Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #466
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran
 
Tracerr00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2012 View Post
I walked the PHM last year with my BFF and this year will do so again with my DD15. There are many of us who either prefer or due to other restrictions choose to walk. So YES you can do it and since you have been training you should do fine. Infact there us a whole thread I started last year devoted to PHM Walkers - come join in with us!
Thanks for the welcome! I didn't do any workouts all weekend so I have to kick it into gear this week and force myself to get back on that exercise bike. I don't seem to be able to go very long on the exercise bike though (my butt gets pretty sore!)
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #467
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins
 
Tiger Lily 03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,660
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
Hi all! I'm new to this thread but I've read quite a bit of it! I'm signed up for the PHM but I'm in limbo right now as far as knowing how it'll turn out. I'm your poster child for too much too soon and not knowing what I was doing. I started running this summer and thought I was doing well. But two nights in a row I was running by my house in the country which is all hills. I was so concerned about my time that I was trying to power up the hills which were slow going and when I went downhill, I tried to make up my time by running fast and I was pounding my feet into the ground without realizing how bad that was. This caused "shin splints" which turned out to be a stress fracture in my left tibia. I asked my doc if only two runs could cause a stress fracture and he said yes, every run counts.

So now I'm on crutches and out of training until mid December. I don't have the ok for anything weight bearing like walking or elliptical right now. So I've been doing the exercise bike and I plan to add some pool workouts to keep in shape. I walked a 5K a few weeks back (before realizing the extent of my injury) and I did a 14:30 minute mile. Do you think it's crazy that I would try to train for walking the PHM in only two months?

I think I might have to stick to walking from now on and reading this thread has given me hope that even if I don't do well at the PHM, that I can train for maybe the Wine & Dine or other 1/2 marathons later in the year.
If your doctor approves of your bicycle training and pool work I would do what you can to keep moving. Since you have some sort of base to build upon when you are able to return I think you would be able to give it a good try for walking that PHM. I would add a core strengthening routine (Pilates) to your W/O at this time too. That will prove to be most helpful as you move through the event and keep/get you ready for the upcoming longer training distance.

I follow the John Bingham Marathoning for Mortals program and the PHM training from mid December calls for the following Long Runs/WALKS (LR/LW):
12/15=5, 12/22=5, 12/29=6, 1/5=7, 1/12=4, 1/19=8, 1/26=6, 2/2=10, 2/9=8, 2/16=5

Notice the Bingham program has you trained up to 10 miles, not the full amount (13 miles). It will be presumed that your last 3.1 (5k) will be do-able with good base training up to this point. The Bingham program has been successful for me and my DH. Currently he does RocknRoll events since he is double hip replacement and can manage their 18 min/mile pace. He is getting stronger and closer to a 16 min/mile pace.

You have allowance up to a 16 min/mile. I would recommend to aim for at least a 15 min/mile that will allow for some breathing room and escape from sweepers.

Find the fun, work on your core strengthening and do what you can.
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #468
NateAnglin
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1

Walking More

Hi Dreamer,

I'm not sure if you've resolved this but you just need a little motivation and the last years cold weather probably didn't help you. I just wrote an article on this tpic so it may interest you.

.nateanglin.com/lazy-mans-guide-to-walking-more
NateAnglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #469
Freight Train
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 72

Hi all! I haven't checked in for a while but I was the one who was going to walk the Goofy. I wanted to let everyone know that this past weekend I walked the 13.1 on Friday and the 26.2 on Saturday. I averaged 14:45 for the half (by design) and 14:40 for the whole (which worked out to about 13:30 for the first 18 miles and 16:00+ for the remainder).

I'm not posting this to crow. I just know how doubt and fear and weariness can creep in and discourage you. You shouldn't let it. I was explaining to my wife before the weekend that I was worried about it because it was getting very real. It was like mentally coming upon a locked door that you have to find a way to get through. I'm telling everyone here to go to that door, bust it down, and mentally beat the hell out of anyone inside telling you that you can't or won't finish. If I can do it, so can you!!! Believe in yourself and know that you have support!!!
Freight Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #470
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins
 
Tiger Lily 03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,660
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
Hi all! I haven't checked in for a while but I was the one who was going to walk the Goofy. I wanted to let everyone know that this past weekend I walked the 13.1 on Friday and the 26.2 on Saturday. I averaged 14:45 for the half (by design) and 14:40 for the whole (which worked out to about 13:30 for the first 18 miles and 16:00+ for the remainder).

I'm not posting this to crow. I just know how doubt and fear and weariness can creep in and discourage you. You shouldn't let it. I was explaining to my wife before the weekend that I was worried about it because it was getting very real. It was like mentally coming upon a locked door that you have to find a way to get through. I'm telling everyone here to go to that door, bust it down, and mentally beat the hell out of anyone inside telling you that you can't or won't finish. If I can do it, so can you!!! Believe in yourself and know that you have support!!!
Well said!
Keep on keepin' on everyone.
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #471
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran
 
Tracerr00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily 03 View Post
If your doctor approves of your bicycle training and pool work I would do what you can to keep moving. Since you have some sort of base to build upon when you are able to return I think you would be able to give it a good try for walking that PHM. I would add a core strengthening routine (Pilates) to your W/O at this time too. That will prove to be most helpful as you move through the event and keep/get you ready for the upcoming longer training distance.

I follow the John Bingham Marathoning for Mortals program and the PHM training from mid December calls for the following Long Runs/WALKS (LR/LW):
12/15=5, 12/22=5, 12/29=6, 1/5=7, 1/12=4, 1/19=8, 1/26=6, 2/2=10, 2/9=8, 2/16=5

Notice the Bingham program has you trained up to 10 miles, not the full amount (13 miles). It will be presumed that your last 3.1 (5k) will be do-able with good base training up to this point. The Bingham program has been successful for me and my DH. Currently he does RocknRoll events since he is double hip replacement and can manage their 18 min/mile pace. He is getting stronger and closer to a 16 min/mile pace.

You have allowance up to a 16 min/mile. I would recommend to aim for at least a 15 min/mile that will allow for some breathing room and escape from sweepers.

Find the fun, work on your core strengthening and do what you can.
Thank you for all of the excellent information!! I went to get my MRI results last week and I couldn't have been more thrilled with them. It is indeed a stress fracture but no crack in the bone and it's a slight one. The injury happened two months ago and he said that it's healing nicely and I'm now doing physical therapy and he told me that I could start walking!! I did two miles on Tuesday and three miles on Saturday. We got a family membership to the track at the local university and all three of us (including my 13 year old) are going to start walking tonight! I feel lucky to have the support and lucky that the SF wasn't worse. it was really a wake up call to not go all willy nilly when training. My sports doc also said exactly what you did - to have a training program and stick with it. People that try to do more end up getting injured. He also said that I should work on core strengthening and this is what I'm working on in physical therapy.

I'm so excited that I can walk now and I"m on my way to healing/training!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #472
Disneygirl03
Earning My Ears
 
Disneygirl03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 26

What's the best way to increase speed in walking? I don't feel like the distance is going to be a problem just my timing, particularly when starting out. Once I have been at it a little bit I tend to hit my stride and my pace is better.
Disneygirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #473
Bewitch324
DIS Veteran
 
Bewitch324's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl03 View Post
What's the best way to increase speed in walking? I don't feel like the distance is going to be a problem just my timing, particularly when starting out. Once I have been at it a little bit I tend to hit my stride and my pace is better.
I don't have a good answer for you, I just wanted to comment that I'm struggling with the same issue. My first 2 - 3 miles are way too slow, then I'm able to hit a pretty good pace for several miles. Haven't pushed pace too much on long walks yet, although I need to get faster there too...

I have seen a small improvement by really pushing the speed on short walks and using a metronome periodically to help me turn my feet over faster, but it's a struggle. And those first couple miles really suck. I have really tight calves and it seems like no matter how much I warm up and stretch, they don't start to loosen up until mile 3. Yesterday I don't think they EVER loosened up and I did 14 miles!!!!

Good luck!
Brooke
Bewitch324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #474
Bewitch324
DIS Veteran
 
Bewitch324's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
Hi all! I haven't checked in for a while but I was the one who was going to walk the Goofy. I wanted to let everyone know that this past weekend I walked the 13.1 on Friday and the 26.2 on Saturday. I averaged 14:45 for the half (by design) and 14:40 for the whole (which worked out to about 13:30 for the first 18 miles and 16:00+ for the remainder).

I'm not posting this to crow. I just know how doubt and fear and weariness can creep in and discourage you. You shouldn't let it. I was explaining to my wife before the weekend that I was worried about it because it was getting very real. It was like mentally coming upon a locked door that you have to find a way to get through. I'm telling everyone here to go to that door, bust it down, and mentally beat the hell out of anyone inside telling you that you can't or won't finish. If I can do it, so can you!!! Believe in yourself and know that you have support!!!
Oh my goodness that is SO great !!! Thank you for sharing!!! You did really really good and this is EXACTLY what I needed to hear today!!!!

Have a great night and thank you for sharing!!!

Brooke
Bewitch324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #475
Disneygirl03
Earning My Ears
 
Disneygirl03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitch324

I don't have a good answer for you, I just wanted to comment that I'm struggling with the same issue. My first 2 - 3 miles are way too slow, then I'm able to hit a pretty good pace for several miles. Haven't pushed pace too much on long walks yet, although I need to get faster there too...

I have seen a small improvement by really pushing the speed on short walks and using a metronome periodically to help me turn my feet over faster, but it's a struggle. And those first couple miles really suck. I have really tight calves and it seems like no matter how much I warm up and stretch, they don't start to loosen up until mile 3. Yesterday I don't think they EVER loosened up and I did 14 miles!!!!

Good luck!
Brooke
Phone messed up and said my first reply didn't post so my actual reply is posted below...Oops!

Last edited by Disneygirl03; 12-03-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Disneygirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #476
Disneygirl03
Earning My Ears
 
Disneygirl03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitch324

I don't have a good answer for you, I just wanted to comment that I'm struggling with the same issue. My first 2 - 3 miles are way too slow, then I'm able to hit a pretty good pace for several miles. Haven't pushed pace too much on long walks yet, although I need to get faster there too...

I have seen a small improvement by really pushing the speed on short walks and using a metronome periodically to help me turn my feet over faster, but it's a struggle. And those first couple miles really suck. I have really tight calves and it seems like no matter how much I warm up and stretch, they don't start to loosen up until mile 3. Yesterday I don't think they EVER loosened up and I did 14 miles!!!!

Good luck!
Brooke
I have tight calves too. I think I will start to add a little jogging incase I need it on the day of the 1/2 because I definitely don't want to have to encounter the sweepers.
Disneygirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #477
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran
 
debbieandroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West TN
Posts: 2,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
Hi all! I haven't checked in for a while but I was the one who was going to walk the Goofy. I wanted to let everyone know that this past weekend I walked the 13.1 on Friday and the 26.2 on Saturday. I averaged 14:45 for the half (by design) and 14:40 for the whole (which worked out to about 13:30 for the first 18 miles and 16:00+ for the remainder). I'm not posting this to crow. I just know how doubt and fear and weariness can creep in and discourage you. You shouldn't let it. I was explaining to my wife before the weekend that I was worried about it because it was getting very real. It was like mentally coming upon a locked door that you have to find a way to get through. I'm telling everyone here to go to that door, bust it down, and mentally beat the hell out of anyone inside telling you that you can't or won't finish. If I can do it, so can you!!! Believe in yourself and know that you have support!!!
Crow all you want - that is a tremendous accomplishment! Thank you for telling us about it. Your door analogy is perfect - I've thought a lot about that these past few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
Thank you for all of the excellent information!! I went to get my MRI results last week and I couldn't have been more thrilled with them. It is indeed a stress fracture but no crack in the bone and it's a slight one. The injury happened two months ago and he said that it's healing nicely and I'm now doing physical therapy and he told me that I could start walking!! I did two miles on Tuesday and three miles on Saturday. We got a family membership to the track at the local university and all three of us (including my 13 year old) are going to start walking tonight! I feel lucky to have the support and lucky that the SF wasn't worse. it was really a wake up call to not go all willy nilly when training. My sports doc also said exactly what you did - to have a training program and stick with it. People that try to do more end up getting injured. He also said that I should work on core strengthening and this is what I'm working on in physical therapy.

I'm so excited that I can walk now and I"m on my way to healing/training!
Again, wonderful news! I know you are so relieved. Also good information about not over-doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl03 View Post
What's the best way to increase speed in walking? I don't feel like the distance is going to be a problem just my timing, particularly when starting out. Once I have been at it a little bit I tend to hit my stride and my pace is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitch324 View Post
I don't have a good answer for you, I just wanted to comment that I'm struggling with the same issue. My first 2 - 3 miles are way too slow, then I'm able to hit a pretty good pace for several miles. Haven't pushed pace too much on long walks yet, although I need to get faster there too...

I have seen a small improvement by really pushing the speed on short walks and using a metronome periodically to help me turn my feet over faster, but it's a struggle. And those first couple miles really suck. I have really tight calves and it seems like no matter how much I warm up and stretch, they don't start to loosen up until mile 3. Yesterday I don't think they EVER loosened up and I did 14 miles!!!!

Good luck!
Brooke
Two things:

First, about speeding up, I'm in the same boat in that I have the endurance but speed continues to be a problem. I did walk two half marathons in November [part of a race series] and managed to average a 16:30 for both. What I noticed is that I could speed up to pass people if I wanted to, even in the later miles. So, in a racing situation, I do think I have the endurance, because of logging a ton of miles, to go faster if I spot a sweeper. I just can't seem to make myself go that fast in training.

I did find these drills that I just started using:

http://walking.about.com/cs/powerwal...fastdrills.htm

If nothing else, they are a good cardiac workout on my short walk days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl03 View Post
I have tight calves too. I think I will start to add a little jogging incase I need it on the day of the 1/2 because I definitely don't want to have to encounter the sweepers.
Second, and this is only my opinion...I'm a little nervous about adding jogging to the mix, for several reasons. First, I really enjoy walking but not jogging as much. Will I work as hard for something I don't really enjoy?

Also, I did try jogging a few months ago - the Galloway run/walk method to finish a 5K. My problem is that the running part fatigued me so I couldn't walk as fast as I needed to. So I slowed down my running to make sure I could finish that distance. If I were to add jogging to a half marathon distance, I would really go slowly - definitely more slowly than walking the entire time.

Then there's the injury issue. I am nervous that adding jogging might just put me at risk for injury - especially since learning a new form would be involved.

Anyway, Disneygirl, I definitely do not want to discourage you. I hope everything works out for you.

Oh, about your speed increasing after 2,3 miles....I've read that this is how it is supposed to happen for the longer distances. If you go out too fast, even walking, you'll poop out too quickly. Brooke, sounds like you're doing it right!
__________________
debbieandroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #478
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran
 
debbieandroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: West TN
Posts: 2,081

And, Brooke, I just wanted to give you a bunch of these:



and these:

You have done so much to get ready for this marathon. I am in awe that your training is having you walk 17 and 18 miles - wow! You are doing so well and are being so self-disciplined - go you!!!
__________________
debbieandroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #479
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy
 
John VN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fl
Posts: 4,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post
..........Second, and this is only my opinion...I'm a little nervous about adding jogging to the mix, for several reasons. First, I really enjoy walking but not jogging as much. Will I work as hard for something I don't really enjoy?

Also, I did try jogging a few months ago - the Galloway run/walk method to finish a 5K. My problem is that the running part fatigued me so I couldn't walk as fast as I needed to. So I slowed down my running to make sure I could finish that distance. If I were to add jogging to a half marathon distance, I would really go slowly - definitely more slowly than walking the entire time.

Then there's the injury issue. I am nervous that adding jogging might just put me at risk for injury - especially since learning a new form would be involved.

Anyway, Disneygirl, I definitely do not want to discourage you. I hope everything works out for you.

Oh, about your speed increasing after 2,3 miles....I've read that this is how it is supposed to happen for the longer distances. If you go out too fast, even walking, you'll poop out too quickly. Brooke, sounds like you're doing it right!
my bolding....I am glad you feel this way, , and regarding your concern with jogging....spot on as far as I am concerned. It took me 2 1/2 years before I started to add the jogging and to tell you the truth, I love my fast walking much more.

Great job to all!!!
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #480
Bewitch324
DIS Veteran
 
Bewitch324's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 604

Hello all. I read the article about the drills, thank you for sharing. I'm going to try and incorporate some of these and see how I do. I definitely don't have the option on adding in jogging at this point as that is how I screwed up my knee last September and ended up NOT being able to do the half last January.

Doc basically said that I would NEVER be able to run...but I don't believe him. I think it's more like I will not be able to run until I get some significant weight off...which I'm working on but that will be a LONG process...

Planning an 18 for Sunday, will see how I do...It is supposed to rain though, really hoping I can get outside to do it, but I don't think walking for 5 - 6 hours in the rain would be my smartest move a month before the marathon, so I may end up doing some of it on the treadmill yuck.

Have a great night!
Brooke
Bewitch324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: