DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
TinkandGoofy'sMom
Mouseketeer

OKW purchase

We are in the process of trying to purchase more DVC points through resale. Our first experience didn't work out....our offer for points at OKW did not pass ROFR (as I know many don't). Should I try again for OKW? At what price do you think it will pass? I was doing a lot of research and comparisons today, and OKW seems like the best value for us. But if our offer won't pass ROFR, then it will be a waste of time! Any advice would be appreciated.

Aug 2008 POP
Dec 2009 POFQ
Jan 2011 POP
Oct 2011 AKV-Kidani
Jan 2012 OKW
Aug 2012 BWV & AKV
Oct 2012 sisters only at AKV-Kidani
Jan 2013 AKV-Jambo
Aug 2013 AKV & BLT
Up Next: Aulani Summer 2014
DVC owner @ AKV and SSR
TinkandGoofy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Buy your home resorts based on where you love to stay, not on best value or cheapest price. You get what you pay for.

OKW and SSR are usually available at less than 7 months so home resort booking advantage doesn't really help there.

Nothing worse than spending thousands of dollars for a contract and not being able to book where you really enjoy staying or having to settle on somewhere else because you didn't buy there.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
DenLo
DIS Veteran

You might want to check out the ROFR thread, http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3001288

They frequently have discussions of the price that OKW passes ROFR or which contracts were ROFR'd. Good luck, hope you get the contract and price you want.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

When you are purchasing OKW resale, be sure to check if they expire in 2042 or 2054 (not sure if that's the correct extended year). That could make a difference in the price.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

I have to agree with Bill. Buy at a place you want to stay if that were it and if OKW is the one, then keep at it.

While there are a lot of contracts that were bought back---sorry that your first attempt was one of them--there were a lot that went through.

IMO, pick the price point you think would still make it a good deal for you and go with that...

But, I don't think I would buy a different resort simply because you hope it gets through ROFR if that is not what you want. We spent what we did to own at the two places that remain our favorite--BLT and BWV.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
SpectroMan71
Mouseketeer

I was all for purchasing OKW as first choice until the dues went up. For a while there, they were the cheapest. Guess it went to paying for the latest room remodel, but that should have been included all along.

I'm curious as to why Disney keeps buying these back now, even the 2042's.
SpectroMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Every time DVC buys an original OKW contract, they resell it as an extended contract. Because of the low number of owners that took the extension, they need to switch as many contracts over to be extended as possible and this is an easy way to do it.

Some wants to buy dvc direct but doesn't want to pay $150+, DVC can stir them towards OKW at $100. Large rooms, low point costs, and an extended contract make it look pretty good.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
Every time DVC buys an original OKW contract, they resell it as an extended contract. Because of the low number of owners that took the extension, they need to switch as many contracts over to be extended as possible and this is an easy way to do it.

Some wants to buy dvc direct but doesn't want to pay $150+, DVC can stir them towards OKW at $100. Large rooms, low point costs, and an extended contract make it look pretty good.
Doug, I am curious to see whether this tactic of ROFR'ing for OKW and then selling extended contracts directly will be successful for Disney. If it is, then they may consider extending current contracts for other resorts that expire in 2042 as well. They only make money selling "new" points and if they do not have a new resort yet to sell points, this becomes an interesting way to sell "new" direct points while a resort is being constructed. They would simply recycle older contracts by buying them through the ROFR process and repackaging them as new.

Stephen
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren90 View Post
Doug, I am curious to see whether this tactic of ROFR'ing for OKW and then selling extended contracts directly will be successful for Disney. If it is, then they may consider extending current contracts for other resorts that expire in 2042 as well. They only make money selling "new" points and if they do not have a new resort yet to sell points, this becomes an interesting way to sell "new" direct points while a resort is being constructed. They would simply recycle older contracts by buying them through the ROFR process and repackaging them as new.

Stephen
I'm sure they were hoping that more people bought the extention and right now they are probably just trying to make the best of a bad sitituation. The bad situation being that not enough OKW owners have extended contracts.

It will be interesting to see if they offer OKW owners another opportunity to extend once it gets closer to 2042. They could always make an offer every 10 years till 2042 just to try and get more extended contracts out there.

I'm curious what/when/if they announce any type of extension for BWV or if they just decide to let all the contracts expire and then renovate/rebuild and resell new direct contracts only at BWV.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: