Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #136
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Sorry for being so tardy, folks!
Life gets in the way.....I was sick, I was better. Lost an aunt. And I was sick again. Thought I got better. Sick again (currently sounding like a cross between Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck).

On with the show!
Made it safely to AK in rent-a-car in about 10mins!! What was I concerned about?
Only found WDW signs slightly confusing! (More about that later!)

Todays crowd levels as per TouringPlans was a 1.1 for AK! I was glad to have read that as I wanted to get several attractions in, but did not want to waste time in line ups!

At Disney its so easy to put your blinders on, to rush from ride/attraction/show to the next, but of all the parks to slow down and savour, AK is the one.

I think Disney has done an amazing job of recreating a little bit of each area/country/continent portrayed there, just like Epcot has.
And theres been a lot of effort into designing the parks to entice us to slow down & observe.....(yes, shops too, to entice us to spend, but also to look thru!).

So, while I managed several attractions, I did explore here and there!
AK has so many little eating areas tucked away! If you just look around, you can always find a shady spot to sit out of the way! At least, in late September!
... Did you know behind Tusker House, is a great eating area, shady depending on time of day? And details! Look over & down to the riverside:

...If youre sitting out Dinosaur, for example: dont wait in the sun in front.... by the entrance to Dinosaur, walk to the left, past where they exit the ride. Theres several covered benches there, and a water fountain just beyond (Not to be confused with the smoking area just beyond).

My shoulders were sore, so I didn't bring my over-the-shoulder bag with me, just a slim runningbelt..... but next thing I'm juggling water bottle, fan, sunglasses, park maps, camera etc.... why the beep did I not bring a bigger bag.....
" yes. I then bought a Disney bellybag/fannypack. $26. One of the best $26 I spent the trip. It will never see the light of a Newfoundland Day, but yes, it sure was worth it!

Next up: close encounters on Safari!

I wanted to eat meals outside as much as possible, and my plan for AK was Pizzafari for Lunch and to sit at the Tables outside the restaurant in the shade!
" Yum Yum! No picture, no idea why not! But it was Pizzafari's Pepperoni Pizza + Salad $9.50, and Draft Bud Beer $6.00 for an early lunch. I did a walk thru of the inside, but knew where I wanted to eant my meal! At tables ringing the restaurant outside, in the shade.
With the muted music around, it was very enjoyable...I could easily have just sat back and chilled there for an hour or so!

BUT there were things to be done!
AK was hot! I was so glad there were such low crowds! Very little waiting for everything! Dinasaur was a walkon. I timed FOTLK & Finding Nemo so I could just walk in instead of lining up outside.

SAFARI! Did that 2x, and on my second go on Safari, I got closer to a Mama Rhino & her baby than I ever want to again! She & her little one walked right next to our bus......She was eye-ing us, and I tell you, a Rhino mama is one powerful and mean looking beast!
I wasn't brave enough to snap a picture until she started to move away!

In that little hut store (Mandala Gifts?) where they sell neat tshirts, purses, shoes, and jewelry,
there was this t-shirt with quite a profound quote attributed to Buddha:

But, God help me.... I couldnt help thinking I think Ill have a beer......

Instead, I tackled Kali River Rapids 2 or 3 times. Love love it!

Closing time came soon enough, and time for my 2nd drive within the US of A..... Drive out of the park, on Oceola Parkway, thinking, nothing to it, just follow the signs.....
Hmm.....oh, so when the sign says "next right"... they mean "This RIGHT TURN" not "THE RIGHT TURN AFTER THIS".... lol.

Wish I had the GPS just to show where I had gone! Let alone to keep me on the right track!
AND OMG, these are MULTIPLE MULTIPLE LANES OF TRAFFIC.....deep breath, girl, just a regular road with a few dozen extra lanes (okay, it was maybe 4 lanes wide....)
Took a exit, managed to get on familar territory (Saw Pirates Mini Golf! The one by Goodings!).

Hmm.... Well, if I'm going past DTD.....Really should pick up supper!

Yum! Earl of Sandwich! The Full Montegue & a bag of Chips $7.76
Honestly, it is one of the best deals at Disney! Always delicious and satisfying.
Hopped in the car, and was back to Pop Century before the Sandwich had a chance to cool down! No problems navigating my way back there!

Ah! Finished the last half of the beer from yesterday, a quick swim and bedtime!

Gotta say no complaints about the beds at Pop Century. Not too noisy in my part of the resort.

Next up: Got to get a run in! And moving to Boardwalk!! woo hoo!

Last edited by WalkingintheFog; 11-11-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: combining posts
WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #137
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

Last edited by WalkingintheFog; 11-11-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Combining with preceding post
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #138
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Last edited by WalkingintheFog; 11-11-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: combining w/ preceding post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #139
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Sep 27 Last Morning at Pop Century! I'm moving on up!
Can't check in at Boardwalk until 4pm, check out time here is 11am......so, the plan was to sleep in, have a wee run, have breakfast, and explore Pop Century a bit......
So much for sleeping in, it was a great night's sleep, but I'm still on NL time.... it's 5:30am here (7:00 am home) and no way can I fall back to sleep.

So, up and puttering, did some computer work.,
and then as daybreak came, I brought 1 suitcase down to the car trunk

And then went for a wee run around the Hourglass lake..... it was my first run in a week, I took my camera and rubbernecked a bit, and just took it slow.

POP Century is lovely. I can see staying here again.

Such a picturesque bridge! Almost makes you forget you're in Disney. Until you see the giant Bowling Pin!

Look Ma! I'm inside a Rubic's Cube!
Man, the hours I spent with my Rubic's Cube when I should have been studying! I had even taken it apart to grease it!
Rubic's Revenge never held the same fascination for some reason!

Love this. To me, this says "Pop Century, man"

Ah, and my first crush! (Baloo or Mowli, you decide).

It was a slow run, but it was a run!
About 10days earlier, I had pulled something, hamstring, glute, what? in my right leg, that hadn't gone away. (Had to skip Sunday's long slow run (it was a half marathon) 2 days before my trip.
The doctor feels just a matter of stretching and warming it up, and time will heal, but man, it's painful in the mornings (started taking Ibuprofen at night).

It definitely loosens, the longer I walked, & the run was not bad. So, yeah, I'll be okay! stretching is key! And so glad the run will be at night!

With that relief in mind, I had breakfast, loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly!
err.. I loaded the car and moved to Boardwalk!

Next up: Boardwalk, soft opening of Wine & Dine, and here comes the rain!

Last edited by WalkingintheFog; 11-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #140
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Ooo, I like that spot behind Tusker House that you showed us. Looks like a hidden gem that I'll have to look for next time! Thanks!

I had to laugh at your "I think I'll have a beer" comment after that Buddha quote. Nice one!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #141
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Sep 27 Thur The Boardwalk Adventure begins!!!!
I arrive Boardwalk before Noon, and as expected, my room wasn't ready, so I leave my bags w/ the luggage room, park the car in the self parking area, and walk over to EPCOT.

Yahoo, Soft opening of Food and Wine Festival!!!! Official start is tomorrow Sep 28, but many vendors open a day earlier!

My plan to have a Schwarma Platter at Tangierine Cafe in Morocco went right out the window! (for the time being!)

Most food items were priced from $3-$6, (and most, not all, are snack options if you're on the dining plan!).
I heard people complain that the samples are expensive, but I disagree:
5 of those samples combined are more food than I'd have on my plate for $25 at many restaurants (and this is nice food, not cheap food!)
So, I have no problems spreading my lunch and/or supper out over a few hours (way better for the digestion!)

First place I came to that was open was Singapore:

At 12:30pm, Singapore: this is the Beef Randang w/ Jasmine Rice for $3.25
It was hot! And good! yum yum yum!

Next place to catch my eye was South Korea:

The folks at that station were quite personable, and struck a pose when they saw my camera coming out!

At 1:00 pm South Korea: this is the Lettuce Wrap w/ Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw for $3.25 yum!

Mmm what's next?
Terra... what the heck is that?

At 1:10pm Terra it's Vegan......It's delicious!!! This is the Chili Colorado with Housemade Chips and CashewCheese featuring Gardein Beefless Tips.... Big title for sweet morsels that melted in my mouth!

Oh, and Hawai'i!

At 1:20pm, I've got their Kahlua Pork Slider w/ Sweet & Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise $3.25
and a Kona Brewing Company Big Wave Golden Ale 6 oz $3.
The beer was better than the food. Except for the small bits of Chutney, I found the pork dry.
....it's the first thing I had any thing negative to say about the food!

Oops, it's almost past the time I can still consider it to be lunch time! Better keep moving!
I see Greece & Canada on my horizon!

So, at 1:40 pm I'm in sunny Greece! Mmm-mmm!
This is the Greek Salad w/ Pita Bread $3.00
and Griddled Greek Cheese w/ Pistachios and Honey $3.25
Delish!!!!

1:45pm Canada! My home and native land!
12 oz Moosehead beer $6.75 & Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup! $4
(it was really really really good!)

And, at 2:30pm, a midday dessert from Champagne:

It's the dessert trio!
Yogurt Panna Cotta w/ Orange Cake , Raspberries and Pomegranate
Lemon-Custard Verrine w/ Blueberry Compote
Dark Chocolate Mousse w/ Chilli and Salted Caramel
Best upsell in the park: you decide to order 2 ($1.50 each), and they suggest all 3 for $3.75.

I wasn't too keen on the Orange cake part of it, but all the rest were so good!

Note to self: try to make some version of the dark choc one w/ chili & salted caramel.... maybe involving cream cheese and/or phyllo pastry.... (a mini turnover? pain au chocolat w/ chili & coarse salt?

Question: Why in the heck is it the Food and Wine Festival, but the Wine and Dine Half Marathon?
I was wondering why I couldn't get the name straight, so looked at the brouchures I had, and realized that each has a separate name! uh?

And 4:03pm there's my text! DVC BWV Standard Studio room is ready! (maybe it was ready before, maybe they just don't send out texts until 4pm??). Whew! I needed an event to separate my Lunch time from from Supper time! Eating is serious business!

************next up: Moving into BWV & I tackle the highways again!

Last edited by WalkingintheFog; 11-11-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Combined subsequent post w/ this.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #142
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Last edited by WalkingintheFog; 11-11-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Combining w/ preceding post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #143
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Is there anything sweeter than walking thru Epcot right to your resort????!!!!!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #144
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

YUM! Cheddar cheese soup! Why is it that I live in Canada and can not find this soup here?? hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingintheFog View Post
Is there anything sweeter than walking thru Epcot right to your resort????!!!!!
Wow, I'm pretty jealous!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #145
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
YUM! Cheddar cheese soup! Why is it that I live in Canada and can not find this soup here?? hahaha

Wow, I'm pretty jealous!

Lol, years ago, a sister was at a buffet somewhere here in Canada (Halifax comes to mind), and was going back for her 2nd bowl of cheddar soup....
Her friends said, "What? Cheddar soup? We didn't see that...."
She said, "It's over there. Right by the nachos......Oh."

Old 11-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #146
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Let the Boardwalk Adventure begin! Countdown to the inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler!!!

Suppertime Thursday Sep 27 2012
Got to room, 4073. Lovely! Checked out the view... hmm, right above the front entrance where people unload....hmm, can't be too bad.

Time to get Groceries! And a couple key items (small electric skillet, cooler & campchair) meant to enhance stay at BWV, and needed for the next part of my adventure Camping at the Fort!

Scoped out Google Earth for directions to SuperWalmart (lol, didn't realize it til last couple days in Florida, but each Disney Resort has their own version of a road map of Disney & surrounding area. IT GIVES driving directions to certain big malls,etc FROM THAT RESORT!
Google Earth was actually great, because I got an idea of possible alt routes, etc.

On the road there before 5pm, no problems following my directions from Google Earth.

I figured I'd be in and out within 1.5 hours... ie before it got dusky.
.....but in the store, I could hear this pitter patter, then a constant beating on the roof: Rain! And it poured AND POURED AND POURED! and there was thunder! (and apparently lightning, but I did not know that).
I was willing to wait for the rain to stop, but not if it meant driving back in the dark!
Thankfully, at 7:10 when I left, the sky was mostly blue again, getting a bit dusky, but the rain was done with.

And, I got everything I needed, including cooler/chair/electric skillet for $50 total!

I wear a Garmin watch for my runs... and sometimes for my drives and walks.....
Here’s the route coming back from Walmart Superstore (except for ramps at turns, it is the same route down):

Love my little DVC BWV Studio kitchenette! Counter is great! The cupboards were great, but I'm sure they're too high for many women of average height or less!

And the fridge mostly filled (still had eggs, bread, juices, water to go in. lol, that looks like a lot of beer....But I was there for 2 weeks! And I didn't drink them alllllll!)

Next Fall, I'm considering a split stay including a studio at BLT... their kitchenette is part of the same alcove as the vanity...that's weird. .. and the counter there is more like a hutch for a computer desk, ... I like the BWV layout better.

8pm, headed to EPCOT for Fi & Chi (dang, left my roomcard, took my visa instead.... ) & fireworks. Found a nice family sitting down on the bridge, sat down behind them to eat my Fish & Chips. We chatted as we waited for the show
(it was so annoying to hear every 2-5 mins : Ladies and Gentlemen.......in just 30/25/20/18/15/13/10 etc mins........Illuminations.........!

During the show, the very little boy asked what's that? And Daddy says, that's Planet Earth. The little boy says, it can't be.... we're on the planet earth!
lol!

Back to room, unpacked my suitcase & got a cup of tea....... Ahhh!
Disney! Fireworks, warm weather, and walking! Loves it!

Next up: EXPO FRIDAY!!!!

Last edited by WalkingintheFog; 11-11-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #147
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

The Boardwalk Adventure Sep 28 Todayís main event: Tower of Terror 10miler Race Packet Pickup & Expo

Slept well, but woke early... man itís noisy out there, lots of rolling & banging noises!

Today's park plan was to spend few hours at DHS, then ESPN for expo/race packet pickup, and to finish the day with Fantasmic at DHS.

After breakfast in the room, I drove to DHS (started to walk, but the muscles are not warmed up in my leg yet, so took the car instead).
I got to DHS shortly after ropedrop, did Star Tours 2x in a row!
Backlot studio tours was closed for rehab or some other reason. darn.
But there was a great little area across from it, just a small grove of trees & umbrellas with 8 or so small tables w/ chairs. Sat and played w/ new iPhone for a while. Asked a cast member going by if wifi in the park....lol, think they rolled it out later that day or the next!

Drove to ESPN for expo/packet pickup just before noon, planning on ESPN Grill lunch first.... prob wonít do that again: the ESPN grill is expensive for a mediocre lunch: $15 for the wings & fries!!!!
While not a lot of freebies or samples at the WDW expos, there were some good bargains, especially at the Grassroots Sports (60-80% off various brands, same thing last Sep!).
Picked up some sunglasses on OneMoreMile (love love love OMM running shirts! perfect for the climate here home! I've 3 long slvd, 2 short slvd, 1 tank top, and 1 set of sleeves (brought the sleeves w/ me and often put them on during AC chilled bus rides to parks/resorts).

Also picked up an iphone pouch & 2 fuel bottles/cases for my iFitness belt- love my iFitness belt!

Argued with myself about buying runDisney gear & a few more costly items... decided maybe I'd come back the next day, and if still available, it would mean I was meant to buy them!.

4 hours after arriving at ESPN, I left the Expo area: . Oh oh!.. It's pouring out of the heavens ..
(is there a "Rain" smilie? .......hmmm, isn't a frowning smilie an oxymoron? Sorry! I digress!
It's pouring hard! May as well go back to the Expo now! I must be meant to buy those items I was waffling on.
I turn to go back in, but as I watched, the volunteer manning the door that led from EXPO area to lobby was denying re-entry to another lady who had come out behind me:
The moment you leave the expo hall, they won't let you turn around and go back in the out door... No NO NO! If you wish to reenter., you must leave by the appropriate exit and walk around the building to the appropriate entrance..... Hello? Thru the heavy rain? Why? There was no lineup at that entrance to enter the EXPO, due to the aforementioned pounding rain (!!!)
It was a poor judgement call I felt. Yes, Volunteers have their instructions, but it was pouring rain.... Somebody should have put it together! Runners shop at Expos!

Pretty sure my sneakers would have gotten soaked thru, so I decided I was staying put until the rain stopped!
I bought a frozen lemonade (not the beautiful slushy ones they sell at AK & other places, but those frozen hard Minute Maid ones that you have to scrape at!....& sat out on the covered balcony til the rain stopped. Certainly saved myself a couple hundred vacation dollors.

Back to BWV, dropped my loot, made supper (Kraft Dinner in the hot pot , my trusted pre run carb load) and then headed to DHS for a bit of store browsing & Fantasmic!

While walking to DHS (oh! I am so loving staying at an EPCOT resort!!! You can walk to EPCOT or DHS in the length of time you even wait for a bus! And then thereís the option of taking the boat

........While walking to DHS, the iPhone rings .... lol, not used to that ringing yet, and itís Tina! Tina of Camping at the Fort! Calling to check in on me!
If youíve read the beginning of this trippie (starts w/ my pretrippie), youíll know that this trip had 2 main purposes: the first was I was coming to Run Disney! And then, I was going to be able to fulfill my 1980's dream of camping at Fort Wilderness!

My plan was to bring everything I needed in my baggage:
Another Disser had mentioned the Camping at the Fort offered a Tenting Package, so I had checked out Tinaís site re the Tenting Package she offered for a family of four, but as I mentioned in earlier posts, while a fabulous deal for a family wanting to camp, it was way too much gear for me. But, out of the blue, Tina reached out to me offering to lend me just whatever items I couldnít manage to bring! We agreed that when time drew close, Iíd get in touch to let her know what I still needed. (I like to think she had read various posts of mine & felt a kindred spirit! Sure, good will creates good publicity, but thatís perfectly fair!)

That offer was that little push I needed! I could do this! I can go camping at the Fort!

Being stubborn, I was still going to try to do it completely on my own & bring all down, but there was that comfort zone! If I absolutely had to leave anything big but vital out, Iíd get that from Tina.

I knew that Iíd be more comfortable in my tent/mattress/bedding: had set up all before, slept well in all before, outlasted heavy rains in all before.

As the summer/fall progressed, from other posts on the Dis, it was evident Tina had been keeping a low profile & her site mentioned health issues. By then, I was almost 100% confident I was able to do it on my own, so I sent her an email & PM to let her know that there was no need to try to accommodate me, that I would manage to bring down all I needed, and to buy any thing else down there. I just wanted to be sure that, with whatever stressors she might be having, that I would not be one of them.

Having done that, I added some more items from home, and decided that all I truly needed that I couldnít/wouldnít bring down, I could buy there: Cooler, Campchair, and small electric skillet. A bike would be great, but not essential. Same thing with a screen house. On yesterdayís trip to Target to get groceries, I picked up nice sized Cooler, great campchair & Electric Skillet for total $50. Gotta love end of season prices.

And here she is checking in with me to be sure Iím going to manage! She tells me her husband is bringing down an RV the next day for a renter at The Fort, so we do a quick run thru of what Iíve bought & what I figured Iíd do without & what sheíll get her husband to drop off to me the next day (eg a more powerful fan, and bigger thicker cooler, and another heavy duty extension cord). (Unfortunately, no bike!)
We had a lovely conversation! I was so pleased to have spoken with Tina!
By the time the call is done, Iím at DHS, and itís dark!

Fantasmic! is great, never fails to please! And to know that I did not have to stand in a crowded line to get the bus back to my resort, or drive back on the roads!
Man I am Loving the EPCOT Resorts!!!!
So, I take my time strolling thru to stores & walking back
A brief stop to check out the general store at BWV for a teatime snack (box of mini choc chip cookies, that lasted me a week), and back up to the room to check loot from the Expo!

Excited for tomorrow!
Next up tomorrow: Chilling at Blizzard Beach and then! 10pm! It's the Inaugural Running of the Disney Tower of Terror 10 Miler!!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #149
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Enjoying your TR !! One of my bucket list items is to do some tent camping at FW someday, too. Can't wait to read about your adventure !!
Thanks jecskc! That adventure starts a bit further down the TR! Got a few more boardwalk days to talk about first!

The Boardwalk Adventure Sep 29
Todayís main event: Tower of Terror 10miler Race

Woo hoo! Today's the day for my FIRST REAL DISNEY RUN (Because last yearís 5k was just a teaser!):

First order of the day: the breakfast of Champions!
(I stayed at BWV, loved the convenience of a small kitchenette!)

I went to Blizzard Beach around noon for 3 or 4 hrs, had lunch there,
back to the resort, bit of a nap, and then strolled on over to DHS for the run

The Run!

Here's the route we took!

And here's a close up of the DHS portion:

This race was brutal, yet an amazing experience.
Months before the run, my 10 miler goal was 100 minutes.
But ultimately, given various aches & the fact that I had a half marathon for 2 wks later, I had decided to treat this nothing more than a long slow run, and to take it as slow as I wanted (I finished in just over 2 hrs).

Despite arriving earlier in the week to hopefully become somewhat acclimated to the humidity, I gotta say, it was Brutal!!!
Awesome, but Brutal! Even Floridians were saying the same thing!
I so wanted a weigh scale right after! I'm sure I lost more than 7 lbs in dripping sweat! despite drinking every chance I had!
Somewhere around the 5 mile mark it felt like my right arch collapsed (& the pain plagued me for 3-4 days until I got an arch support (at Walgreens)...I only needed to wear it 1-2 days)

After the run, I was so exhausted (that humidity totally drained me!), I just wanted to find a spot to lie down in (figured not smart, as they might think I passed out!).
It felt like we had to walk a mile to the bag check... it was from Tower of Terror to the Indiana Jones Stage (after running 10 miles, they made us walk that distance... line up... go DOWN stairs....over the stage to get our checked bags... and then UP the stairs

All that being said, it was AWESOME!!!! Even running with pain, you still get the runners high!

A funny thing about being a runner, is that, no matter how much pain youíre experiencing, before you even finish, you start planning for the next time!
Next Disney run:
  • do meet up w/ others in pace group before the run (I had intended to do so, but somehow didnít have so much time for planning in the month before the trip nor in the 5 days once I arrived!)
  • donít just bring Resort room/charge card, bring actual cash/credit card (would have like my medal engraved!)
  • really study the maps for the finish line & finish area! (Part of the thrill of finishing a run is seeing that Finish Line and just booting it! But for this TOT, there was no long straight approach to the Finish line... you came around the corner, and there it was... so that was a letdown.
  • don't bother w/ bag check next time....unless I don't stay at an BWV or I decide I need a pillow & blanket for a little nap right after, lol!
  • have a plastic shopping bag in waistpack to hold odds & ends I get between the finish line and wherever!

Cool medal!!! Check it out!

Here's the goodie box (next time, make it a bag please) they gave us at the finish line (and a bottle of water, and a banana)... my arms were full, I had to ask someone to open the water bottle for me:

I didnít stay for the after party, too drained to even think coherently!!
After 20 mins or so of recovery & stretching, I found my way to the bag check area, sat for a while.
I know at some point I ran into a couple ladies that I spent 20 mins chatting to before I got in my corral.
I figured I'd better head back to the resort while I was able to navigate! I headed back to Boardwalk, but God love Disney, there was a bus marked Boardwalk.... managed to climb aboard, got to the resort in 10 mins or so, showered, in bed by 2 am, intending to sleep as long as I needed (figured 7 hrs, min, 9 hrs max)....

Next up: CRASH BOOM BANG!)

Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #150
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

The Boardwalk Adventure Sep 30
Todayís schedule: letís just sleep in, relax, and EPCOT for some good eats!

6am-ish: Crash BOOM BANG... I was awakened about 6am! I put the cursed airplugs in and back to sleep for another few hours, got up, stretched, had breakfast (lunch at that point), had an Epson salt bath.

By 1, I knew I had to go down to the Front Desk to tell them I needed a change of room! I could not deal with the noise nor the guys working down below staring whenever I went out to the balcony...... I never expected it to be quiet, but I didn't expected it to be like that either! No way would I last 4 more mornings at Boardwalk!

(I know... I know... as soon as the CM said I've got a great room for you, not too far from the elevator, I should have said "not by the luggage area, is it?", but I was distracted.... temporarily insane, who knows.....).

Anyhow, it turned out they had no room available to move me to until the next day. They would not state which room number, but showed vaguely which floor & range of rooms I'd be in, and I was fine with that.
I was frustrated that it meant I had to pack everything up, send it down to baggage check and then wait for the new room to be ready...... but, that was better than staying in the current room!
They "kindly" waived the normal fee for changing rooms $30.

(Hereís the scoop on requesting a room change after checked in:
  • subject to room availability (that's a given)
  • expect a room change fee of $30
  • must be requested BEFORE! 11:00am. (they cite mousekeeping as the reason).
  • once they/you decide it's doable, you have to vacate the room by 11:00am (luggage to luggage services) and they will send you a text when new room available....which I suspect actually means they will send you a text AT/AFTER the normal checkin time
  • if requested AFTER! 11:00am, you can only do change for next day

EPCOT!!!
I headed on out to EPCOT around 3 or so, turned left at Canada (yes, ate there:
Had the "Le Cellier" Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon w/ Truffle Butter Sauce for $6.50 & 6 oz Moosehead beer $3.50

As I made my way around Future World, I could see the dark clouds, and was wondering how far could I get before the deluge, & where best to be during it... supper comes to mind! at Via Napoli....
If you don't try, you'll never know! So I presented myself at the Via Napolie podium, somewhere around 7pm... any chance of a walk up ... at a table inside, not outside, party of one?
Most certainly she said, but you might need to wait 5 or 10 mins, is that alright?
lol, silly girl, of course it is!
There were other people in line, but time passed quickly, as everyone was chatting with one another.

I was pleased that I had a table in the room to the side, next to the folding patio doors/windows..... The Rain came down hard before I even placed my drink order! What timing!!!

And what did I have there?
Mmm..... $11 Arancini - Fried saffron risotto balls filled with mozzarella and meat ragu

& $19 Pizza Funghi (mushrooms!)

Dessert: $9 Tiramisu

I know there are people who canít bring themselves to dine at a restaurant alone for various reasons, but Iím not one of those. Why deny myself such a pleasure?
It was delicious, and so worth it! The side room was great, not overly crowded & relatively quiet, the wait staff friendly, polite and attentive.

It was about 8:45 when I left, so I managed to watch Illuminations again, just to the side of the American Adventure and Japan.
It wasn't crowded at all, I guess a lot of people left with the heavy rains!

After the fireworks, back to BWV for the night! Time to rest my aching foot! Barely noticed the other aches due to that!

So, after another soak in the bath & stretch, bedtime again!
Good night all!

Next up: Epcot's 30th Anniversary! And a room change!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: