Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
lts5
Earning My Ears

college credits

Hi, My daughter is going to start in Jan with the Spring program. I have a question concerning college credit. She attends Rutgers and she told me that she will be getting 3 credits from the Disney program, 6 credits from online courses she registered with for Rutgers, and that because she is in the Rutgers honors college, that they will give her an additional 3 credits because they can do that. Does this sound right to anyone? Can a college just say I am giving you 3 credits without having anything to show for it just because they are an Honors college department? Just looking to get some thoughts on this, as my sister in law is interested in this for her daughter but we just can not see a college saying ,,, oh ok, you can have these extra 3 credits because we say you can... Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
mckennerk
Earning My Ears

That sounds very fishy! Could you dd have heard Rutgers wrong? Maybe they are familiar with the DCP and will give her the credits at the end of the program when she submits a transcript. Did she ask what the 3 credits would be for? i.e. elective, internship, etc.
mckennerk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
lts5
Earning My Ears

She said she was getting 3 credits for the honors college independent study. That if they need to make it up they can cause they are an honors college program. I don't know I just hate to see her lose her scholarship if it's not legit.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
NguyMH
Earning My Ears

It is very possible that she is getting independent study credit. This will count toward the credit that you have earned in college however this is not a GPA associated with credits (similar to passing an AP test, you are given credit for the course but they will not give you a 4.0 for that credit).

At OU, all honor college students are required at least 18 Honors credit to graduate with honors (cum laude) but out of that 18 only 6 are mandatory classes the other can be complete via honors courses, independent research, honors independent reading, and independent study. I did independent research during college career.

Independent study ultimately depends on the professor and the dean that is give her credit for it.

I hope this helped.
NguyMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: