Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Tell me about rides w/ your 4or 5 year old!

How did your 4 or 5 year old do at Disneyland/ California Adv. and the rides?

We are heading to Disneyland with our 4 year old in early December. We've not been since he was 18 months old. (We done 3 Disney cruises instead) But now that he is over 43 inches he can ride pretty much all the rides except 2. However 4 year old's can be unpredictable at times, so I'm trying to prep/prepare as much as possible. He loves rides generally, we go to a few local amusement parks/ fairs and he goes on all the rides. But lately he has expressed to me that thing are "scary" or he's scared with a movie etc. (like Ursula) Disneyland rides are often dark rides, so not sure if he'll love them or say he's scared. Thrill rides, roller coasters he likes a lot, and he is generally very adventurous. But the dark rides I wonder?

Any advice or experience? Thanks!!
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

anyone?
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
kristie73
Mouseketeer

My boys 5 and 9 are a little nervous about some rides. But they'll ride it and try it. They did not like Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, and the Matterhorn Bobsleds. They loved Radiator Springs Racers, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Goofy's Sky school, Pirates, Soarin, Toy Story Mania, Buzz, and Star Tours.

DH , ME , DS9 , DS5
Disneyland - Stayed at Best Western Park Place Inn, Oct 2012
Disney World - Stayed at POR for our first trip, March 21-27 2012!
Disneyland - Stayed at Disneyland Hotel, July 2010
Disneyland - Stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn, November 2006
kristie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Alex2kMommy
I'm going a little nutso myself (and Disney says I'm Goofy)and I dumped gracelessly butt-first into the pool
Who puts a hickey on an eyelid, for cryin' out loud?

I think this sort of thing varies a lot, depending on the kid. Our first trip was in 2006, and my shy, quiet DS6 loved all the thrill rides but really did NOT like Haunted Mansion. (He did like it with the Christmas overlay, just not the regular ride.)

My wild, outgoing DS2 loved everything except Tower of Terror, even the dark rides, but I think he was pretty unaware of what the meaning of some of the images were. (He liked the little birdies or fairies on Mr. Toad's, LOL!)

If you aren't sure how your child will react, take them on more 'gentle' dark rides first (Pooh, Peter Pan, etc.) and then try a bit scarier one if that goes well. When my oldest wanted to try something new that made him nervous, it helped to have Daddy right next to him.

graphic design by eatmypixiedust
Alex2kMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
ashpinoza
disneyland VET!

Really depends on the child and I think a lot of it is how rides are explained to them, but bravery is about each child independently. My DS is 4 1/2. He has gone usually twice a year since 8 months and last year was the first year he could ride pretty much everything but Indy, and screamin in CA, and he loves, LOVES, all the rides. Space, splash, haunted, pirates. But I was like that when i was his age too I am told, so bravery and adrenaline thrill runs in the DNA maybe, but I explained to him a lot that it is all fake, they are rides for fun, kids go on nervous and come out smiling. He understood it. He was a bit nervous the first times on each ride but wanted to go, and always begs to go back on them all every visit now. we visit in 2 1/2 weeks finally and he is completely powered up and can't wait to go on all the "scary" rides again lol

ashpinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

totally child specific. I figured DD4 would go on all the "nice" type rides including Little Mermaid, Small World, Pooh etc. She hated pretty much all the indoor rides. She loved rides like the Symphony Swings, Golden Zephyr, Mater's, Teacups, Dumbo, Jumpin' Jellyfish & Luigi's.

It's just hard to predict.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: