Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Arts and Crafts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Does anyone here knit?

I used to be able to crochet but it has been years since I have picked up a needle. I can sew as long as it is pretty basic. I can quilt. I don't use a sewing machine. They make nervous. I injure myself rather often. LOL and usually in the dumbest possible way.

But I keep thinking I would like to learn to knit. Is it hard to teach yourself? Thanks for any advice you can give me!
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Cynth
Mouseketeer

I do knit.
I learned it when I was little, about 8 or something from my grandma, but I never liked it.
now that I'm much older, I love to knit. As a kid I just learnde the easiest stitch. So I teached myself to increase and decrease. Everytime I find an abreviation or stitch that I don't know, I just type it into youtube, and I usually find a good video that explains and shows exactly what to do.

i tried to learn it from a book, but I couldn't figure the stitches out, with ounly the pictures and no video.
I don' know if it is ok to post a link in here, so if it is not, i'wll just remove it, as soon as I know about it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/verypinkknits
I learned a lot from this site.I did my first sweater from this site and i really loved it. The video is named "learn how to knit a womens sweater". the instructions are very easy to follow, and it is free. The sweater is fitted during the knitting, you can try it on and then adjust, so it will always fit you.

hope this helps you a bit.

Book challenge : 6 of 30
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
ready123go
DIS Veteran

I knit (haven't had the time in a couple years). I taught myself, but I've taught myself nearly every skill I have (cooking, etc.). So, if you tend to teach yourself things, you should have no problem picking it up out of a book or two. And, as pp said, now with the internet it is super easy to figure things out.

The hardest thing to master (at least for me) was the cast-on. Now I use a needle about two or three times larger than the size I am going to knit on. Just get a pretty and inexpensive (not too cheap) ball of yarn to practice with. And be prepared to screw up your first piece or two.

I tried to teach myself to both crochet and knit when I was a kid, but I could never get the hang of it. Now, easy-peasey. You can do it! GL
Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

My nana taught me to crochet as a child and I still enjoy it, but knitting is so much more relaxing to me. I taught myself, same as the other posters, with a book and the internet. However, I know the knitting classes at Michael's (if you have one near you) are supposed to be really fun too.

Good luck to you!

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
YoYoAurora

Pity my DH! It's a looooong list
And now back to my usual ignore all schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
I used to be able to crochet but it has been years since I have picked up a needle. I can sew as long as it is pretty basic. I can quilt. I don't use a sewing machine. They make nervous. I injure myself rather often. LOL and usually in the dumbest possible way.

But I keep thinking I would like to learn to knit. Is it hard to teach yourself? Thanks for any advice you can give me!
I'm a knitter, and I crochet too. If you learned to crochet, you can learn to knit. I don't know how hard it is to teach yourself to knit. Mom taught me when I was about 6.

I'd try to find a local class. Your library or local activity center may have classes. Many times, those are free. You might also check the activities section of the local paper. I know I see lots of knitting circles from churches and local groups who will teach you to knit at little or no charge.

Your local hobby store or yarn store should also have classes, but they do usually charge for those, and you usually have to buy your class materials from their store.

If you lived close enough to me, I'd teach you to knit.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

I would love to learn to knit and crochet. I cross stitch a lot and sew but I have yet to be able to knit or crochet

mike : maddie samicasey
chipdale74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

I taught myself how to knit using youtube videos. I tried buying a learning kit and tried to learn by the book in it. I just couldn't learn by it. It wasn't until watching videos over and over that I figured it out.
Here is a picture of the current project that I just finished very early Thanksgiving morning....

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

That is awesome!! I am going to check out you tube videos

mike : maddie samicasey
chipdale74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
sewmess
DIS Veteran

I crochet and knit and did teach myself both with lots of help from tutorial videos.

I don't remember any specific ones, but You-Tube is a great place.

Really, once you master the cast on, the rest is gravy. . .and like gravy can be lumpy sometimes.

have fun learning!!

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: