Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Martyap
Mouseketeer

Dining for 10....6 adults and 4 children

New to this board and I do not know all the abbreviations yet so please excuse me. We are staying at Port Orleans, next July, park hopping and Dining+.

Our grandkids (9,9,10,8) are good eaters with eclectic tastes and don't always go for the mac and cheese or chicken finger choices. The quantity is not my concern, rather the quality of choices.

So far I booked only the 10 year old on the "adult" plan. Was this a mistake?
I know there are buffets but we do plan reserving regular menu type restaurants more often than buffets.

Knowing how hot the summer is, I'm guessing we will spend some afternoon time at the hotel pool and then head out to dinner before spending more park time in the evening.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Martyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Your best bet is to go to allears.net and look at the menus. You're right that there are a lot of chicken fingers/mac and cheese type meals on the children's menus. A lot of places do have a choice or two that are more sophisticated, but you'd have to look at the actual menus to see if it's something that your grandkids would eat.

I know some people do upgrade 9yos to the adult plan for more quantity or options, but that could get pricey, especially for 3 of them.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Upgrading three kids on a paid (not free dining offer) plan is going to be expensive. I'd pick a lot of buffets or family-style served meals, and scour the menus for counter service places that have offerings for kids that are more to their liking - or find the few CS that do not have a children's menu.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
Upgrading three kids on a paid (not free dining offer) plan is going to be expensive. I'd pick a lot of buffets or family-style served meals, and scour the menus for counter service places that have offerings for kids that are more to their liking - or find the few CS that do not have a children's menu.
Agreed. It would probably just be cheaper to pay out of pocket for extras than to upgrade the kids.
If you aren't doing a lot of buffets...perhaps you should just skip DDP altogether
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

The kids plan is doable with careful planning. Kids don't need to get nugget'd to death during the trip.

Plan a bunch of buffets - kids can eat adult or kids options. Choose places like Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Sunshine Seasons, any of the CS place in World SHowcase, Main St Bakery or Starring Rolls Cafe for your CS meals. Eat at a signature restaurant for one meal. Use kids CS credits for breakfast items and then split a few adult CS meals. Give the kids a 'snacks' meal here or there (muffin, icee plus a fruit can make a meal).
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools

upgrade one and take it in turns or share the adult meals?? im one of the ones who paid to upgrade dd to an adult.... was it worth it? deffinetely!! did she eat all the food? no, but it meant no oop expenses, a better choice of the menu and we had desserts to go and that covered bfast in the room! alot of places will box up any main meal not eaten too, and we had micromaved pizza and steak for bfast lol!! hey, we were on holiday! i would consider it, no way would she have eaten off the kids menu, too repetitive (tho kiddie size portions of adult meals are often available if you ask
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: