Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
danda22
Earning My Ears

Question need creative ideas for telling kids we are going to WDW

We will be going to WDW the first week of June 2013 for our first time. It is our first big vacation. We have talked about it and the kids think it may be in our future as we tell them we are saving money for it. We have booked our resort and are set on the time and now we would just like to tell them. I was thinking of telling them on Christmas. They are 9 & 10. Only thing I could come up with was letting them open the plane ticket or event ticket.... want something a little more creative I think. welcome to ideas!!
danda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
jcof616
Earning My Ears

When I took my nieces and nephews we let them know on Christmas with a call from Mickey Mouse. It was funny because when my sister handed the phone to them instead of hitting the speaker, she hung up on him. Of course being the great mouse he is he called back.
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
gelebean2
Earning My Ears

Mayb make a scavenger hunt game with clues they need to solve the clues to find that last christmas present(s) n let them find airline tickets, pass, brochure whatever all in a box. Mayb mickey stuffies for each.
gelebean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
welshybird82
Earning My Ears

Maybe get a big box with their names on with a helium balloon of Mickey Mouse in with the words were going to Disney world on, it will float up out of the box when they open it xx
welshybird82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
myzel
Mouseketeer

What we did was make a sort of scrap book with Disney pictures, add copies of your reservation/ plane tickets/ what ever you want. Just make sure you have your camera ready, it takes a couple seconds for them to understand what it all means.
myzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
micahwumbo
Earning My Ears

Dang, telling them early will be torture! I know it's torture waiting for my Disneyland tickets to come!
micahwumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
djblu883
DIS Veteran

If you want to surprise them wait til much closer to time. For a child that wait may as well be years!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
jnhjlh
Earning My Ears

hello

we are going in Feb and it will be a xmas gift to my 11 & 14 yr old.
We are making them do a scavenger hunt around the house for disney items lastly they will find a key to a suitcase that will contain a ticket to disneyland. that is how we announcing our trip
jnhjlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
rebeccalb10
Mouseketeer

You may want to save this for Easter. Also see if you can get park maps and let them create a tour plan after you tell them.
rebeccalb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
disneyjes
Earning My Ears

I love the idea of a scavenger hunt! Super cute.

We're thinking of telling our son while he's playing the Disneyland kinect game. Not sure yet how we'd do it though! We were going to wait until the day we are leaving but we really want him to be part of the planning process too since I find that to be just as fun as going on vacation.

Good luck! <3

disneyjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Males1011
Earning My Ears

Don't tell them.

Imagine their reaction when they're getting ready to board a plane, being shuttled around, and ending up in WDW. I think that would be pretty priceless.

Jonathan (29)~! Cheryl (DGF24)
Males1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Musicalmommy
Earning My Ears

We are cruising in Feb and doing 3 days disneyworld post cruise. Our kids are 3, 5 and 7. We are telling them at Christmas.

First off before they open anything I will be explaining to them that this LAST present they get to open now, but they will not get to use until February. I don't want them getting any ideas that we are loading a plane that day. They will want to go right then otherwise.

I am getting my stuff together.. so far we have

1. Clothes to wear on the trip. I can still dress my kids in matching Disney atire so they will get a couple of those outfits for the trip. Including their pirate night outfits for the cruise.
2. I put a kids Disney World planning guide on reserve at the library yesterday and had them put a delay on it. It will be ready for me to pick up their last day of school before break. My 7 year old is gifted and will be ready to read through the whole thing and will be a walking Disney expert by the end of the week I am more than sure.. Which in turn is nice so I don't have to remember all the details. HA!
3.Small Light up toys, we are getting a couple light up toys to take with us to avoid buying them while we are there at the fireworks shows etc.
4. The Disney Cruise planning DVD will be included in their gift. We have kept it hidden from them but it is just as good as any ticket since when you open the flap it says "Welcome Aboard Weber Family!" I am sure that will give them the hint they need.
5. Other things they have but will use on the trip will be included in the gift. Like their sunglasses that they never use in winter, but we will need ready for the trip I will toss in the gift as well.
6. Disney Gift Card. Each of them will have their own gift card to unwrap. Although we get to keep track of the cards afterwards.
7. A countdown paper chain. I plan on putting a link on the chain for each day they have to wait for the trip so they can see how many days they will need to wait. After Advent calendars this month... they will totally have this concept down. Much better than, "Do we go tomorrow??? Do we go tomorrow??? Do we go tomorrow???"

All will be inside a piece of luggage and the luggage wrapped and saved for last.

Lucky for us we just decided on our trip in November and don't have as long of a wait. I am already going nuts... Can't wait until I can chat Disney with the kids. Yet I am with the other people in your group and would wait until Easter. 6 months is a LONG time.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Musicalmommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Males1011 View Post
Don't tell them.

Imagine their reaction when they're getting ready to board a plane, being shuttled around, and ending up in WDW. I think that would be pretty priceless.
Our family could never do this.. we have one child who just needs time to get used to things. Jumping on a plane last minute would throw him into a complete panic! He is going to need the couple of months notice to talk to others who have been, watch the DVD's etc so he knows what to expect.

My other two could totally handle that though and it does look fun. But you really need to keep in mind the temperment of the kids to know if it will backfire or not.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

We bought some of the books (hidden mickeys, etc) and will wrap those up - they will be the last gifts the kids are allowed to open on Christmas day. Just trying to decide how to do the big reveal though.....love the idea of balloons in a box with a note attached. Was also thinking we may piece together a little Powerpoint slideshow of a bunch of pictures from our trips to WDW previously and then at the end - have the final slide say that we are going in January? Not sure yet. And time is running out