Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
I am super sleepy these days too! Can only be the weather and decreasing light where I am, up here on the 43rd parallel. It is getting dark so early and staying dark in the mornings. It seems we have 0800-1800 only and it will just get worse!

My rest day was Tuesday. I suppose my next will be Monday after the HM on Sunday. I like rest days :-) I also like the rest of the day after a long run: no guilt and I feel proud! And the next one is a week away!
That's one thing I love about my current training program. I do a shorter run on Tuesdays, longer run on Wednesdays, another shorter run on Thursdays (speed work usually) and my long run on Saturdays. Every other day is a rest day and I get 2 off after my long runs.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
That's one thing I love about my current training program. I do a shorter run on Tuesdays, longer run on Wednesdays, another shorter run on Thursdays (speed work usually) and my long run on Saturdays. Every other day is a rest day and I get 2 off after my long runs.
Well I guess I am having more rest days from running, but trying to do cross-training on the days that I am not running, with one rest day with no planned workout.

Lately my cross training has been mostly hot yoga, with some swimming, hiking, and biking also thrown in there. I like the hot yoga because I can feel it toning my core and my upper body, and helping to balance out my legs, and helping me stretch some more in my legs which tend to be very tight. I find it hard to go out for an hour+ bike ride - it is pretty far and I get bored. But 60-75 minutes of yoga seems to go by pretty fast, and I even get some god heart rate changes with some of the more difficult poses.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
Well I guess I am having more rest days from running, but trying to do cross-training on the days that I am not running, with one rest day with no planned workout.

Lately my cross training has been mostly hot yoga, with some swimming, hiking, and biking also thrown in there. I like the hot yoga because I can feel it toning my core and my upper body, and helping to balance out my legs, and helping me stretch some more in my legs which tend to be very tight. I find it hard to go out for an hour+ bike ride - it is pretty far and I get bored. But 60-75 minutes of yoga seems to go by pretty fast, and I even get some god heart rate changes with some of the more difficult poses.
I know I should do more X-Training; however to be totally honest with you, I have a difficult time juggling my running schedule as it is. That's my most challenging task. My current week is like this...

4 miles Tuesday (no problem)
7 miles Wednesday (really challenging time wise)
4 miles Thursday (also, no problem)
15 miles this Saturday (tough since I have to work)

I'm the Sales Manager for a large company. I'm also a youth pastor at a large church. That doesn't even account for family time. My wife is an accountant so we're constantly trying to take care of the family affairs (homework, spending time with our kids, cleaning, groceries, cooking, etc..) Our time gets really taken up quickly as you can imagine (and we're no different than most families anymore).

I have incorporated family activities in many X-training that I've been able to do like family biking or family hiking days on Sundays after my long runs on Saturday. During the summer, we were swimming alot too.

Unfortunately though, I'm not able to do anything on a schedule or routine consistently enough, but I do try to get in what I can.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Today's long run of 15 miles was my toughest training run to date. It wasn't unbearably tough like other long runs I've had when I was run/walking, but I did have to push through to finish on pace. I did the 15 miles in 2:22.43. My legs are obviously heavy, but no soreness necessarily in calves or knees as I sometimes feel post long-run. I've got a couple of hours to work so we'll see how I feel after sitting at my desk for a while. I'll have to make a point of getting up every so often to walk around; however I'm staying upstairs until I leave if I can help it. Walking up the stairs to my office was fun. lol.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Felt good to get back out and run this morning after Saturday's new distance record w/o walking. I woke up at 2:30am to hear it raining outside. I was worried it would thwart my outside running this morning, but I was glad to see it had stopped and cooled things off nicely. My 4 miler was about :30 slower than I usually run it, but it was happy with it regardless. I felt good and pushed it hard the second half.

This week will be a fairly easy week compared to next week. I do 7 miles tomorrow, 4 Thursday and then 13.1 on Saturday. I'm not actually running in a half-marathon, but that's just what my training program called for.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

This morning's 7 miler was fast. I didn't think it would be after struggling with the first 3 or 4 miles. Seems like those are always the toughest miles of any run anymore. I settled in and ran the 7 miler at a 9mm avg. It was a good run and I fnished the final 3 miles under 9mm pace to bring that average down.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #22
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

It was really tough getting up to run this morning. As much as I love to run in the cold weather, it's tough to leave a toasty, warm bed to go outside and run in 32 degree weather.....but I pushed through this morning! I'm such a dedicated trooper. lol.

This morning's run was pretty fast. I didn't go crazy on the pace, but Thursdays are the day I do tend to push myself a little more and do alot of fartleks on the last half of my run.

My 4 miler this morning was the best one I've had in over a month. This weekend will be a nice break as I only have to run a half-marathon distance. Next week will be my toughest week and most mileage to date. I guess I better enjoy the rest of this "easy" week.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Hey Drag! I haven't been on WISH in quite a while but thought I'd peek in and see how you were doing! I'm going to be starting C25K over again (probably in about 2 weeks will be my projected start over date).

Hope you and your family is doing well!

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
Hey Drag! I haven't been on WISH in quite a while but thought I'd peek in and see how you were doing! I'm going to be starting C25K over again (probably in about 2 weeks will be my projected start over date).

Hope you and your family is doing well!
Really is good to hear from you! Everyone's great on my end. How about with you?

Best of luck to you on your C25K reboot!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

We are doing well! All of us are hanging in there! Dev graduated from High School and had a few bumps in the road but she is back on track now (hopefully)!

My hubby has actually taken up biking to and from work and he is loving it! I'm not sure I could ever do that, so I'm going to get back to running. I had really gotten to a point where I really loved it. I'm so disappointed in myself for falling so far off the wagon. Ah well, guess I just need to pick myself back up and try again!

My blog!!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #26
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Just remember with running, you've got to put one foot in front of the other! Can't wait to hear how your progress is once you get started back.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Saturday's half-marathon run was a PR for me! I finished my scheduled 13.1 mile run in 1:57.51 which was 4 minutes better than my previous best! It wasn't an actual race. It's just what I had on my marathon training schedule to run. I decided I wanted to push it a little and ran it faster than my marathon pace just to see what I could do. I was glad I did. I didn't go all out crazy or anything, but did have to push pretty hard to finish as I did, but I think I could honestly finish in 1:55 or so if it was an actual race. That would be 15 minutes off my race PR (although the one half-marathon race I ran, I had severe cramping which caused my time to be off so much).
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #28
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

I missed yesterday morning's 4 miler. I've been working long days lately at work (worked until 9 the past 2 nights) and I slept in a few extra minutes before heading into the office at 6am. I knew I couldn't miss this morning's 8 mile run. I jumped out of the bed and got dressed quickly. My pre-run morning routine always includes a visit to the potty. Sorry if TMI, but it is necessary for this story. Since I needed to get in 8 miles and get to work as quickly as possible, I made that visit rather short.

About 4 miles into my run (and as far away from my house as I could be), I felt it hit me! I had to go to the bathroom so bad. I was able to run back home and finish my run, but it was rather uncomfortable. I was really on pace to have a great run, and it wasn't bad, but it's hard to give your best effort when you're running with clenched butt cheeks!

All in all, I had a good run though and it was really nice getting back out there this morning after not running since my half marathon PR Saturday.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Hate it when that happens! Glad you got your run in though!

My blog!!

Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #30
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Today's run was less eventful than yesterday's. I enjoyed my 4 miler and it was a fast one. One of my fastest 4 milers in a while. I can tell that Saturday's 1/2 marathon PR pace helped me this week on my runs to keep my pace from being too terribly slow the first few miles. I've had to pull the reigns back to keep from going out too fast, but I'm comfortable with the pace I've been at. Looking forward to attempting a new distance record w/o walking this Saturday. My training calls for 17 miles. We're going camping with some friends from church so I'll head out early Saturday to get the run in before I have to leave. DW and DD's are heading to the camp site Friday night and I'll be meeting them there Saturday afternoon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: