Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

New Blog: Starbucks to Replace the Main Street Bakery at Magic Kingdom

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/11/...magic-kingdom/

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

More commercialization was certainly inevitable after things we have been seeing at DTD! It won't be long before we see other commercial restaurants in the parks!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Orreed
Olivia

I love the idea of Starbucks. It is fantastic in DCA but I do not agree with replacing it the iconic Main Street Bakery.
Orreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
agravette
Mouseketeer

please, oh, tell me please, they are not taking away my cinnamon rolls!!!!!!!
agravette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer

if the way it was handled at Cali is any indication, this is going to be a very classy establishment combining the Starbucks brand inside, with the Disney bakery items inside; the outside will stay themed, and the number of logos you'll see will be very small indeed.
ChoppityChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Synonymous
I know all about it, see?

This is an absolutely terrible idea. There is a Starbucks on every street corner everywhere in the country. Magic Kingdom is supposed to be special and magical. There is absolutely nothing magical about yet another Starbucks.

Offsite- 7/81, 10/90
WL- 11/99
BWV- 2/01, 6/08
VWL- 9/01, 2/02, 12/05
BCV- 11/02, 5/04, 4/06
BCV, AKL & VWL- 4/03
AKL & VWL- 11/03
SSR- 5/05, 11/07
AKV- 9/07
Synonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
SmilingGrump
Dis Dads Club Member #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonymous View Post
This is an absolutely terrible idea. There is a Starbucks on every street corner everywhere in the country. Magic Kingdom is supposed to be special and magical. There is absolutely nothing magical about yet another Starbucks.
Well said and I couldn't agree more.
DL '77, DW '79, DW '00, DW '01, DW '06, Magic '08, DW '08, DW '09, Wonder '10, DW '10, Wonder '11, Aulani '12, DDC#1 (WDW '13)

me DW DD DD
SmilingGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
if the way it was handled at Cali is any indication, this is going to be a very classy establishment combining the Starbucks brand inside, with the Disney bakery items inside; the outside will stay themed, and the number of logos you'll see will be very small indeed.
As long as the cinnamon rolls remain Disney, I don't see this as terrible. I would just hope they don't change too much in the facade.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 on the GKTW team!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
WDW-BWV
Mouseketeer

I thrilled because Disney coffee taste like something (sanka) my grsndparents used to drink. REPLACE THE SLUDGE everywhere on the property!

HoJo's WDW Village
Hilton WDW Village
Port Orleans
Poly
Widerness Lodge Villas
All Start Sports (With 40 kids!)
BW Inn
BWV - DVC
BLT - DVC

Hurricane Charlie
Tropical Storm Faye

KUNGALOOSH!
WDW-BWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by agravette
please, oh, tell me please, they are not taking away my cinnamon rolls!!!!!!!
Exactly how I feel, especially frustrated after health issues for wife caused us to cancel an Aug trip 3 days before going, and then my daughter had an emergency appendectomy, causing us to cancel our rescheduled Nov trip, which we'd be arriving today

Close the confectionery, or add a "coffee stand", even announce that main St. bakery will now feature Starbucks coffee, but don't kill a classic, and do NOT commercialize main street. This really saddens me.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive 32GB using the DISBoards App

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
I agree. It is very well done. They had Disney Bakery items (so cinnamon rolls will likely stay) and Starbucks bakery items.

The only problem I have with it is that it's super busy ALL the time in DCA! I like my Starbucks but I don't like the crazy long lines to get my cinnamon roll!

May 2010 Trip Report: 2400 pictures! Beach Club, Universal, and Bay Lake Tower Grand Villa

Feb 2012 Trip Report: Longest Trip Ever! 19 Days, VGC, Aulani, and More!

Oct 2012 Trip Report: 2 1/2 weeks in Hollywood and Disneyland!

Feb 2013 Trip Report: From Grand Villas to Fort Wilderness!

Sept 2013 Trip Report: 17 Disney Days! Too much? 5 kids! Too many?!
dr&momto2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
collegeprogram01
Mouseketeer

To me...a starbucks will seem out of place with the theming of main street. I would hate to see the MK get commercialized by popular franchises...next there will be a Dunkin Donuts next to Tony's! I hardly every disagree with what Disney does because they always seem to find a way of making it right...but I do not agree with this!

anyway there was my 2 cents!!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
mdisney31
Earning My Ears

Thumbs down Disney gets it wrong on this one

The Bakery is amazing. To turn it into a Starbucks is a horrible mistake. I think we can all agree that the coffee in DW sucks. Nescafe is just disgusting. That being said, there is no reason for them to change the Bakery. With all of the expansion in Fantasyland they could have easily added a coffee shop.
Hell, serve Starbucks everywhere in the park and charge a little more! But to put it in the Bakery? What were you thinking Disney?

You are going to create massive lines on Main Street for people wanting a decent cup of coffee. The Starbucks food quite frankly is horrible. The food that is currently being served at the Bakery is amazing.

I have always enjoyed going there in the morning for breakfast. The ham, egg, and cheese on a croissant! The cinnamon rolls! The chocolate croissants!

I certainly understand the need to give the people what they want. What the people wanted was a good cup of coffee. Not for Disney to change the quaintness of the Bakery by making it a Starbucks. Put on in Fantasyland. Make some stands like the Dole Whip stand in Adventureland. Leave the Bakery alone.
mdisney31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
collegeprogram01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdisney31 View Post
The Bakery is amazing. To turn it into a Starbucks is a horrible mistake. I think we can all agree that the coffee in DW sucks. Nescafe is just disgusting. That being said, there is no reason for them to change the Bakery. With all of the expansion in Fantasyland they could have easily added a coffee shop.
Hell, serve Starbucks everywhere in the park and charge a little more! But to put it in the Bakery? What were you thinking Disney?

You are going to create massive lines on Main Street for people wanting a decent cup of coffee. The Starbucks food quite frankly is horrible. The food that is currently being served at the Bakery is amazing.

I have always enjoyed going there in the morning for breakfast. The ham, egg, and cheese on a croissant! The cinnamon rolls! The chocolate croissants!

I certainly understand the need to give the people what they want. What the people wanted was a good cup of coffee. Not for Disney to change the quaintness of the Bakery by making it a Starbucks. Put on in Fantasyland. Make some stands like the Dole Whip stand in Adventureland. Leave the Bakery alone.
Agreed!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
coloneldebugger
Mouseketeer

Well screw it, let's replace Cinderella's Royal Table with Chili's

Everyone has wanted an Australia stop in Epcot, so let's get rid of Le Cellier with an Outback.
coloneldebugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: