Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
1slowdaddy
Earning My Ears

ADRs for Sci-fi and 50s Prime Time

We will be at WDW for 2 weeks in mid-December (19 days to go!!), just 3 of us: me, my wife, and 11y.o. son. I have a conference for 4 of the days. We are not "big" or "picky" eaters, but would like to experience the show of the Sci-fi and 50s Prime Time restaurants. How far in advance is it necessary to make ADRs for these, lunch or dinner? We are not very organized and often make last minute decisions based on mood, weather, and so on, as to which park to visit and where to eat. Thanks for your help.
1slowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

The Sci-Fi is very popular and might already be booked. The 50's Prime Time is easier to get into, but if you have your heart set on doing both, I would make reservations now.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
nanhol
Mouseketeer

Based on the crowd calendars,like this one:
http://www.undercovertourist.com/pla...-opening-hours
it shouldn't be too crowded at HS on some days (like Mon 12/10 or Tues 12/11), so you could probably make your reservation for SciFi or 50's Prime Time on the day before or at the park that day--or even just try for a walk-up, as long as you're flexible on your eating time and don't mind waiting.

On the weekend before (12/8 & 12/9) and the closer you get to winter break time it's likely to be much more crowded (based on the calendar), so it will be more difficult to get a last minute reservation or walk-up. If you think you'll be there on the weekend then I'd just make a reservation now for when you think you might want to go--and then cancel it while you're there if you change your mind. There's no credit card hold on these restaurants, so there's no pressure if you change your mind.

Poly CL in August 2015
Beach Club, Disney Dream & Contemporary, Feb 2013
Contemporary & Polynesian, Feb 2010
nanhol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
1slowdaddy
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the helpful information!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

That timeframe is during free dining, so I'd be surprised at this point to find much available. If you want to eat there, start watching for an ADR. You can also watch the December cancellation thread.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
purple figment
DIS Veteran

If you really want to eat at a particular restaurant, make a reservation as soon as possible. If you wait until the last moment or not make a reservation at all you run the very real risk of not getting in. Sci Fi and Prime Time are both popular, especially because DHS has only five TS restaurants. Planning in advance is important because even on days when DHS isn't especially busy, these 2 restaurants can get pretty crowded.

Also, walk ups at Sci Fi are often seated at the picnic tables and not in the cars. If you want to sit in a car, you'll need a reservation.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
1slowdaddy
Earning My Ears

I went ahead and made reservations. Most everything was booked up already! We have mid-afternoon lunch reservations, which will be fine. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
shyeyes
Earning My Ears

last time we went was during low season - we didn't need reservations for sci-fi during lunch hour. it was definitely a fun restaurant to try out!

still - does not hurt to make reservations.
shyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: