Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Want to plan Girls' Trip, but two girls are Disney Resistors... Can I convince them?

Hi!
In 2014 my friends and I will all turn 50, and I have a dream to celebrate in WDW. One friend is also a disney nut, so for her and I it seems a no-brainer. Celebration of a lifetime = Disney! She suggested that we include our "group" of girlfriends. We all went to HS together and have remained close, though we live all over the world. OK, sounds like fun, thought I. But when we mentioned it to the other 4, two said "Great idea to celebrate 50 together, but Disney would not be my first choice".
As I see it, here are our choices:
1. Keep it Disney, and whoever joins in, welcome!
2. Say it is first and foremost about the friends being together, and be open to other destinations.
3. Make it first and foremost about the friends and just try really hard to convince them to come to Disney.

Can you guys on this board help me with clever points that I can use to convince them???? I want to "sell" it to adults. Of the two Resistors one has been to Disney once with her family during a busy summer, and one has never been.
TIA

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Try to talk up events like the Food and Wine festival, Flower and Garden Show, eating and drinking around the world, etc. Play up more adult resorts, such as The Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge or Boardwalk Inn. If their idea of fun is lounging in the sun with an umbrella drink in hand, show them the pools and mention some of the stuff there is to do at resorts. I know from personal experience that some people enjoy knowing there is something there that is more than just a kid experience. Oh, and don't get the planning DVD for the two holdouts. . .its geared towards kids.

It is only 2 of 6 girls. I would also be open to their suggestions. Sometimes just having other options on the table helps everyone get some perspective. In the end, it really is in everyone's best interest to take on everyone's opinions. You will all enjoy the vacation much more if everyone agrees.

Since I don't know what your friends like to do, maybe that is where to start. Take their interests to heart and play up those features of a vacation.

Good luck with your planning. You have lots of time to work on them.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse.darcy View Post
Try to talk up events like the Food and Wine festival, Flower and Garden Show, eating and drinking around the world, etc. Play up more adult resorts, such as The Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge or Boardwalk Inn. If their idea of fun is lounging in the sun with an umbrella drink in hand, show them the pools and mention some of the stuff there is to do at resorts. I know from personal experience that some people enjoy knowing there is something there that is more than just a kid experience. Oh, and don't get the planning DVD for the two holdouts. . .its geared towards kids.

It is only 2 of 6 girls. I would also be open to their suggestions. Sometimes just having other options on the table helps everyone get some perspective. In the end, it really is in everyone's best interest to take on everyone's opinions. You will all enjoy the vacation much more if everyone agrees.

Since I don't know what your friends like to do, maybe that is where to start. Take their interests to heart and play up those features of a vacation.

Good luck with your planning. You have lots of time to work on them.
Thanks! Good tip about the planning DVD! Today I made myself notes on all the countries in the World Showcase, so that I can use that, too. Like you said, we have time to work on it. And I did open up the conversation to hear where they think we should go. Even though I am sure I'm going to get them all to Disney eventually.

Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, Grand Floridian ... yes!

!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I took three girlfriends from work and we had a blast.

Definitely keep it Disney and keep in mind things to do for adult time; hanging out at the pool, catching a drink in the lounge, catching some nice meals and "dress" up, etc.

One of my friends was resistant, but when we were watching the Main Street parade. She waved wildly at Eeyore and he wildly waved to her. He is her favorite; she even has Eeyore pajamas.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "You were right, it REALLY is real."

It was a memory I will never forget.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Spas may win over your resistors......
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I took three girlfriends from work and we had a blast.

Definitely keep it Disney and keep in mind things to do for adult time; hanging out at the pool, catching a drink in the lounge, catching some nice meals and "dress" up, etc.

One of my friends was resistant, but when we were watching the Main Street parade. She waved wildly at Eeyore and he wildly waved to her. He is her favorite; she even has Eeyore pajamas.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "You were right, it REALLY is real."

It was a memory I will never forget.
Beautiful! This is one of my worries - if I "make" them go along with Disney and they don't have fun. But who can not have fun at WDW??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
Spas may win over your resistors......
YES!

!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Why not mix it up with a DCL and then a park visit?
The friends who do not want to go to the parks can skip it if they so choose; that way you can have time with them but they can get out of something they do not want to do.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
artnerds
That's just unproFESSIONAL, gurl.

If all else fails, try a chloroform-soaked rag and two burlaps sacks.

No, but seriously...

Saratoga Springs might be the perfect resort to lure them. It is very resort-like and not just Disney-resort-like. It has an awesome spa. It has GREAT pools. It is a short walk or boat ride to Downtown Disney so you have lots of dining and entertainment options. And the price point is excellent compared to the Grand Floridian, which is the other resort that comes to mind for you.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
totsnblocks
My Family Loves All Things Disney

Solutions

If the resistors are willing to go to Orlando then like another post mentioned you could do parks with the ones that are willing. Then the others could find plenty of other options of things to do in Orlando or nearby. I hope this helps but good luck with convincing them that Disney is the only way.

Christy
totsnblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
rigs32
DIS Veteran

Spas. Golf. Water parks. Nice restaurants. Plan a day resort hopping to see the themes.

Do your friends drink? Share a drink in each Epcot country. Monorail pub crawl.

What kind of budget do you have? Rent DVC points to get a condo. Or do the Delux plan for the minimum number of nights to cover the golf, Cirque, tours, fancy meals, water sports.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Thanks all! I think I might just do the chloroform routine! After all, they just don't understand what fun they're going to have! The current alternative suggestion is to rent a beach house and sit around getting to know each other again. Now I like the beach, and I want lots of time to talk to my friends, but ... BORING. So I'm working on my sales pitch. Stay tuned!!

!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
pixie08
DIS Veteran

If you are doing a girls trip, then focus on the new amazing spa at the GF, high tea at the GF, swanky dining at a signature restaurant, another spa visit maybe wishes fireworks cruise and a tour like segways around EPCOT or Wild Africa Trek (amazing!).

Of course those thing are expensive but doing even a few will make it a very adult and luxurious "girls" trip. What month are you planning?

Stay at the Beach club! or take a few days away from the park and head to Disney's Vero beach (2 hours south) for a beach break.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
Thanks all! I think I might just do the chloroform routine! After all, they just don't understand what fun they're going to have! The current alternative suggestion is to rent a beach house and sit around getting to know each other again. Now I like the beach, and I want lots of time to talk to my friends, but ... BORING. So I'm working on my sales pitch. Stay tuned!!
Maybe you just don't understand the fun you'll have at the beach!
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: