Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Big Vic
DIS Veteran

Race Reports/Encouragement/Kudos - 3 and 4 November

Saturday, 3 Nov

3 - KippWade(Kipp), RunRookie (Rick) Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon, IN
3 - McDuck (Jennie) Freedom Run, New Orleans, LA

Sunday, 4 Nov

4 - jmasgat (Maura), New York Marathon, New York City, NY - Event Canceled.

GO! WISH Team GO!

Last edited by Big Vic; 11-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

I have a 5k zombie obstacle on sunday. I am little scared. Its my first race ever and it is a mudder type course and it is expected to be in the high 40s. I am going to be wet and slimy and freezing! What have I gotten myself into?????

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Run strong, WISHers!

Sadly, my injuries caused me to back out of NYC marathon. Would have faced the decision of whether to go or not--a tough one given the current circumstances.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Maura, It's not often that an injury could be looked at as a blessing. No way would I want to have decide on running or throwing out my fee.

I think I would have punted last week just based on living through numerous hurricanes and even more tropical events. There is no way the RD should hold this race this weekend. There are too many folks still suffering, too much infrastucture down and the NYRCC and City really should have donated the food and water. After looking at Staten island vids this AM, I am not sure that I would feel safe catching transportation to the start. These folks really need a few thousand hands to help clear streets and yards and to help put things back in order. They do not need thousands of runners leaving heaps of trash and peeing on the streets.

ADDED___ Thankfully the NYRCC and City have gained a little common sense and canceled the race.

For me this weekend is the First Annual Formula Run - a 5.5k on the purpose built Circuit of the Americas. Hoping for a nice run in the AM
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/

Last edited by cewait; 11-02-2012 at 06:44 PM.
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
McDuck
DIS Veteran

I never knew about these cheering threads!! Excited about my second race! They're addictive.

McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
gjramsey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
For me this weekend is the First Annual Formula Run - a 5.5k on the purpose built Circuit of the Americas. Hoping for a nice run in the AM
Shoot, wish I knew about this before tonight. I would love to run on the track.
gjramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjramsey View Post
Shoot, wish I knew about this before tonight. I would love to run on the track.
Race day registration opens at 0630!
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
McDuck
DIS Veteran

New PR--35:52 for the 5K. My first race was 40:16, so I'm pretty excited!

McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Congrats,Jennie!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
cewait
DIS Veteran

Formula Run this AM. Not sure how F1 measures reach tracks but my Garmin only got to 3.3 miles of the 3.4 mile track. Usually it is the other way where the Garmin goes a little long.

Not a stellar performance on my part nor RunTex's; though I think they were hamstrung by the track. The race started 35 minutes late and in the fog. Really glad for the fog as the first quarter mile was a 100 foot incline up to a near 180 degree left turn. I would love to say it was all down hill from there but not so much. Because we are 2 weeks before the inaugural F1 race, the RD was limited by the track owner on many things. Only one water stop, no timing on track and very limited use of the pit facilities. Runner’s were only allowed one visitor to the track and they had to be wrist banded. They had no access to the stands.

As with most large construction projects, there are still hundreds of workers in the area completing stands and other facilities. Aerosmith will be there next weekend in the really nice concert pavilion that is part of the complex.

The race was not unlike most 5k’s as there were more than enough folks in the front who should have been in the back at the start. Seems like every corner and hill there were hundreds of folks pulling off to the side and taking photos of the facility. It was Disneyesque; seriously. The other really close tie to the mouse was this is the most expensive fun run I have entered and it provided no timing. So getting past the delayed start, a slight lack of facilities and no timing, this was a fun run
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Yay . I survived! There was mud mud and oh yeah, mud!

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Myself and a fellow WISHer, KippWade, ran the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon last Saturday. It was a great race, very cold, wet (even sleet) but he and I both finished the race, with Kipp coming in with an 11-minute PR!

He and I have race reports on the experience. Mine is on my blog (and I have a link to his within my own report).

Definitely a nice race and I would recommend it! (It has historically had much milder weather. I guess we were just lucky this year.)
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013

Last edited by RunRookie; 11-06-2012 at 06:47 AM.
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

WTG, Rick! How wonderful of you to pace someone for the entire half marathon! I think it can take a lot to "check one's ego at the door" and not to race (well....it's probably just me!) He was lucky to have you as a pacer.

Maura

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: