Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Dabelsteen
Earning My Ears

Censorship on Disney.com?

So I made two posts on the Disney Parks blog and none were posted to the site. Each one was critical of the decision to replace the bakery with a Starbucks. I read the terms of use and I don't seem to be in violation unless you read it at its most simple and believe terms of use includes censorship. The posts follow and I'm curious.....Why delete them? The posts aren't offensive....Are they actually that protective that they'd delete legit posts? have they not learned from everyone elses errors?

And for the record I'm a huge fan and NEVER detract from what they do. I'm very much a Disney defender up until now......

Posts #1 & 2

The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming" - Great it will look traditional. One issue solved.

"Itíll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items." - They aren't saying its the same stuff they were selling, they said they'lll sell pastries just like all Starbucks do.

My personal favorite line that confirms the above statement as true: "And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gastonís Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.Ē In other words. You will not find them at the Bakery, go somewhere else.

Post # 3

What makes Disney World great is its uniqueness. We know have an Edyís ice cream shop bumping up against a Starbucks. Why not close the Emporium and open a GAP? Whatís the difference?
Sell the Starbucks coffee, by all means, Iím a fan. Just replace the stuff they sell in those carts all over the place. Replacing a bakery with a coffee shop is an astonishing case of a company being blind to its own product. You want to replace the pastries please do, but do something I canít by at my local mall.

1974 Ramada Inn, 1977 Holiday Inn, 1985 Days Inn Maingate, 1987 Super 8, 1989 Larson's Lodge, 1995 Holiday Inn, 2001 Coronado Springs, 2002 West Gate Lakes, 2004 Holiday Inn Main Gate West, 2005 POP Century, 2006 Travel Lodge Hotel Main Gate East, 2006 Seralago Suites, 2008 Caribe Royal, 2007 Fun Spot Hotel, 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2009 All Star Movies, 2010 Seralago Suites, 2011 Holiday Inn Main Gate East, 2012 POP Century
Dabelsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

I think most corporate sites closely controll their content. If everything is not yea ra ra then they do not post it.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
JB2K
DIS Veteran

OP, it needs to be reminded that Disney, just like GM, Walmart, ExxonMobil, and all the rest is a big multi-national corporation -- and corporations don't want negative comments on websites/blogs they own/operate (as corportations exsit to "bring value to the shareholders").
Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Disney might not like the negative comments but we do feel free to share them here
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

The website DOES state that they review comments for content before posting.

I don't know their criteria but to be honest, the comments ARE argumentative and somewhat sarcastic so I can see why they might have decided to post them.

And I'm not being judgmental because I LOVE being argumentative and sarcastic. Just ask my wife.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Dabelsteen
Earning My Ears

But I'm n e v e r sarcastic.....

1974 Ramada Inn, 1977 Holiday Inn, 1985 Days Inn Maingate, 1987 Super 8, 1989 Larson's Lodge, 1995 Holiday Inn, 2001 Coronado Springs, 2002 West Gate Lakes, 2004 Holiday Inn Main Gate West, 2005 POP Century, 2006 Travel Lodge Hotel Main Gate East, 2006 Seralago Suites, 2008 Caribe Royal, 2007 Fun Spot Hotel, 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2009 All Star Movies, 2010 Seralago Suites, 2011 Holiday Inn Main Gate East, 2012 POP Century
Dabelsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
awilliams4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabelsteen View Post
So I made two posts on the Disney Parks blog and none were posted to the site. Each one was critical of the decision to replace the bakery with a Starbucks.
Maybe they removed your posts to eliminate confusion since you were critical of something that wasn't even going to happen to begin with.
awilliams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

On its own website, Disney can do whatever it wishes. Freedom of speech doesn't apply.

If you walk into a McDonald's and try to convince patrons that they should go to Burger King, management can ask you to leave (and involve the authorities if you refuse.)

If you go to a Honda dealership and urge customers to buy Ford instead, they can throw you out. It's private property and they have no obligation to provide a platform for you to air your opinions.

Same principle for a website. If they don't like what you have to say, the comments can be removed / blocked and you could even be banned from accessing the site. Even the DIS management has such rights as operators of this website.

Bottom line is you are a guest on their site--on ANY website--and if site owners don't like what you have to say, they have every legal right to censor the comments.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But I'm n e v e r sarcastic.....
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

It does seem a little over sensitive to block those, but they own the servers and content and thus have the right to prevent posting.

Quote:
So I made two posts on the Disney Parks blog and none were posted to the site. Each one was critical of the decision to replace the bakery with a Starbucks. I read the terms of use and I don't seem to be in violation unless you read it at its most simple and believe terms of use includes censorship. The posts follow and I'm curious.....Why delete them? The posts aren't offensive....Are they actually that protective that they'd delete legit posts? have they not learned from everyone elses errors?

And for the record I'm a huge fan and NEVER detract from what they do. I'm very much a Disney defender up until now......

Posts #1 & 2

The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming" - Great it will look traditional. One issue solved.

"Itíll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items." - They aren't saying its the same stuff they were selling, they said they'lll sell pastries just like all Starbucks do.

My personal favorite line that confirms the above statement as true: "And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gastonís Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.Ē In other words. You will not find them at the Bakery, go somewhere else.

Post # 3

What makes Disney World great is its uniqueness. We know have an Edyís ice cream shop bumping up against a Starbucks. Why not close the Emporium and open a GAP? Whatís the difference?
Sell the Starbucks coffee, by all means, Iím a fan. Just replace the stuff they sell in those carts all over the place. Replacing a bakery with a coffee shop is an astonishing case of a company being blind to its own product. You want to replace the pastries please do, but do something I canít by at my local mall.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

To add, What th first amendment prevents is government censorship of speech (which even has court defined limits). As tjkraz said, private sites are under no obligation to let you say what you want. What they can't do is alter you statements attributing something to you that you don't say (So they can't change "I hate Starbucks" to "I love Starbucks").

It's why protestors on public land aren't arrested for protesting, but for trespassing, disturbing the peace, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
On its own website, Disney can do whatever it wishes. Freedom of speech doesn't apply.

If you walk into a McDonald's and try to convince patrons that they should go to Burger King, management can ask you to leave (and involve the authorities if you refuse.)

If you go to a Honda dealership and urge customers to buy Ford instead, they can throw you out. It's private property and they have no obligation to provide a platform for you to air your opinions.

Same principle for a website. If they don't like what you have to say, the comments can be removed / blocked and you could even be banned from accessing the site. Even the DIS management has such rights as operators of this website.

Bottom line is you are a guest on their site--on ANY website--and if site owners don't like what you have to say, they have every legal right to censor the comments.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Disney run operations do not condone descention...nor ever will.

As stated...that's standard corporate business practice.

Also...I can't believe how overblown this bakery thing is...

Really? After they jack prices for ten years and load their 6,000 giftshops with the cheapest, unimaginative crap possible...
THIS is where we want to draw the line?

Starbucks over Nescafť? That's the "Waterloo" moment?
Some folks might just be a tad late to the party
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

Really? After they jack prices for ten years and load their 6,000 giftshops with the cheapest, unimaginative crap possible...

:thumbsup 2

SERIOUSLY!!! I think people are just getting thier feathers ruffled because it is one "big Corp" joining forces with another "big Corp" that now it looks like yet antother attempt to fleece Joe Consumer. I personnally, don't care for Starbucks coffee, but ADORE thier scones and muffins!!! However, even Starbucks (to me) is better than the swill the sell currently.

FWIW, all of you "Defenders of the Bakery" we had breakfast there 2 weeks ago, and yes I bought the enormous cinnamon roll.There was absolutely NOTHING special about it, other than it's size. I also bought the breakfast sandwich on the croissant, again nothing special. Actually, this bordered on "Yuck" rubbery eggs, stuffed with a couple slices of processed ham, slathered in WAY too much processed yellow cheese. Where is the originality in that? I have several local bakeries that serve better and fresher stuff. Including real coffee, again, unlike the Nescafe crap Disney has been passing off.

People have been complaining about Disney Coffee for EONS!!! Don't you think that maybe this is thier answer to that giant outcry? However Misguided as it may seem to you DotB, at least it seems as if they are making an attempt to please some of its consumers (and I would have to bet, that by "some" that means a good majority, because Disney (and starbucks for that fact) are not run by a bunch of idiots who do things without extensive marketing research. They answered an almost universal cry of "WE WANT BETTER COFFEE" with a brand that is tried and true to be exactly that. (At least with a majority vote within whatever "researchees" were available)
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

You're not really questioning that Dis'ers brand loyalty be balanced by some judicious use of common sense are you?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2
You're not really questioning that Dis'ers brand loyalty be balanced by some judicious use of common sense are you?
that might be where the miscalculation occurred...
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: