Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
disneychristmasx3
Mouseketeer

SC breakfast items that are not pastries

Where are the best places to use snack credits for breakfast and what are the snacks you recommend there. Right now I have budgeted for breakfast OOP since it isn't the best use of CS credits. But it would be nice if could avoid paying for 5 breakfasts OOP every day, and then having a bunch of snack credits to use up on check out day - we are not really snackers but we do like 3 meals per day when we are active all day. We will be staying at POR and the list of eligible breakfast items there is short and mostly bakery items. I am trying to steer clear of pastries as I don't want everyone to have a sugar crash mid morning, so I am looking for more filling savory items. We are not opposed to non-traditional breakfast foods (I am thinking I might like some chicken fried rice for breakfast in AK - that seems like great use of a snack credit). I have looked at the menus and snack credit lists - just not sure what is available in the morning and what the experts would recommend

disneychristmasx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

The resort restaurants should have an oatmeal for a snack credit. Depending on where you stay, you may also be able to get grits or biscuits and gravy. A bagel is not as sugary sweet as a pastry, and those should work as well. An option in the parks would be a pretzel. Yogurt parfaits and fruit cups may also work.
sharonabe is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
allyphoe
DIS Veteran

Bacon (my DD's breakfast of choice) is available as a snack credit. IIRC, it's only about $2.79 per order, so perhaps not the most efficient use of a snack credit.

What we do is get a bigger breakfast item that lends itself to sharing, and divvy it up, then use a snack credit if needed to supplement (either that meal or some later one).
allyphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
cey
DIS Veteran

After having a steady diet of sweet treats for breakfast last year for the first week, I ended up making some breakfast purchases off-site. This year, to avoid those all so familar sugar crashes, I am packing in my suitcase, whole wheat bagels, low sugar peanut butter and apples! I will replentish my supply half way through my stay. It is so nice, to eat breakfast in the privacy of your room so that you have your energy at optimum levels for the am rope drop..... Also taking my own coffee maker for my Tim Horton fix each am (and maybe pm as well!). This way I can save my snack credits for dole whips!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
disneychristmasx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cey View Post
After having a steady diet of sweet treats for breakfast last year for the first week, I ended up making some breakfast purchases off-site. This year, to avoid those all so familar sugar crashes, I am packing in my suitcase, whole wheat bagels, low sugar peanut butter and apples! I will replentish my supply half way through my stay. It is so nice, to eat breakfast in the privacy of your room so that you have your energy at optimum levels for the am rope drop..... Also taking my own coffee maker for my Tim Horton fix each am (and maybe pm as well!). This way I can save my snack credits for dole whips!
Oh how I miss Tim Hortons coffee!! First and last place we visit whenever we go home to visit family. They conveniently have a Tim Hortons in the duty free shop as we cross back into the US

Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Quin
DIS Veteran

I think that your best bet is to bring your preferred breakfast items from home and eat in your room. Granola bars travel very well. Supplement that with a beverage in your refillable mug and perhaps use a snack credit or two for a fruit bowl to add to the breakfast.

The trick is to avoid the common mistake of 'saving' your snack credits during your first few days. Commit to the idea of a mid-afternoon or late-evening break using up snack credits every. single. day. Combine it with a bit of a rest -sit down and have a Dole Whip or an iced latte to rest your feet, people-watch, and generally recharge. Don't worry that it's not the most expensive use of a snack credit possible. That's the kind of thinking that leads to the purchase of 27 Mickey rice crispy treats from the grab & go on your departure day because you've still got all those snack credits you 'saved' from the start of your trip. Been there, done that, and it was a dumb thing to do.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
disneychristmasx3
Mouseketeer

Actually granola bars in the room is exactly what I don't want to do. I will be happy to buy breakfast if it keeps my teenage son and 20 year old son happy longer-as I said we have budgeted to buy breakfast every day. But they won't do well for long on straight carbs and sugar. Just looking for some snack items that don't involve a blood sugar spike followed by a crash. Looking for something with protein. I know at Port Orleans french Quarter you can get a side of eggs - wonder why Riverside doesn't do the same thing. Bacon would work and I would rather use up a snack credit on bacon than have them go to waste unused or to purchase sugary junk to take home. We really prefer 3 meals to 2 meals plus snacks so I would like to use up the snack credits at breakfast if possible, but only if it means getting something that will keep 2 athletes going for at least a little while.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
CammelleandBre
Mouseketeer

Riverside will give you a side of scrambled eggs. That's what I did back in June. Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
mmouse50
DIS Veteran

I have had a side of potatoes before - but the one that I like best is to get a side of bacon and buy the 2 slices of bread (in the baggy - I think it is like .75) and toast the bread and have a bacon sandwich
mmouse50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
disneychristmasx3
Mouseketeer

Curious as to what time some of the CS locations that sell savory snacks such as soups, baked potatoes, etc start serving. Do they generally open mid morning? Or closer to lunch time?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I have seen hard boiled eggs for a snack credit if you wanted something quick.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: