Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #76
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
I would expect then that you skip photo ops with characters while on course, since you are concerned about finishing to enjoy the after party?
I think we were at the same race and those lines were insane. It was crowded the entire time and my other half was running the race so everything was up to him. Having that amount of crowding is a bit much for most people, especially if they never went to a Disney race before. I don't do Disney races for the photo opportunities, nor do I run them for time, I do them for fun. This race had very few photo opportunities anyway. We were in one of the last waves, so being that late, being that crowded, made me want to get to the party. But, as already stated, I didn't skip anything and did not get to the after party very early. To busy waiting in the lines for the obstacles...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #77
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4life30 View Post
I guess and if anyone here is familiar with the Spartan Race/SuperHeroScramble that their obstacles are no where near the simple ones Disney uses. In other words I should not expect to jump over walls, crawl under barbed wire, climb up a slanted splippery wall.....

I should expect simple kid friendly obstacles that in reality if I choose to do I might have to wait in a line to do it. So is bet to just keep running and take part in the Scavenger hunt.
Nope, nothing remotely like real obstacles! My 9yo didn't even find them challenging and trust me - he is not naturally athletic. We were in the middle of the pack and didn't encounter lines for the obstacles, so they're not always a problem. I did see many people go around the hay bales, but they were easy enough to go over (only 1 bale high). Most everyone I saw did the tires. Lots of folks skipped going under the nets.

Honestly, I wouldn't wait in a long line for any of them, but they were fun to do!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #78
hungrygreenhippo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
Could you imagine if Disney had obstacles like that? I would volunteer to be a spectator if that ever happened.

Some say that you have to do the obstacles in order to be eligible for awards. So, if you are at the front of the pack, maybe you have to do them. But, I don't see how they kept track of that. Otherwise, yes, just run by the side of the obstacles and get the scavenger hunt as quickly as you can. That way, you cross the finish line and have ample time to ride all the attractions that will be open. You cross the finish line AFTER the scavenger hunt.
This is another of my pet peeves about the race. Even a lot of the people in the front of the pack skip the obstacles. I think the obstacles should be required in order to be eligible for awards, but I'm 99% sure Disney is not keeping track.

There were different obstacles the first few years of the race when the obstacle course was between the 5k and scavenger hunt (instead of during the 5k). Those were a bit tougher (climb over 4ft hurdles, climb up rope net, balance beam), although still nothing like Tough Mudder/Spartan-type events. They've obviously switched now to obstacles that are easier to move people through quickly.

I still love the concept of EEC not being just a plain old 5k, which is what drew me in in the first place and why I keep going back. But Disney has cut back on some of the fun in order to increase capacity. Logistically I don't know that this would be possible, but I wonder if they've ever considered the idea of spacing out the waves more. At the more obstacle/mud-type events, don't people actually sign up for specific times to start? If there were less people on the course at a time, Disney would have more ability to be creative with the obstacles and scavenger hunt clues. If I remember correctly, the clues don't even relate to AK anymore. In the early years the clues actually related to signs and other stuff around the park.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is here. I guess it's that Disney has a solid concept that people are obviously interested in, but operationally there's room for improvement - which I guess we all already knew.
hungrygreenhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #79
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygreenhippo View Post
This is another of my pet peeves about the race. Even a lot of the people in the front of the pack skip the obstacles. I think the obstacles should be required in order to be eligible for awards, but I'm 99% sure Disney is not keeping track.

There were different obstacles the first few years of the race when the obstacle course was between the 5k and scavenger hunt (instead of during the 5k). Those were a bit tougher (climb over 4ft hurdles, climb up rope net, balance beam), although still nothing like Tough Mudder/Spartan-type events. They've obviously switched now to obstacles that are easier to move people through quickly.

I still love the concept of EEC not being just a plain old 5k, which is what drew me in in the first place and why I keep going back. But Disney has cut back on some of the fun in order to increase capacity. Logistically I don't know that this would be possible, but I wonder if they've ever considered the idea of spacing out the waves more. At the more obstacle/mud-type events, don't people actually sign up for specific times to start? If there were less people on the course at a time, Disney would have more ability to be creative with the obstacles and scavenger hunt clues. If I remember correctly, the clues don't even relate to AK anymore. In the early years the clues actually related to signs and other stuff around the park.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is here. I guess it's that Disney has a solid concept that people are obviously interested in, but operationally there's room for improvement - which I guess we all already knew.
I am guessing they followed the front runners to make sure they did the obstacles, but if you weren't in contention, then forget it. With it starting later next year, I think that the waves are going to be so much worse because we waited so long in the first place. I do agree that they could make it so much better. I think some of the clues had to do with Animal Kingdom, but did they have the race a lot earlier before? I just remember seeing one of my Disney friends pictures from it a few years ago and it wasn't dark. I don't see how it can't start earlier, but I guess it probably has something to do with the animals.

Would it be more fun if they required teams but had waves where it eliminated some people? Then certain teams continued and others didn't? Granted, it wouldn't be in line with Disney's include everyone philosophy...
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #80
JCH
DIS Veteran

I've been trying to get my husband to do a race with me, and figured maybe, just MAYBE, I could convince him to the 5k/scavenger hunt..but I looked at the price! Holy Cow! More expensive than the ToT 10 miler, and only a little less than Wine and Dine!!! I'm a local, so usually just get 1 night of hotel, but still...is there anything to justify this cost? What's open in AK? I hate roller coasters, so I am thinking there is nothing in this to justify the price...

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #81
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygreenhippo View Post
Logistically I don't know that this would be possible, but I wonder if they've ever considered the idea of spacing out the waves more. At the more obstacle/mud-type events, don't people actually sign up for specific times to start? If there were less people on the course at a time, Disney would have more ability to be creative with the obstacles and scavenger hunt clues.
Yes. Mud runs have waves because you couldn't possibly have thousands of people all starting at once and safely get people through the course. There is usually a limit to the number of people in each wave and they space them about 20 minutes apart so the groups can get partially through before the next ones come in. Slower people may slack to the back and be passed by later starters, but at least it helps prevent some of the back-up at obstacles or swarms of people clogging up the trails.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #82
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
I've been trying to get my husband to do a race with me, and figured maybe, just MAYBE, I could convince him to the 5k/scavenger hunt..but I looked at the price! Holy Cow! More expensive than the ToT 10 miler, and only a little less than Wine and Dine!!! I'm a local, so usually just get 1 night of hotel, but still...is there anything to justify this cost? What's open in AK? I hate roller coasters, so I am thinking there is nothing in this to justify the price...
In 2012, Everest, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl. Maybe Triceratops spin?

There was a DJ and a dance party, too.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #83
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
This was the reason I did this race. My other half always jokes that he would only run if someone was chasing him with a knife. Before I knew that actual races like that do exist, this seemed like the best option. He had fun other than the crowds. The entire time he kept asking how I could put up with this in all the Disney races, although I would say the crowding was a bit worse than any other Disney race. Last year, the 5th Anniversary medal and the opportunity for us to run a race together made the cost worth it, and I had fun for the most part. If your husband is interested, why not go for it and try it out. It may be the one race that starts his interest in running more. I am sure you can get a good deal on a hotel room. It definitely wasn't the busiest time at the parks.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #84
Syrreal
DIS Veteran
I just prefer having my air with me.

My friend and I just did the Jingle Jungle 5K last week and are already plotting our turn for Everest! I'm hooked!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #85
EC0323
Mouseketeer

We have done this race twice. We love it. We probably wont be able to do this year but I can hope. I noticed registration opens next week which is good news.

Did anyone notice that they added a pre race picnic this year? I thought that sounded cool until I saw what you get for the price: a sandwich, a drink, chips for 18. Not sure what I am missing. But that does not sound like a good deal to me.

Good luck to all that do it this year. It is fun! Yes it is crowded. But hey you are at Disney!!!!!!!!!!!
EC0323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #86
GoofyMac
Earning My Ears

Passholder Registration

Registration has just opened for passholders. Just so happens that this will be on day one of our vacation. I am going to register. Sounds like it will be great fun.
May 2011 - All Star Music
Oct 2011 - All Star Music (Family Suite)
May 2012 - Saratoga Springs
Oct 2012 - Boardwalk Villas
Oct 2012 - Disneyland (Adults only)
Feb 2013 - Saratoga Springs
GoofyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #87
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

I've run Everest the last 2 years but very much doubt I'll run it this year for price alone..

When I'm running 1/2s for less to much less than that and its close to the price of DISNEY 1/2s and ToT I'm out.. Add the fact when they added 5,000 more runners (+ spectators) it took the lines from walk-on to 30-40 min I'm really okay..

-em
Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #88
hungrygreenhippo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC0323 View Post
We have done this race twice. We love it. We probably wont be able to do this year but I can hope. I noticed registration opens next week which is good news.

Did anyone notice that they added a pre race picnic this year? I thought that sounded cool until I saw what you get for the price: a sandwich, a drink, chips for 18. Not sure what I am missing. But that does not sound like a good deal to me.

Good luck to all that do it this year. It is fun! Yes it is crowded. But hey you are at Disney!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't notice the pre race picnic until you mentioned it. Definitely doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe if there was a special speaker (Jeff Galloway or the like) or some Disney characters then that would make it more appealing. But otherwise I could get more interesting food for $18 elsewhere at WDW.
hungrygreenhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #89
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

I swear, I think they're using the 2013 EEC to determine just how much they can over-inflate costs and still get people to sign up! My son will be disappointed, but there is NO WAY I can afford $220 to register for a 5K.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #90
caitie86
Earning My Ears

I think I will try this event. It is a little pricey but sounds like fun. I'm new at the 5K thing and am a little on the slower side. Hopefully that will change!! If anyone needs a teammate, I'm ready! I'll be good at the scavanger hunt part.

- best running partner, Marley

caitie86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: