Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
thomascaldwell1
DIS Veteran

Autograph Book Alternative Ideas?

I have DD2 and DD7 who have ALWAYS had their own autograph book for each of our annual trips to WDW. We are going back in May 2013 when they will be 3 & 8. On this trip, we will be joined by family friends that have a DS8 (at the time of travel). My oldest seems to be okay with the idea that we're thinking of skipping the autograph books this year, but, sadly, it's ME that's not sure I'm okay with it! DH would prefer to cut out some of the hassle of meeting the characters since we are going during a busier time frame than we are used to, we assume we will feel rushed to move along because of the long lines (a Southern courtesy instilled in us?). The hassle of having to take the autograph from one or both children, and writing utensil, get out of the shot, so the girls can have their photos, then dropping everything to get a family photo, then picking everything up to move to the next character/ride.

So, I am looking to see if anyone has any creative ideas or solutions to the 'hassle' of a traditional autograph book? I suggested to my husband having the characters simply sign our t-shirts since we have shirts screen printed at our local screen printers before we travel each year (so we can all match for picture and tracking purposes). Just looking to see what other ideas that are easier to manage during high crowd level trips you all might have? Thanks in advance!!

thomascaldwell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
mgrace79
Mouseketeer

I think they only sign shirts as long as they aren't being worn. Hope that helps
mgrace79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

How about doing character meals instead of standing in line for the meet-&-greets? You can get 3 - 4 character signings at one meal, and not have to wait in line. We had three autograph books on our Nov. 1 trip and the characters didn't mind signing 3 in a row at any of the meals (or at any of the meet-&-greets either).

Or maybe have the characters sign a mat for a picture frame, and then use it with a family photo (maybe in front of the castle) when you get home?
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Jayana
Remember, when you become obsessed with something, you stop making sense to other people.

Characters can only sign apparel that isn't being worn. The best way to avoid all the hassle is a character meal, but in MK, Mickey and the princesses have fastpass.

You shouldn't feel rushed because of a line. Attendants know how long a good meet and greet takes, and cut the line at that point for each time the character is out. Just listen to them when they say to have your things ready! A whole stack of books that is open to the right page takes less time to sign than a single one that isn't ready.

Another good alternative to the autograph book itself is to have them sign your bag! Just get a good fabric marker, and a canvas tote or a backpack that is light enough in color and a good material to write on. I left a book in mine so they had something hard to write on, and now I have a really neat, unique bag. It feels more worth it than a book that just sits on a shelf.
Jayana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
autismmom
Earning My Ears

Pillowcases also make great keepsakes. I read you need to have an embroidery hoop so the fabric is taught enough to sign. They can be embroidered with the childs name and date of visit, and minnie or mickey head. or I was also thinking of doing quilt squares, (if you sew or know someone that can make a very simple quilt) this is also a good idea.

Lynne
Mom of a mickey and a minnie
autismmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

Wink

Last year or so I had found an apron at walmart (a blank one) that i brought to Disney World to get signed by my friend's favorite characters. They looked awesome. Donald Duck did a huge autograph which is great cuz he is her favorite.

Another thing i was thinking bout is that when you get the autographs you can get those color things to make them 3d that you trace over them.

if you don't have an apron, you can also do a tote bag. that would be soo cool.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

You could do a single photo mat that you put in a frame. That way its not multiple things being signed, just one and then when you get home you can put a nice family photo from the trip in it and put it somewhere the whole family can enjoy.

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

I bought the autograph book for my dd's first trip this summer. I was also planning on buying some picture matte boards for special characters to sign as something special for her first trip. Not sure if I am going to get all her favorites on one board or do a bunch of them

mike : maddie samicasey
chipdale74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
KitkatLogan
Earning My Ears

I was thinking of getting the little Disney paint strip things at Home Depot and getting characters to sign that. When I get back home, I could put the strips with the corresponding picture. Would that work? I don't want to buy the Disney Autograph books, but I still want the characters autographs.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
mssong85
Mouseketeer

Why don't you print out some pages from the DISign forum. I am making a Halloween themed scrapbook for the characters to sign. I will add the photos later.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
KitkatLogan
Earning My Ears

Thank you! My parents think I'm crazy for wanting to do something other than an autograph book.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
mssong85
Mouseketeer

I think I am doing mine 8x8 then having it spiral bound at kinkos. I am also trying to make a matching planner. I am still working out what I want to do for that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: