Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I have the Garmin 310XT. Big and a bit clunky to look at, but I forget about it on my wrist. I don't think this is a current model, but it is recent and available.

I like it because:

-you can do custom intervals, up to about 2000, and the intervals will either beep or vibrate (I use a ipod when running so miss audio cues)
-almost instant pacing which was necessary for small lap speed work at the track
-waterproof
-very customizable screen
-not fussy or hard to press wrong buttons
-got very good accuracy ratings
-long battery life
-easy to use
-auto-pause for traffic lights

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

Longer Battery Life is Key

Go with the watch with longer battery life. It says five hours but you have to acquire satellites first and that drains the battery quicker. I learned this the hard way in August. Took my 610 to Vancouver for the Sea Wheeze Half Marathon, checked the watch the night before and had about three hours left. Race morning I turned the watch on as I was getting into my start corral and it took about three minutes to get satellites. Went from Hawaii to Vancouver so no big surprise with that. The 610 Then turned itself off at 8.34 miles and 1h 16m into the race because of depleted battery. So for me the big lesson was charge the watch before the race and account for big moves and the longer time it takes to get satellites.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
slp1650
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
I have the Garmin 310XT. Big and a bit clunky to look at, but I forget about it on my wrist. I don't think this is a current model, but it is recent and available.

I like it because:

-you can do custom intervals, up to about 2000, and the intervals will either beep or vibrate (I use a ipod when running so miss audio cues)
-almost instant pacing which was necessary for small lap speed work at the track
-waterproof
-very customizable screen
-not fussy or hard to press wrong buttons
-got very good accuracy ratings
-long battery life
-easy to use
-auto-pause for traffic lights
I like the Garmin 310XT as well. Definitely a bit clunky, but definitely forgettable. I've been running with it for a little over a month now and believe I've definitely upgraded from the iphone Nike+ app. It was a long overdue upgrade actually.

I have one small issue personal issue and an accuracy issue (and if you can help with either please let me know).

1) I would like the light to stay on a big longer because I do run quite a bit at night and twilight hours, but again that's a personal thing. The light is easy to turn on so it really isn't a big deal to keep doing that. It's just a bit repetitive.

2) Calories burned is having accuracy issues. Apparently this morning on my 7 mile run I only burned 200 calories (actually a bit less). That's obviously wrong... It has been right before so I'm not sure why it wasn't this time. It seemed like my heart rate monitor was working but it might be loose. I'm going to trouble shoot with it for a few days, but overall I'm not super worried about it.

Both are not issues that will make me return my Garmin and I still love it, but it's just things to be aware of. There are definitely more pros than these cons.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808
I have the 110 and love it! It does do average pace per mile, though doesn't give instantaneous pace. The battery lasts for a long time (I charge mine like once every two weeks) and I got it on sale from Amazon for $150.
I got the 110 on Amazon, had it in my shopping cart and on Black Friday the price dropped to $140. This watch is all I need although I wish it came in all pink.

I'm buying my husband one for his triathlons for Christmas and I'm hoping to see that price drop too.
1986-1st trip~5/2006-Animal Kingdom~6/2008-Beach Club~10/2009-Contemporary~2/2010-Pop Century~6/2010-Star Wars Weekend French Quarter~12/2010-Marco Island~12/2011-Riverside~8/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek~9/2012-Caribbean~10/2012-Hilton Downtown Disney~2/2013-Princess Half Marathon Hilton Bonnet Creek
EEsloveDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #20
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch_lover_Sith View Post
Go with the watch with longer battery life. It says five hours but you have to acquire satellites first and that drains the battery quicker. I learned this the hard way in August. Took my 610 to Vancouver for the Sea Wheeze Half Marathon, checked the watch the night before and had about three hours left. Race morning I turned the watch on as I was getting into my start corral and it took about three minutes to get satellites. Went from Hawaii to Vancouver so no big surprise with that. The 610 Then turned itself off at 8.34 miles and 1h 16m into the race because of depleted battery. So for me the big lesson was charge the watch before the race and account for big moves and the longer time it takes to get satellites.
Funny. Just had the same thing happen. Had fully charged it the week before and hadn't used it until race day. Turned it on when I left the hotel and let it go to power save while we were walking around - probably about 30-45 minutes. When I brought it back to life in the corral, it flashed "low battery." It made it 7.69 miles, 1:21 into the race. Lesson learned. Charge it the night before, don't turn it on until 5 minutes before the start!

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseDogMom View Post
Funny. Just had the same thing happen. Had fully charged it the week before and hadn't used it until race day. Turned it on when I left the hotel and let it go to power save while we were walking around - probably about 30-45 minutes. When I brought it back to life in the corral, it flashed "low battery." It made it 7.69 miles, 1:21 into the race. Lesson learned. Charge it the night before, don't turn it on until 5 minutes before the start!

Jackie
This has been the rule for a while... Or so I thought until reading this thread - I guess I was burned on a few training runs.

I agree with all but do not turn it on until 5 minutes pre-start. If one has travelled or has not had the Garmin on for a couple days OR has cloud cover or is starting in a treed area or a down town area.... satellite acquisition can take longer than 5 minutes.

Having travelled quite a bit, I would suggest acquiring satellites the day of arrival at a new location. Charging over night. Note that sometimes a USB port can wonk out and/or a hotel electrical outlet that may be on a light may unpower when turned off; so bring your transformer with the USB cable for sure charging. On race morning, turn the unit on before leaving the hotel room or home.

I offer this as I have been in a corral once waiting for the satellites to come in and thought I was about to have to take off without the unit being operational.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

I made it a rule of thumb to always charge my 305 before using it. The battery life was supposedly 10 hours but never was. I now have the 910XT with a 20 hour battery life and still charge before every use. Have had the watch on charge to completed display, removed from cradle, went to bed, woke up next morning to see that watch had turned on and was down to 60% charge. Put it back on charge before heading out.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
Robert 31320
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
I have the 110 and love it! It does do average pace per mile, though doesn't give instantaneous pace. The battery lasts for a long time (I charge mine like once every two weeks) and I got it on sale from Amazon for $150.
I'm glad to see the positive reviews on the 110! I just ordered one yesterday off Amazon for $143.50. Now it needs to hurry up and get here

Disney Wonder - June 2004
Pop Century Resort - March 2005, Carribean Beach Resort - March 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - March 2007, Pop Century - November 2007, Carribean Beach Resort - March 2008

http://robert-31320.blogspot.com/
Robert 31320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert 31320 View Post
I'm glad to see the positive reviews on the 110! I just ordered one yesterday off Amazon for $143.50. Now it needs to hurry up and get here
I really like mine. Just last week it started locking up occasionally - I would go to put it on and it would read 11:59:59 from the night before. So strange, but very easy to reset - just hold the "light" button down until the screen goes blank, then hold it again to start it back up. It resets itself, but still has all the data/history on there.

Haven't had any issues while in use.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #25
Robert 31320
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
I really like mine. Just last week it started locking up occasionally - I would go to put it on and it would read 11:59:59 from the night before. So strange, but very easy to reset - just hold the "light" button down until the screen goes blank, then hold it again to start it back up. It resets itself, but still has all the data/history on there.

Haven't had any issues while in use.
Thanks!

Disney Wonder - June 2004
Pop Century Resort - March 2005, Carribean Beach Resort - March 2006, Animal Kingdom Lodge - March 2007, Pop Century - November 2007, Carribean Beach Resort - March 2008

http://robert-31320.blogspot.com/
Robert 31320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #26
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to let everyone know that today's Amazon GoldBox deal is the Garmin 410 for $150. http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #27
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

And for those who may have missed the Amazon deal, Costco has the 410 today for $160. Plus Amazon has a Lightning Deal on the 405CX starting at 12:30EST.

Last edited by jmasgat; 11-26-2012 at 08:36 AM.
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #28
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

For the bigger spenders...the 610 is on sale for $299 (down from $399) at both Amazon.com and Runningwarehouse.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...rds=garmin+610

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...rds=garmin+610
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #29
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

I bought the 410 yesterday on Amazon's lightening deal... I just wish it was pink. Hopefully it's fantastic, I've never had a running watch and have realied on Nike+ and map my run.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: