Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #46
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARVEYSGIRL View Post
I am happy to report that the charges were dismissed by the court. My son cannot speak well and has such a low IQ they deemed him unfit to stand trial. I am soooo relieved. I do not thinnk it is acceptable to be violent but having him arrested tought him nothing and accomplished nothing.

He is in a new school this year in a new special ed room. So fingers crossed!
Thanks for the update. Here's hoping for a much better year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #47
jas792
Earning My Ears

texas ugh

gee why wasnt i surprised that this happened in texas ---
they have to be the most backward state inthe country whenit comesto special needs students -- so sorry for you and your son
jas792 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #48
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
I was giving examples of situations that could evolve from a 'flailing fit', and that getting deliberately kicked was one of them. Also, once a child is on the floor, throwing a fit, all learning has stopped in that room, so the other students need to be removed so their learning can continue, somehow, somewhere. One needs to remember that there is more than one child in the classroom. Some people tend to forget that quite quickly.

My daughter was placed in a class that had a significant number of children with behavioral issues. She was not one of them. She learned nothing that year, (except some cool new swear words,) and spent a lot of time being evacuated from her classroom.

Did the OP state that the child had no ability to understand intent? If this 11 year old child has no ability to understand cause and reaction, then a more restrictive environment needs to be found immediately. The other kids need to be kept safe. The other kids do not need to worry about being hurt, stabbed with a compass point or a pair of scissors, ducking flying chairs (which has happened to students in our district, until I put my foot down and refused to let it continue - by filing assault charges). They also have a right to FAPE.

All this can be fixed without the hyperbole of an overreaction. No need for a lawyer, a court case, or a news story. Just some common sense on both sides, parents and school system, to find the appropriate, safe placement.
and having worked in ESE at the elementary level, I agree with you here. No parent of a child in that room wants their child to be in harms way. I have seen all sides of this. The first thing to do when it gets to this point is to evac others from the room (and sadly there is no learning going on). While he may only be on the floor at this time, I have seen them get up off the floor and fling desks, chairs and computers. Were they arrested, no never and they should not be either, but they do not need to be in a room where there is no other violence going on. There are others in the room that need to be protected as well. Your post sums it up perfect.
on a side note, I am happy to see charges were dropped.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: