Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
undchefreak
Mouseketeer

Solo trip planning. Help me fill in the blanks please

So now that my DVC purchase was snapped up by Disney, I am making plans to stay in a value resort and tour all of the other DVC properties to decide which I want (OKW is getting snatched up more often, moving on).

Here are my plans.
Book Hotel only reservation at value resort and pay OOP for food. Pre-purchase a 10 day non expiring PH with water park option (planning on using 2 days this trip, and I know I'll be back; I enjoy the WP's but won't in January)
Arrive Saturday in January mid afternoon
Go to DTD and explore
Eat lunch or dinner at Earl of Sandwich
Continue exploring
Sunday - Parks (at least 2 based on crowd level, will also consider attending EMH if more than 1 hour) No ideas for food, other than cinnamon roll at Main Street Bakery for breakfast
Monday - Explore the DVC resorts. Go to a DVC presentation and try to get some FP's for Tuesday (I'm not sure if they work the next day, but if they do awesome). No concrete ideas for food yet, but I would like to try Beaches and Cream. I'm a big dessert person
Tueday - another park day, use FP from yesterday at HS TSMM.

For food, I'm not getting a dining plant, and I'm open to both TS and CS. I would like to do 2 TS meals (to be paid for with gift certs from work).

I just went to Disney with a friend for 4 days in September and we had a blast (ate at LeCellier, Tutto, and Kona), but she is NOT a fan of anything outside the USA, and I want to live anywhere but here, so I did EPCOT WS alone, and really enjoyed it, but felt rushed to just be done with it.

I am looking for suggestions around this plant. I'm stuck on food especially (I'm a meat and potatoes person with cravings for non-spicy flair as well), but would take suggestions on attractions that may be easily missed. I am a read-every-single-word-in-the-museum kind of person, so don't limit attractions to only thrill ride .

Thanks for any input!

1st Disney Visit - DL 1991 stayed with family (as a child)
1999 May Pop Movies
2009 May DW Offsite
2012 Sept Coronodo
2013 new DVC member!
2013 Jan Split stay SSR and OKW
2013 Oct DL at VGC
2014 Jan OKW
undchefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Skysdad
Believe in the Magic

Why not rent points and actually stay in the accommodations you are considering. I have rented points in the past and it was always cheaper than booking a package. A value in mid January Sunday-Thursday is $101. A value room at AKL is 9 points (I have seen points as low as $9 p/p)

In regards to food my son and I really enjoyed O'Hana's and Sci-Fi. My wife and I enjoyed Boma very much. In regards to your dessert craving don't even think about the kitchen sink (lol) I enjoyed watching a 16yo eat it however.

In regards to your purchase I have stayed at OKW,AKL, and WL and if I had my choice it would be AK just because of the animals and the great views.

Good Luck!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

When I went solo, my favourite meal was in France at Epcot in the bakery (la boulangerie) where I got a ham and swiss on a croissant heated and a lemon tart that was huge for only about $5.00. Loved the atmosphere sitting alone at a cafe table for two. Also, at HS Starring Rolls cafe is awesome for cupcakes and sandwiches. At DTD, my favourite is Wolfgang Puck Express - classed as a counter service, but lots of indoor seating - the bacon-wrapped meatloaf on a bed of mashed potatoes is to die for!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
undchefreak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluveeyore View Post
At DTD, my favourite is Wolfgang Puck Express - classed as a counter service, but lots of indoor seating - the bacon-wrapped meatloaf on a bed of mashed potatoes is to die for!
Meatloaf and Mashed potatos?? I will definitely be stopping there

1999 May Pop Movies
2009 May DW Offsite
2012 Sept Coronodo
2013 new DVC member!
2013 Oct DL at VGC
2014 Jan OKW
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Kae
DIS Veteran

I think you should try Chef de France & maybe GF Cafe. Also Sunshine Seasons at the Land. Have a great trip.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Not sure if you heard this before but the fast passes must be used within window now. They are thoroughly checking. . .A 10 day non expiring pass with water park option is almost the same price as an ap. I would sooooo gooooo with the AP if you plan on coming back within the year.
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
undchefreak
Mouseketeer

The FP's that I'm referring to are the immediate use FP's that DVC gives out for your time on a tour. As for the AP, I don't expect to go more than twice in the next year, and one of those times will be DL, so an AP wouldn't really be beneficial. The 10 day ticket also has the 10 days of non park/water park time. This can be used FOREVER (or until gone ) and I don't foresee myself using the park tickets up for about 3 years. A 5 day pass is much cheaper, but for the short trips that I like to take, not practical.

This may or may not happen now, since I just put another offer on a DVC resale. Here's hoping it's not noticed by the ROFR team...

1999 May Pop Movies
2009 May DW Offsite
2012 Sept Coronodo
2013 new DVC member!
2013 Oct DL at VGC
2014 Jan OKW

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: