Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Goofy'sPal
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 85

Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween

Hi Im 29m single, soon to bee 30 and have a question. Starting to be in planing stages of my next Walt Disney World Vacation and stuck between another May vacation or an October vacation. Does MNSSH make sense for a 30yr old single male or would I feel too old, weird being there by my self? Whats it like, is it really basically trick or treating for an extra $62? Can someone please clear this up and give better explanation of MNSSH to me. If so it would be greatly appreciated.
Also another question about October. Since the sun sets earlier do the parks close earlier? When I last went on vacation it was in May and I remember staying out in the parks pretty late especially Magic Kingdom.
Goofy'sPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
jnoble82
Mouseketeer
 
jnoble82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 246

I just went (ironically for my 30th birthday) and I had a good time. The parade is different, there's fireworks, a Villians show (its really short but you see characters you don't often see), characters out and about (just tip, if you're 5' tall DON'T stand in the back with the seven dwarves. that led to a funny yet sad picture considering I waited for almost 45 minutes for a photo with them), the rides are open. My mother, who went with me, got sick right before the second parade (and we had an AWESOME spot so if you wait for the 10:30, it won't be that crowded) so we had to leave though I did get to catch the headless horsemen. The dance crew came through and pulled people out of the crowd to dance while we waited for the parade (we were near Main Street). If you LOVE Halloween, you'll probably enjoy it. I only did a few rides but there wasn't much of a wait. Mickey's party ends at midnight and I was at Magic Kingdom until midnight a couple of other times too. I think my first day MK was open until 1am! I hope that helps and that others come in and can offer their advice as well.
__________________
Jen
All-Star Movies 10/29-11/4 2012, Pop 9/24-10/1 2013, Disneyland 9/28-10/3
jnoble82 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran
 
MADnNOLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 680

Go!

I am 45 and went solo this year to MNSSHP and loved it! I dressed up and wandered the park taking pictures and having my pictures taken. I did not participate in the trick or treating (I didn't get a bag at entry and regretted it). I was able to ride anything I wanted - no lines. The parade and fireworks were GREAT. The fireworks are different from the nightly fireworks show.

I missed part of the Villians show, but what I saw was very fun. You get a chance to see so many characters that are not available during the rest of the year.

I will definitely go again should I get the chance!

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
jnoble82
Mouseketeer
 
jnoble82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 246

My comical picture. Can you spot me?!
__________________
Jen
All-Star Movies 10/29-11/4 2012, Pop 9/24-10/1 2013, Disneyland 9/28-10/3
jnoble82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Goofy'sPal
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 85

nice pretty funny. So was that taken during MNSSHP? Cuz never see them there expect met Dopey last time was at MK.
Goofy'sPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
jnoble82
Mouseketeer
 
jnoble82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy'sPal
nice pretty funny. So was that taken during MNSSHP? Cuz never see them there expect met Dopey last time was at MK.
Yes. The dwarves are rarely out as a full set or at least that's what I'm lead to believe. Probably a logistical thing. Maybe they will be out more when "their" ride opens in 2014.
__________________
Jen
All-Star Movies 10/29-11/4 2012, Pop 9/24-10/1 2013, Disneyland 9/28-10/3
jnoble82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Gwijie
Disney Die-Hard
 
Gwijie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 21

My wife and I usually vacation at Disney for three weeks a year from the last two weeks in October into the first week in November, and the first week is usually one of the Disney cruises. I have been there in May, and though it's been years, it was jammed packed. The Fall is not off-peak, but I still like it better and the weather is great. We absolutely love Mickey's Halloween Party. The lines for the rides seem to be somewhat thinner, and none at all towards the end of the evening. If you get reservations in time you can have dinner in the park and then just wander around. The parade and the fireworks are great as well. Hey...it's Disney...you're never too old. If you want something more adult themed, then the Halloween Horror Nights at Universal is pretty good, at least for the "horrific" special effects value.
Gwijie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends
 
geffric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 10,307

Fall is the best..IMHO..The parks plus MNSSHP and Food and Wine..I have gone solo many times and this is the best time to be solo...
__________________
Offical Holder of the TAGLIARCHY Chocolate Chip Pancake Maker


geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Goofy'sPal
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by geffric View Post
Fall is the best..IMHO..The parks plus MNSSHP and Food and Wine..I have gone solo many times and this is the best time to be solo...
thank you for that. By the way whats IMHO mean? I dont know all shorthand codes. Last time I went solo and am planing on going solo again.
Goofy'sPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Goofy'sPal
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwijie View Post
My wife and I usually vacation at Disney for three weeks a year from the last two weeks in October into the first week in November, and the first week is usually one of the Disney cruises. I have been there in May, and though it's been years, it was jammed packed. The Fall is not off-peak, but I still like it better and the weather is great. We absolutely love Mickey's Halloween Party. The lines for the rides seem to be somewhat thinner, and none at all towards the end of the evening. If you get reservations in time you can have dinner in the park and then just wander around. The parade and the fireworks are great as well. Hey...it's Disney...you're never too old. If you want something more adult themed, then the Halloween Horror Nights at Universal is pretty good, at least for the "horrific" special effects value.
Thank you for your response. Wow 3 weeks in Disney sounds nice
I went in May 2008 and the parks really weren't that bad. Some lines long but most either short or got right on and fastpass helped at times. Thank for the insight.
Goofy'sPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
mlamanna1701
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy'sPal
By the way whats IMHO mean? I dont know all shorthand codes.
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
mlamanna1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
Goofy'sPal
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamanna1701 View Post
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
ty wasn't sure
Goofy'sPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo
 
NJDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 1,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy'sPal View Post
Hi Im 29m single, soon to bee 30 and have a question. Starting to be in planing stages of my next Walt Disney World Vacation and stuck between another May vacation or an October vacation. Does MNSSH make sense for a 30yr old single male or would I feel too old, weird being there by my self? Whats it like, is it really basically trick or treating for an extra $62? Can someone please clear this up and give better explanation of MNSSH to me. If so it would be greatly appreciated.
Also another question about October. Since the sun sets earlier do the parks close earlier? When I last went on vacation it was in May and I remember staying out in the parks pretty late especially Magic Kingdom.
I actually go May and October (except this year, I cruised in October); May for my birthday and October for MNSSHP...I have to tell you I never feel out of place (although admittedly my trips are mostly solo anyway). You need to go!! and really, you could pull off the two trips if you wanted to. I don't know how long you stay but it is possible. when I go in October, I get in as early as possible for not-so-scary normally 4 or 5PM), I trick or treat (twice if I have time) watch the parade (you have to see the headless horseman) stay for fireworks. even if you don't dress up, you will have a great time especially if you have a favorite villian, you can take your picture with them which is fabulous, it's also the only time you see all 7 dwarfs together.
__________________
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way...



NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
Gwijie
Disney Die-Hard
 
Gwijie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 21

Food and Wine Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by geffric View Post
Fall is the best..IMHO..The parks plus MNSSHP and Food and Wine..I have gone solo many times and this is the best time to be solo...
We had a ball at the Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT this year. Went to a Sam Adams beer tasting seminar and a presentation on cooking pork roast, that came with a sampling and actually a generous portion of wine. The Disney Dining Plan is great for this. We were able to blow through our snacks. In fact, the lobster rolls (not sandwiches!!!!!) at the American Experience count as a snack and I think I had five of them one day. The giant sushi roll at the Japanese pavillion is also awesome. Aw hell...it's all good.... We had just come off the Fantasy where we...ate a lot...to Disney where we...ate even more.... Still trying to work off those extra 10 lbs. Months to loose them, days to add them. Sigh.....
Gwijie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #15
Gwijie
Disney Die-Hard
 
Gwijie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 21

I live overseas so when I go back home to the US, I have to make it worth while, as those flights back and forth are just painful to endure. One week was on the Fantasy, two were at Disney world. I went to Disney World three times in May: 1994, 1995, and 1997 and it was jammed packed each time, with thunder storms every afternoon. So, I try to avoid it. No kids, so we can pick and choose.
Gwijie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.