting his dreams. That's as far as I have got, but someone here recommended it.

I also want to read Cloud Atlas. I saw the movie, and now want to read the book.

Outlander by Diane Gabaldan - loved it. I'm not sure that there is anyone left who hasn't read it yet, but...
This is a series dealing with time travel. It can be considered a romance, but I think of it as much more. It has to do with life in Scotland back in the 1700's (?), and how people thought back then. It also has to deal with honor, bravery, and dealing with conflict. The characters aren't perfect, which makes them, in my opinion, easy to connect to. I've read the series twice, and the first book three times. I really like it.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - set in WWII Seattle area and the Japanese relocation camps. Two young children of Asian decent are separated because one is Japanese and the other is of Chinese. I would recommend it. It is a part of our history that is rarely written about.

Last edited by figment52; 11-25-2012 at 08:47 AM.
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo
I always check these book threads

Are you guys subscribing so you can easily find them?

What if on this thread we put the title of the book and a brief synopsis underneath, then whether or not we recommend?

Right now I'm reading one that was recommended on one of these book threads. It has to do with a boy living in a small town who meets a girl that has been haunting his dreams. That's as far as I have got, but someone here recommended it.

I also want to read Cloud Atlas. I saw the movie, and now want to read the book.

Outlander by Diane Gabaldan - loved it. I'm not sure that there is anyone left who hasn't read it yet, but...
This is a series dealing with time travel. It can be considered a romance, but I think of it as much more. It has to do with life in Scotland back in the 1700's (?), and how people thought back then. It also has to deal with honor, bravery, and dealing with conflict. The characters aren't perfect, which makes them, in my opinion, easy to connect to. I've read the series twice, and the first book three times. I really like it.
I haven't read it!!!

That's it... It will be my next Kindle purchase.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Saphire
Loves to hear good news
I can't believe they pulled it off!!!

Location: Down By The River Charles...Boston, You're My Home!

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

I mostly read non-fiction, and this book is so good.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
ColoradoMom!!
DIS Veteran

I was looking for a new read when I came across this book on Amazon. It has such incredible reviews that I think I will give it a try:

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

http://www.amazon.com/The-Edge-of-Ne...mm_kin_title_0

Disneyland October 21-24, 2008

Boston Vacation and Red Sox Game July 2009
Back to Cooperstown and New York City June 2010
Disneyland December 2011 and Jan 2013
ColoradoMom!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Danibelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Harry Potter
I finally finished Deathly Hallows. I also read the Stieg Larsson trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and Hunger Games Trilogy. My next series will be Twilight!

Danibelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: